BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on the freeway cruising at the speed limit (, for once, I'm usually doing 10 over like everyone else but I saw him when I got on :1: ). He sits a couple lanes over for a minute or two then pulls me over and writes me up for tint on my two front door windows (granted, this was not in the M5 but I figured you guys could help me out all the same since pretty much all you guys have your cars tinted lol).

Now, does anyone have any advice here?

As I understood it, tint was secondary offense in CA, so he can not pull me over for it and it only. Is this true?

Secondly, is anyone on good terms with a nice officer that would sign me off without me having to spend the money ripping the tint off my car to have it put back on 2 days later?

Anyone know if a medical excuse works?

Revo

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Not true, he can pull you over just for the tints, I had it on my G35 for one day!! and had to pull the damn thing off. I even have a tenant who is a cop and he said he would write if off but if I get stopped again then it just adds more trouble than it's worth.

Pulled it off and never put it back on again.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You're lucky he didn't write you a ticket for NOT driving the M.. (just kidding)

Seriously i had a friend with a Range Rover who would get tints off whenever he got a ticket and would literally drive to the shop to put the tints back on after leaving the police station.. :haha:. he did it like 3-4 times..

Getting a cop to get you off by signing the order with tints still in place is a no-no.. you don't want to go there.. You already know what you have to do.. Get them off and put them back on or put on lighter percentage next time..

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're lucky he didn't write you a ticket for NOT driving the M.. (just kidding)

Seriously i had a friend with a Range Rover who would get tints off whenever he got a ticket and would literally drive to the shop to put the tints back on after leaving the police station.. :haha:. he did it like 3-4 times..

Getting a cop to get you off by signing the order with tints still in place is a no-no.. you don't want to go there.. You already know what you have to do.. Get them off and put them back on or put on lighter percentage next time..
I think the part that bothers me the most is this law is totally just selective enforcement.

It's not like they pull over everyone with tint or everyone with tint that's "X" dark. They just pull over who they feel like when they feel like writing a ticket.

The car went 6-7 years (4+ of them me driving it) without every getting tint written up.

I drive past a sheriffs station on the way to school daily (and spend hours parked in the lot across the street from it 2-3 times a week when I'm eating lunch with friends). Been pulled over and written up for speeding without a mention of the tint. Sat at stop lights next to cops COUNTLESS times without being hassled. Even drove it the courthouse to fight my speeding tickets. hiha

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In Ohio there is a medical exemption. Needless to say, I have one...
Unfortunately there is no written section of the law that allows medical exceptions in CA, but unless I missed it when I read through, there is no exemption either, so better to have one than not. Time to make a doctors appointment I guess.

Anyone else have advice?

·
Registered
345 Posts
ive tried the medical excuse with a valid doctor's letter with a full explanation but the judge didnt even give me the time of day. im sure it could work if you plead not guilty and set a trial date and go through all the hassle but its not worth it when you can have it taken off and put back on for around $60-70. i wouldn't rely on a doctor's not in any way. as far as getting pulled over, a police officer can pull you over for no reason or any reason they like. there's nothing you can do about that. when you're getting a speeding ticket the officer is usually "satisfied" and doesnt feel it necessary for another ticket on top of that unless you really piss them off. otherwise when youre following the law, and they're in a bad mood or jealous of your car or whatever then they'll revert to anything they can cite you for.
best advice possible is to ALWAYS roll down your windows when you see an officer around. im always looking around for cops and quickly roll down the windows when i see one around. i can usually go 2-3 years at a time without a ticket and this is in the middle of busy LA. when i do get the ticket i just factor in that $75 bucks as the price of having tint all that time that i greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I got one. said it was 18% and I got a receipt for 30%. Needless to say I am not taking my tint off. Reminds me I have to find that ticket. :) Hope I didn't forget there was 45 days to respond :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
PM me for the write off, might be able to help depending!

·
Registered
118 Posts
When I lived in CA I used drive down to LA for speedway races and once we got to Valencia we would roll the windows down. Cops would just sit and wait for cars to drive by with dark tint and pull them over. Louisiana was the same, but they would actually have a meter that would tell how dark the tint was. Over the limit = ticket. I had a dark tint on my 911 and luckily never got stopped. The inspection place caught me once and just told me they would let it fly that one time, so subsequent trips I just rolled the windows down and they never said a word. If they aren't using a meter to determine if it's too dark I think I would (politely) question it.

Mickey

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If they aren't using a meter to determine if it's too dark I think I would (politely) question it.
No meter but on the side windows its definitely dark enough that it's quite obvious it doesn't meet the 70% requirement. I think it's around 40%... :1:

I think I would possibly be able to get away with it on the windshield, since it is light, and looks untinted when compare it to the car (the cop didn't even notice - he just stated the front doors were what he was writing me up for).

·
Registered
911 Posts
My wife has a medical exeption that whole family uses. Had a small problem with my daughter's car since my wifes name isn't on the title. I looked through the regs and found a hole. Went to court the first time and made a fool out of the cop (always fun) and got a not guilty verdict. Told the daughter to keep it in the car with her. after that every time the cop saw me he would follow me around till I left the city limits. He finally stopped my daughter and wrote her another tint violation. Went to court again and the Judge threw it out of court after we testified. The officer never got a chance to testify. As we left the courtroom I told the cop if he kept it up I was going to file herrasment charges. I called the cheif and told him the same thing. I found out the cops nicknamed my daughter window tint Monique. Good luck with your ticket. I think all states have a medical clause in the regs some where. The easy way to find out would be to go to the dot where they issue the drivers license and ask for the form.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Revo you can't do anything but rant to yourself.. Unfortunately. You just need to rip the tint off, and fulfill the ticket requirements. Yeah you could put the same back on, but expect your chances of getting pulled over again for tint to increase. If a cop looks up your plate and sees you have noticeable illegal tint on after a ticket, he won't be too happy. Sure.. It's most likely always random selection and up to the officer.. there are many factors.. What are they? His mood.. His opinion, jealousy etc.. Especially if you are young (in HS?), If he can see through your windows even the slightest bit to figure out your age, and your in an M5 - it's a done deal, wait for the lights your getting pulled over.

There's nothing you can do (besides fight in court when they are way out of line). They are always right, and despite what kind of jealous or any attitude they are pulling on you at that time, you just want them to get done and leave you alone.

I got a BS speeding ticket (in an sl63) the other day, remain respectful, bite my tongue if needed, whatever I need to do to say goodbye.. sign the slip and drive off. Hand it to my lawyer and go on about my day.. The ticket sure isn't going to ruin my day, it will just make my lawyer happy.

My rec to you: I would just go and put on 50% (hard to tell from the legal CA 70% right?), or if you have to then put on 70% - it's better than no tint. I found what I missed most about tint (whenever I take delivery of a new car without) is the heat rejection.. So go with Huper Optik (highest heat rejection with high % tints). Or, put the same back on, but your taking a huge risk and I bet the same cop will pull you over.

I have encountered some very cool LEO's. So if any LEO is reading this, I'm not hating on your profession, and no I don't only think a "cool leo" is only one that let's you off. I got a ticket once for going 80 in 65. I admitted to it, because I am a no bullsh!t talker, and I know an LEO has to usually work for the truth. He wrote me down 5mph and best of all - wrote me a ticket without any attitude, and kept a professional attitude - so thank you to all LEOs who act like an LEO.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Revo, another out may be to find out what meter that they use and then go to the web sight and see what calibration method they use. The calibration instructions for the meter they are using said that they have to clean the window they are testing. he replied that he wasn't going to the windows for me witch I replied then your meter was not calibrated according to the instruction manual.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got stopped a few months ago on the way to work. Was doing 45 in a 35. Radar light up when I went around the corner so I knew he had me. He light me up and I pulled over (was in a Cayenne Turbo). Radar was cordless so he couldn't see it. Asked if I was in a hurry and if I knew how fast I was going. I said was just on my way to work and was doing 45. He gave me a warning. If I would have lied and said I was doing something other he would have no doubt written me up. If you're caught you're caught. Lying about it isn't going to make it any better.

Mickey

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Revo you can't do anything but rant to yourself.. Unfortunately. You just need to rip the tint off, and fulfill the ticket requirements. Yeah you could put the same back on, but expect your chances of getting pulled over again for tint to increase. If a cop looks up your plate and sees you have noticeable illegal tint on after a ticket, he won't be too happy. Sure.. It's most likely always random selection and up to the officer.. there are many factors.. What are they? His mood.. His opinion, jealousy etc.. Especially if you are young (in HS?), If he can see through your windows even the slightest bit to figure out your age, and your in an M5 - it's a done deal, wait for the lights your getting pulled over.

There's nothing you can do (besides fight in court when they are way out of line). They are always right, and despite what kind of jealous or any attitude they are pulling on you at that time, you just want them to get done and leave you alone.

I got a BS speeding ticket (in an sl63) the other day, remain respectful, bite my tongue if needed, whatever I need to do to say goodbye.. sign the slip and drive off. Hand it to my lawyer and go on about my day.. The ticket sure isn't going to ruin my day, it will just make my lawyer happy.

My rec to you: I would just go and put on 50% (hard to tell from the legal CA 70% right?), or if you have to then put on 70% - it's better than no tint. I found what I missed most about tint (whenever I take delivery of a new car without) is the heat rejection.. So go with Huper Optik (highest heat rejection with high % tints). Or, put the same back on, but your taking a huge risk and I bet the same cop will pull you over.

I have encountered some very cool LEO's. So if any LEO is reading this, I'm not hating on your profession, and no I don't only think a "cool leo" is only one that let's you off. I got a ticket once for going 80 in 65. I admitted to it, because I am a no bullsh!t talker, and I know an LEO has to usually work for the truth. He wrote me down 5mph and best of all - wrote me a ticket without any attitude, and kept a professional attitude - so thank you to all LEOs who act like an LEO.
Alvnch, I was in my 2004 G35 Coupe. Attached is an older picture of it that I took when we bought the M5. It sits exactly the same now as it did in that picture (except I have since gotten slotted rotors - but the cop can't see that when I'm rolling). One thing about my tint is that while it's not all that dark, it is reflective, so it appears darker than it is in certain situations. I'm in college (turn 21 at the end of May). The officer was professional (was not being mean or anything), so I can't fault him there.

Revo, another out may be to find out what meter that they use and then go to the web sight and see what calibration method they use. The calibration instructions for the meter they are using said that they have to clean the window they are testing. he replied that he wasn't going to the windows for me witch I replied then your meter was not calibrated according to the instruction manual.
He didn't meter me. He just simply said "I pulled you over for your window tint. Can I have your license, ...etc." I handed it to him and then he said "I'll have you out of here in about 5 minutes," walked off, wrote the ticket, came back and specified he was writing it for my door windows, told me I have until May something to fix it and get it signed off, and then take it to court and pay $25, and I left.

I got stopped a few months ago on the way to work. Was doing 45 in a 35. Radar light up when I went around the corner so I knew he had me. He light me up and I pulled over (was in a Cayenne Turbo). Radar was cordless so he couldn't see it. Asked if I was in a hurry and if I knew how fast I was going. I said was just on my way to work and was doing 45. He gave me a warning. If I would have lied and said I was doing something other he would have no doubt written me up. If you're caught you're caught. Lying about it isn't going to make it any better.

Mickey
I never lied about anything. He didn't ask me about anything, so I never even had the opportunity.

I'm a very law abiding citizen. I've never drank any alcohol in my life outside of my last trip to Europe, where it was legal for me to do so anyway (and each time I did it was half a glass of wine - hardly anything for my 6'2" 250lb+ self). I've never had any run-ins with the law, don't do drugs. My parents both laugh at me for being so straight, since I won't even drink a glass of wine with dinner even when I definitely am not going to go anywhere until the next day.

However, I have my exceptions, and these are speeding and tint. I generally try to go with the flow of traffic so I'm not really sure that's speeding. This has been proven to be safer than just holding the speed limit and pissing everyone else off and having them blow past you to impress upon you how slow you are going. The tint laws I feel are BS because they are so selectively enforced. If you're going to write a law, enforce it and enforce it well, or don't bother having the law. If they pulled over every single car that was tinted and wrote everyone up, fine by me. I'll rip my tint off tomorrow. But it's totally unfair when half the freeway can drive with tint but because the cop didn't like me or my car or was jealous, I have to pull mine off? Excuse the expression, but f*ck that. So right now I'm just trying to get this solved while spending as little money as possible.

question: did the officer measure the tint? or is the burden of proof on you?
No, he did not measure it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Don't you think it's kind of funny. The reason for the window tint law was a couple of LEO's were killed and the car that was envoled had tinted windows. They said the tint prevented the officer from seeing the gun. I think killing anyone isn't right but I think the officers just got a little lax in performing his duties. What is funny is by having this law it makes the LEO's stop a car that was a danger to the officers that were killed.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't you think it's kind of funny. The reason for the window tint law was a couple of LEO's were killed and the car that was envoled had tinted windows. They said the tint prevented the officer from seeing the gun. I think killing anyone isn't right but I think the officers just got a little lax in performing his duties. What is funny is by having this law it makes the LEO's stop a car that was a danger to the officers that were killed.
The irony is palpable...

You know, I could see this whole "tint makes it so they can't see inside the car" thing as an issue, but any time a cop pulls me over I will roll both front windows down on both sides of the car (and, if it's night time, make sure all my interior lights are on) and I'll put my hands on the steering wheel and be very still as he approaches. This solves the whole problem with tint. Just make everyone do it. Now, if they refuse to roll down the window until the officer approaches or something else that's suspicious, the officer can just draw and tell them to get out of the car assuming they are dangerous.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Although the gesture is meaningless in the M5, in addition to rolling the windows (except if it's raining...this IS Seattle, after all!), I take the key from the ignition and place them on the dashboard so it's clear I have ZERO intention of fleeing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts