BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning coming into work I get pulled over by Virginia's finest. They pulled me over right as I got on the main road by my house about 2 minutes after I had started my car. It is loud as all hell from a cold start. I was not revening the engine or doing anything crazy.

The cop says "Did you modify your car sir? Is that an aftermarket exhaust?" I say "Why yes officer I just put on a new exhaust". He says "Sir, were you aware that it is illegal to modify your car in the Commonwealth of Virginia?". I was like WTF..:eek: "umm, no officer I was not aware of that fact" :dunno:. He walks around my car and of course notices that I do not have a front licence plate, then he says that the tint looks a little too dark. I was thinking to myself here we go, he is going to give me a ticket for everything he can find. Goes back to his car with my licence and registration and come back in a few mins, says that he is only going to give me a ticket for the exhaust, but give me a verbal warning about the front licence plate. He says, "This is a very nice car sir, I can understand why you would not want to drill holes in your bumper, but that exhaust is going to get you a ticket every time" I smile and take my ticket and am on my way. The cop was pretty polite, one of the less traumatic of my many run ins with traffic law enforcement.

I didn't see him pull out a decibel tester, I will probably just pay the fine and call it a day. Two more fines and I will get rid of the exhaust. Anyone else get tickets for loud exhausts?

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
This sucks....let it warm up first so it is quieter, is it a FULL exhaust headers and cats?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
How much is the fine?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
That sucks. knock on wood i havent gotten one yet

·
Registered
394 Posts
Illegal to modify a car???
He probably meant illegal to modify a car's exhaust. If it no longer meets emissions or decibel level laws. I would imagine most aftermarket exhausts that people talk about on this board are illegal. The 'race' exhausts. Ones where the fine print says for track use only and where some companies make you sign waivers. Some exceptions may be sport versions or Dinan.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
So you only have to pay a fine or is it a fix-it ticket where you have to show proof that you changed the exhaust back to satisfy legal requirements?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Sounds like bullshit to me. Check out this site, and look at your ticket to see which statute your were written up for: http://leg1.state.va.us/000/lst/LS228372.HTM

I suspect if it's 46.2-1047, and he's interpreting the sound of your exhaust to be "ineffective". But to say that you may not modify your car is just plain crap. Call some of the Dinan dealers, and ask them how it's legal for them to sell and install a Dinan exhaust. http://www.dinancars.com/dealers.asp?state=Virginia

I

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,792 Posts
This happen in NoVa? I expect that kind of horseshit to happen in Southern Va. but NoVa (guessing - your location says DC) always seemed like less of a ****kicker hicktown - dare I say, almost civilized - than the rest of the state. Err...Commonwealth.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Are you freakin joking!! :eek7:

I live in VA too and I see the cops jerking around all the little Hondas and Nissans. Never have I seen this nonsense. If you are anywhere near Ferrari of Washington I can't imagine this retard giving you a ticket for a loud exhaust... geez every car on that lot is louder than my Race. Was it a state trooper or FFX county? What a joke :confused3 I guess I should be knocking wood pretty hard…

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Doug,

It is as legal as having a tint shop put 5% tint on your car. They can sell it and install it. But that does not make it street legal. :)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I didn't see him pull out a decibel tester, I will probably just pay the fine and call it a day. Two more fines and I will get rid of the exhaust...
Trade your modded beast in for a Harley. They're nice and quiet!:rofl:

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Sorry to hear that u r running into a trouble with exhaust. I was in trouble with my neighbor/workplace for awhile with my old exhaust(same as yours) which get me paranoid for awhile. I believe u got full meisterschaft GT with section1&2, right?

Good luck

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
which exhaust do you have? I have been considering getting one but stories like that make me hesitate
It is the Eisemann Meisterschaft GT, not even the full system. But I have to say, it IS pretty damn loud, especially on start up. If you want to fly under the radar this exhaust is probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just be happy that it was an ignorant trooper that stopped you and not an officer of the US EPA. You better sit down when you find out what "tampering with exhaust" would cost...:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
That bites! It sounds like the copper was looking for a reason to cite you. Maybe he had a bad day and wanted to take it out on some guy with a bimmer.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts