BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stumbled (pff, "stumbled" I'll admit it: I googled) on this site when I was told to "not buy a damn civic" for my first car. I have been riding motorcycles since I moved out to S. Cali for college. Graduated as a Bio major and just doing the whole "lost in life" dance. To my (mis?)fortune I started developing nerve compression symptoms and a rather lengthy story with all sorts of fancy technical sounding terminology made short: not able to ride my bike anymore.

However, the whole not having a car and dealing with insurance/gas costs for so many years justified my parents to help buff me up to a 'nicer' tier of vehicle and I instantly tasted blood from biting my lip too hard when the idea of "used M5" came to mind via a friend who was high on some sort of substance/plant/liquid I'm sure. After searching since November of last year I found what I consider a nice deal:

2007, stick (THANK GOD)
advertised with 27k miles on it (31k in reality)
asking price $42,000/$45,000 with extended warranty (I opted for the latter as it had already passed inspection for the warranty and we only had 7 days to make a decision)

Problem? I'm in California, Car in South Carolina...solution? I'm flying out tonight with my dad to drive it back: probably one of the better Father + Son experiences ever.

To clarify for those who may be concerned about me being the next "M5 impaled building/tree/some object" this isn't my first experience driving stick, and I've already been scared straight with 4 different close to ***** experiences on my before mentioned bike (one involved a flying lesson of a cliff to give a taste).

This is my first extensive post and I will most definitely have a lot of questions as far as care and every little thing that will help me tend to her (named her already: May.) From my experiences so far of sifting around the different topics and posts I know this is a very good community to be involved in for information and feedback. Thus concluding my roundabout way of saying "hello" to all of you. If there are any of you who have tips on driving back: I plan on hitting the 40 for the most part then meet the 10 where it becomes convenient. Anyway, wish my dad and I luck. I hope to bring back good news and pics upon my return :).

Pachi

·
Banned
194 Posts
Get the warranty a.s.a.p......

·
Registered
131 Posts
Reminds me of the time my dad flew out to Colorodo to drive back to Long Island after my first year of Automotive Technical School in my 73 Z28 Camaro. It was i good father son experience! Dad likes japanese vehicle though , i like most things German & some American Iron.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Welcome aboard:byebye:

You're buying a pre-owned M5, so don't forget to perform a PPI (pre-purchase inspection)

Good Luck with the purchase:cheers:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Congrats and have a safe drive back. Make sure the tires are balanced otherwise its a long long shakey drive back :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
Pachi,

Take it easy and enjoy it. These cars carry the name "beast" for a reason. They can be fun but they also can quickly put you in a dangerous situation if you're not paying attention. When I did my first track day, my instructor pointed out that my car could probably hit at least 135mph on the back straightaway; that said, I really needed to back off at about 125, which was the speed I could reach by the half-way point. What he was saying is that if I wasn't paying attention to my speed and the road ahead at the half way mark (which by the way was less than 5 seconds from the entrance to the straightaway) when it came time to make the turn at the end of that leg (in another 5 seconds) physics takes over and the road will turn out from under me... in other words, I end up going straight into the grass and eventually into the crash barrier. :eek:

Oh, yeah, and do check the tires. I seem to recall about a year and a half ago a posting from one new member here who drove their newly purchased E39 home (from AZ to TX?) at some fairly high speeds, only to discover once he/she got home that the tires were nearly bald... definitely risky.

Yes, you should be excited - it's an awesome machine! Just respect her capabilities and limitations: nature cannot be fooled!

Congrats and welcome!
-crds

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Congrats on an awesome car. Get pics up asap!!!!!!!!

But why the manual 6 speed? Slower and reduces value some. Plus the car was not built for a 6 speed but rather the SMG. The SMG is a true manual as well, far from any automatic transmission.

·
Registered
55 Posts

But why the manual 6 speed? Slower and reduces value some. Plus the car was not built for a 6 speed but rather the SMG. The SMG is a true manual as well, far from any automatic transmission.
I agree...but the smg brings a whole list of other problems youll have to deal with

·
Registered
275 Posts

Sounds like you want to justify the SMG more than you want to congratulate him on his car. He speaks for himself, but perhaps I can take a stab at the questions:

But why the manual 6 speed?
Because he wanted one, and likes to drive a stick shift.

Slower
This might be hard for someone like you to believe, but a few tenths of a second is not that big a deal for most people.

Reduces value some.
So you say he saved alot of money by buying the 6-speed? Good for him. He got what he wanted for a good deal. However, in reality a used 6-speed costs the same as a used SMG car, so there is in fact no reduction in value.

Plus the car was not built for a 6 speed but rather the SMG.
Anyone who knows business realizes that there is no way a car manufacturer can introduce a manual transmission into a car only a year after production starts if it was never considered. The engine calibrations, EPA certifications, designs for the clutch pedal assemblies, gear ratio selection and testing, center console design, and all the other stuff that has to be moved around and modified to accomodate this, and then the car road tested to any degree, cannot be done in a year. I suspect BMW had the intention of releasing an M5 stick, but then decided against it before production began. Once they realized consumers wanted it, they went forward with it anyways.

The SMG is a true manual as well, far from any automatic transmission.
Although the SMG is a wonderful transmission with racing heritage, and in my opinion one of the best performance transmissions out there, a true manual it is not. It's an automatic transmission with a clutch rather than a torque converter.
To prove my point, answer this simple question: Why does the SMG have better performance than the Manual? If you answer in any way indicates that the SMG can shift faster than a human, then my point is made. If the transmission is shifting for you (IE: Automatically), then it's an automatic. You are not shifting it, you are pressing buttons.

:cheers:

·
Registered
212 Posts
As a fellow young beast owner, and motorcycle enthusiast, WELCOME. Great decision on the ///M5

I think you will find this site to be filled with mature minded individuals who enjoy contributing to the common good, unlike most other forums.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Sounds like you want to justify the SMG more than you want to congratulate him on his car. He speaks for himself, but perhaps I can take a stab at the questions:

But why the manual 6 speed?
Because he wanted one, and likes to drive a stick shift.

Slower
This might be hard for someone like you to believe, but a few tenths of a second is not that big a deal for most people.

Reduces value some.
So you say he saved alot of money by buying the 6-speed? Good for him. He got what he wanted for a good deal. However, in reality a used 6-speed costs the same as a used SMG car, so there is in fact no reduction in value.

Plus the car was not built for a 6 speed but rather the SMG.
Anyone who knows business realizes that there is no way a car manufacturer can introduce a manual transmission into a car only a year after production starts if it was never considered. The engine calibrations, EPA certifications, designs for the clutch pedal assemblies, gear ratio selection and testing, center console design, and all the other stuff that has to be moved around and modified to accomodate this, and then the car road tested to any degree, cannot be done in a year. I suspect BMW had the intention of releasing an M5 stick, but then decided against it before production began. Once they realized consumers wanted it, they went forward with it anyways.

The SMG is a true manual as well, far from any automatic transmission.
Although the SMG is a wonderful transmission with racing heritage, and in my opinion one of the best performance transmissions out there, a true manual it is not. It's an automatic transmission with a clutch rather than a torque converter.
To prove my point, answer this simple question: Why does the SMG have better performance than the Manual? If you answer in any way indicates that the SMG can shift faster than a human, then my point is made. If the transmission is shifting for you (IE: Automatically), then it's an automatic. You are not shifting it, you are pressing buttons.

He said "THANK GOD" on the 6 speed. I want to know why it is a "thank god" response for it over the SMG.

"Someone like me to believe"? What the hell is that suppose to mean? lol I have a freaking cabrio...it is a few tenths of a second slower than the coupe. Most people try to claim the 6 speed is faster than an "automatic" so I was saying it is slower before I received that as an answer.

I am not saying this is how he is, but 90% of the people who want a 6 speed do it for the "manly" macho effect. I am getting tired of people saying how the SMG is not a true manual and gives no driver feedback. There is a big difference between something like a Mercedes automatic transmission or Acura transmission than the SMG. I have a C6 that is a manual transmission and I get the same experience out of it as I do the SMG. However, I don't use the paddles out of habit.

I mentioned the reduced value because it is true. Look at auction prices. You can pick up a 6 speed a few thousand cheaper than the smg. I was stating that more to the fact of I hope he got a good deal on it.

Apprarently I offended you in my post, and you are defensive about it, so I assume you have the 6 speed. You probably wouldn't understand until you own the SMG for a while. We can discuss it over a glass of beer sometime if you want :thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Welcome to the board and congratulations on your new purchase. This is a great car to buy, and you should feel happy to own one yourself.

·
Registered
275 Posts
He said "THANK GOD" on the 6 speed. I want to know why it is a "thank god" response for it over the SMG.

"Someone like me to believe"? What the hell is that suppose to mean? lol I have a freaking cabrio...it is a few tenths of a second slower than the coupe. Most people try to claim the 6 speed is faster than an "automatic" so I was saying it is slower before I received that as an answer.

I am not saying this is how he is, but 90% of the people who want a 6 speed do it for the "manly" macho effect. I am getting tired of people saying how the SMG is not a true manual and gives no driver feedback. There is a big difference between something like a Mercedes automatic transmission or Acura transmission than the SMG. I have a C6 that is a manual transmission and I get the same experience out of it as I do the SMG. However, I don't use the paddles out of habit.

I mentioned the reduced value because it is true. Look at auction prices. You can pick up a 6 speed a few thousand cheaper than the smg. I was stating that more to the fact of I hope he got a good deal on it.

Apprarently I offended you in my post, and you are defensive about it, so I assume you have the 6 speed. You probably wouldn't understand until you own the SMG for a while. We can discuss it over a glass of beer sometime if you want :thumbsup: :cheers:
I agree that "Thank God" is extreme, but I can only suppose he meant either for reliability factor or driver feedback. It's easy to see that the SMG, for a racing transmission, outperforms the manual transmission in both shifting speed and acceleration considering the extra gear and no missed shifts (unless the pump or a seal craps out). If I wanted to race my car competitively, I definitely would want the SMG. There is no beating it with a manual when it comes to performance, and I wish the acceleration tests done by the magazines, who always seem to pit the CTS-V against the manual M5, would use the SMG version.

I apologize if the "someone like you to believe" was offensive, not meant to be. I have never read a post where someone said the manual was faster than the automatic. If there was one then the guy didn't know what he was talking about. If the stick shift driver is very very good, it will be close but the SMG will probably win, however in all cases I believe the SMG will win out over a manual because the SMG, when running right, is very fast shifting, does not make mistakes, and has an extra intermediate gear to work with. With that said, to me it seems that alot more people talk like the manual was an afterthought that was crammed in and shipped, giving the impression that the manual version is a hack job with lousy performance and blah blah blah... but this is far from the truth. The "someone like you to believe" comment came from reading your post that basically just assaulted the stick shift of being "Slower", "the car not designed for it", and that the 'SMG yadda yadda ya'. This gives the impression that you're one of those people who think a tenth or two of a second turns a car from a performance king into a Camry. So you can see where I'm coming from.

I do own a 6-speed, and I test drove several SMG cars before I bought mine. I actually put a deposit on a 2007 SMG, then switched to my stick shift on the day I went to buy the SMG car. The reason for the switch wasn't because I thought the stick was higher performance. It isn't, but that doesn't matter to me. See, I don't live by the Nurburgring. If I did I might have bought the SMG.. maybe, shifting manually with a clutch is fun however. But I live in Melbourne, Fl. I drive my car to work, and back home. 7am to 8pm every day. I saved a long time to buy my M5. And I wanted to make sure I had a car that I could have fun with every morning and every night on my drive to and from work, because I sure as hell am paying for it. In the morning I drive through school zones and rush hour with cars in front of me, beside me, and behind me. In the evening I drive through speed traps and the highest speed limit is 45MPH. So during this time I get alot more enjoyment out of the stick shift than I would have out of the SMG. On the weekends I can take the car out into the country and open it up on the backroads and run 130MPH in places, and it's great. But I'm not competing with anyone so if my shifts aren't 0.2 second quicker, it doesn't really matter. All that matters is I get to enjoy my M5 every day and have fun playing around with the shifts and the clutch, trying to improve my downshifting and upshifting.

I salute the SMG cars, but I love my stick shift. I wouldn't trade it for an SMG.... unless perhaps I lived by the Nurburgring. ;)

If you're ever in Melbourne I'll buy you a beer, but don't hate on my stick shift. It's an M5, and they're all bad-a**.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I agree that "Thank God" is extreme, but I can only suppose he meant either for reliability factor or driver feedback. It's easy to see that the SMG, for a racing transmission, outperforms the manual transmission in both shifting speed and acceleration considering the extra gear and no missed shifts (unless the pump or a seal craps out). If I wanted to race my car competitively, I definitely would want the SMG. There is no beating it with a manual when it comes to performance, and I wish the acceleration tests done by the magazines, who always seem to pit the CTS-V against the manual M5, would use the SMG version.

I apologize if the "someone like you to believe" was offensive, not meant to be. I have never read a post where someone said the manual was faster than the automatic. If there was one then the guy didn't know what he was talking about. If the stick shift driver is very very good, it will be close but the SMG will probably win, however in all cases I believe the SMG will win out over a manual because the SMG, when running right, is very fast shifting, does not make mistakes, and has an extra intermediate gear to work with. With that said, to me it seems that alot more people talk like the manual was an afterthought that was crammed in and shipped, giving the impression that the manual version is a hack job with lousy performance and blah blah blah... but this is far from the truth. The "someone like you to believe" comment came from reading your post that basically just assaulted the stick shift of being "Slower", "the car not designed for it", and that the 'SMG yadda yadda ya'. This gives the impression that you're one of those people who think a tenth or two of a second turns a car from a performance king into a Camry. So you can see where I'm coming from.

I do own a 6-speed, and I test drove several SMG cars before I bought mine. I actually put a deposit on a 2007 SMG, then switched to my stick shift on the day I went to buy the SMG car. The reason for the switch wasn't because I thought the stick was higher performance. It isn't, but that doesn't matter to me. See, I don't live by the Nurburgring. If I did I might have bought the SMG.. maybe, shifting manually with a clutch is fun however. But I live in Melbourne, Fl. I drive my car to work, and back home. 7am to 8pm every day. I saved a long time to buy my M5. And I wanted to make sure I had a car that I could have fun with every morning and every night on my drive to and from work, because I sure as hell am paying for it. In the morning I drive through school zones and rush hour with cars in front of me, beside me, and behind me. In the evening I drive through speed traps and the highest speed limit is 45MPH. So during this time I get alot more enjoyment out of the stick shift than I would have out of the SMG. On the weekends I can take the car out into the country and open it up on the backroads and run 130MPH in places, and it's great. But I'm not competing with anyone so if my shifts aren't 0.2 second quicker, it doesn't really matter. All that matters is I get to enjoy my M5 every day and have fun playing around with the shifts and the clutch, trying to improve my downshifting and upshifting.

I salute the SMG cars, but I love my stick shift. I wouldn't trade it for an SMG.... unless perhaps I lived by the Nurburgring. ;)

If you're ever in Melbourne I'll buy you a beer, but don't hate on my stick shift. It's an M5, and they're all bad-a**.
Great post - exactly the same reasons I went with a six speed. Love driving a manual, not racing the car, frequently stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for the wishes and the rather sparked discussion over my statement on the transmission. All supporting points have been pointed out. I did test drive the smg transmission initially and to be quite honest (not that I cared to give it much more time) it just felt clunky on local roads and I honestly just did not like the feel of it. Stick is more fun (never had a stick car, let alone a car before) from my experiences driving friends' setups and I really liked the idea of having to learn, practice, and eventually perfect the heel-toe/toe-heel (depending on person you talk to) method for prepping on corner entry. **GRANTED: not doing this stupidly aggressively on local intersections.**

Merely did come down to a fun factor choice and the whole saving some money deal was just icing on the strawberry short cake with kiwi on top.

I made it back in southern Cali earlier today. I should have pictures ready over the next few days as I 1) forgot a camera, 2) Sister's camera is broken, and 3) Dad's camera is misplaced.

She drives amazingly and I definitely have a bit of time before I'll be fully comfortable maneuvering around and figuring out the most comfortable seat arrangement for my 6'3" body. I'm having my engineering buddy stop by on Monday to glance over it as a 3rd opinion and to help me hopefully fine tune things where...things...can be fine tuned...I guess (I'm obviously not a huge car guy, just a rider/driver enthusiast.)

Thanks for all the comments and wishes again!

Pachi

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Per the above post, it appears this is your first car. Although I have my opinions on this, which I will keep to myself, PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS CAR. I'm not sure you realize what is under the hood. Also, may I suggest a high performance driving school? They are a lot of fun and educational. Learn the car, learn the limits, etc. as it is very tempting to put the right foot to the floor. Again, congrats and waiting for pictures.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts