BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
The headers look great Doug. I am interested to see how they sound and perform. I hope to be back in May, let's meet up then. My M5 is due about 3 years worth of pounding on in one month for as long as I have been away.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm local to Boston as well and would like to meet at Larz or some Cars n Coffee event. Those headers look great and I'd love to hear how they sound.

Since we're talking about exhaust components, let me know if anyone is getting rid of STOCK e39 M5 mufflers. I'm thinking about going back to stock.

Hmmm, I wonder how headers and stock mufflers would sound???

Also, if anyone has stock 2000 M5 headlights for sale, send me a PM!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm local to Boston as well and would like to meet at Larz or some Cars n Coffee event. Those headers look great and I'd love to hear how they sound.

Since we're talking about exhaust components, let me know if anyone is getting rid of STOCK e39 M5 mufflers. I'm thinking about going back to stock.

Hmmm, I wonder how headers and stock mufflers would sound???

Also, if anyone has stock 2000 M5 headlights for sale, send me a PM!

what kind of exhaust you have? I've stock I might be interest let me know.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
great job on the polish but hate to burt your bubble but a complete waste of time. soon as they go through some heat cycles, condensation, water, degreaser, they're gonna go back to dull real fast.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
any how def let me know im down for a run up to boston and some bf1

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
great job on the polish but hate to burt your bubble but a complete waste of time. soon as they go through some heat cycles, condensation, water, degreaser, they're gonna go back to dull real fast.
Actually, after a season of use they look pretty much the same... maybe slightly off-color due to heat cycling.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Curious about that myself. Thanks for the update. I can see them dull right at the engine but in the rest where there is more moderate heat changes I could see no reason for the change.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Can you please polish the inside of my oil pan? I really love bling!

*jk* Very nice work! Just knowing that you polished them can be enough to keep yourself happy even though they are not something at people will be able to see. I was often asked why I went though the trouble of polishing my header on another vehicle of mine to the extent that I do. And after many years, everyone else has dull headers and mine has shifted to a nice goldish color and has a high shine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
sweet. bit too shiny for me. but will prolly look great.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Damn, they look pretty!

Very interested to hear how they perform. I'm guessing the longtubes, go hand-in-hand with a decat? 30-35hp gains in power up top and a flatter torque curve I'm assuming?

How 'loud' is it? I'm running a backbox delete on my M5 and it's loud but perfect at the same time. I'm running longtubes on my E63 but retained the backboxes and it's honestly the loudest thing I've ever heard on the street. Does that sound about the same as the M5 with headers/decat?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've run Evolve headers/cats on my car for about 5 years and 50k miles. With stock mufflers and resonators, there wasn't much difference compared to stock manifolds. The most noticeable difference is a raspy noise that is heard mostly on deceleration. Gets a little quieter once the engine warms up. I was told by Evolve that this is a characteristic of thin wall headers. Header wrap would probably help quiet it down a bit or maybe ceramic coating.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks Caspian ^

I suspect a lot of that is down to the fact that you have the back boxes in place, but at least it doesn't sound anywhere as loud as my E63.

Power gains on average, sir?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thanks Caspian ^

I suspect a lot of that is down to the fact that you have the back boxes in place, but at least it doesn't sound anywhere as loud as my E63.

Power gains on average, sir?
Have Dinan mufflers now, which did not change anything with the noise except drown it out a bit more, lol.

I never did dyno comparison. I believe Evolve dyno results were in the +30-45hp range with race cats and alpha-n stage III tune.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Have Dinan mufflers now, which did not change anything with the noise except drown it out a bit more, lol.

I never did dyno comparison. I believe Evolve dyno results were in the +30-45hp range with race cats and alpha-n stage III tune.
I need to get a dyno in the Spring, but that sounds right. Overall the car is way more responsive-- from about 60 mph in 3rd gear I can now punch the throttle and spin the tires. I think that's pretty good especially considering the Pilot Supersports are pretty sticky. Looking forward to getting the old 'gal out of winter storage...

21 - 37 of 37 Posts