BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced my original Pilot Sports (19,500 miles) with the new Goodyear GSD3s yesterday. Here's the specs:

Weather: 55 and Sunny
Tire Pressure: 34 Front 38 Rear
Miles on tires when tested: 5

1) Aesthetics: 10 of 10! Tires look great. Aggresive tread, fat (not phat) looking tire, rim protector...all around great looking tire.

2) Ride: 9 of 10. Extremely nice quiet ride compared to the PS1's. Much softer than I remember the PS1's were when I first drove on them. No comparison at all to the PS1's after 19k miles as to be expected. Running over a the slightest bump was like hitting an Isuzu Trooper. It's almost a little misleading that they're so smooth...false sense of security, but I really like it.

3) Dry Traction: 7 of 10. All I heard about these tires was that they were like glue. Well, my experience tells a different story. I raced my buddy yesterday who has a MB G55...a freakin' 6k lb. tank...and I almost lost because I forgot to turn off the DCS and my tires started screaming going into 2nd gear. My original PS1's gave me a slight chirp going into 2nd, but I NEVER burned...NEVER! Now, maybe I don't have enough mileage on the tires...maybe they need to break in. And maybe it was because the weather was warmer when I got my PS1's. BUT, it was a 55 degree day and I was on a clean, nicely paved road, and the DSC practically shut me down. So far I'm disappointed, but I'll keep you posted.

4) Wet Traction: 7 of 10. Here too I'm disappointed. I notice no improvement over my PS1's. I had the chance to drive in the rain today and that **** DSC light kept popping on when I accelerated into a turn from a stop.

5) Handling: ? I haven't had the chance to check the handling, but I'll report back when I do. For the moment I'm regretting not spending the extra $50 for PS2's or PS1's.

I'm interested to hear if others have similar feedback. I feel like everyone I read about just quotes TireRack's review, but I don't see too many personal stories.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
"Yesterday" is too soon to expect optimal traction. That won't happen until you have at least 200 miles, more like 500 on the clock. Report back after 500, please. When I got new Continental Sport Contact 2s on my M Roadster, I nearly fishtailed into a fence on the way home, but after a couple hundred miles, they stuck about as good as my PS1's when new and rode much better and quieter (at least as far as my fallible memory serves).

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
paulbondy said:
Just replaced my original Pilot Sports (19,500 miles) with the new Goodyear GSD3s yesterday. Here's the specs:

I'm interested to hear if others have similar feedback. I feel like everyone I read about just quotes TireRack's review, but I don't see too many personal stories.
The tires need some miles and some heat cycles to cure. I have found these to be the best street tires I have ever used for traction in the dry. I would say wet weather about the same 7 out of 10. I do have a Dinan suspension, but I am amazed at how fast I can take corners with a 4000# car. I would think the PS2's would be every bit as good, and might get a slightly better ride as the tire wears since they are not unidirectional.
Report back in a few hundred miles.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have new Pirelli Pzero Nero with about 1000 miles and they behave exactly the same as you have described. I would rate them as 7 out of 10. I will test them some more and see if they will behave little better. My DSC interfere quite often in 3rd gear going through the corners, or maybe I am so used to AWD of 330Xi that I am taking corners to fast or sharp. I love my M5.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wet traction is what i loved the most with the GSD3´s
This shoot was taken by my backseat passanger during a run on the German autobahn during quite damp conditions.
http://defense.nu/albums/albums.php?g=vacation&p=0&frpg=1&f=#pic
Not a problem with broken in GSD3´s.
My biggest problem with them was that the wore down to fast, i got ~6000Miles from my set.

"sidenote no im not insane" :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had these exact same tyres for about 3-weeks now, and simply can't believe how bad they are, seriously, I've had cheap nankangs [powersliding experiment phase - don't hate me] perform better under dry conditions, the oem dunlop 8080's thant came off and which were practically BALD performed almost as well with the exception of superior wet-weather performance going to the F1's.

Same bulls**t dsc light flickering almost constantly, and its so annoying that i'd had a complete set of bushings & control arms replaced then 4-wheel 3D laser alignment including camber angles carried out but to no avail. The reviews were 10/10 everywhere online, is this a case of 'the emperors new clothes' ? Is there such thing as a bad batch ?

The car feels WAY too bouncy (as if running on low tyre pressures or bad shocks) compared to other stiffer sidewalled tyres, and while very predictable on the limit, that limit is set way too low as it just loses grip and slides around like a beached whale when attacking corners with conviction,. hopefully things will improve as the thread wears out [the grooves are set pretty deep] but I also believe they've had an adverse effect on high speed stability [directional tyre vanes?] as the car now feels nervous and tramline's quite abit around 140mph+, whereas it felt dam near perfect before the change.

I've spoken to a WRX Eagle F1 aficionado since, and the only possible explanation is that this guy simply doesn't know what he's talking about and doesn't really push his car all that hard to notice any real difference, or that this particular tyre size at 275mm just isn't suited to the M5. Slightly baffled at this stage, but I can assure you that they wont be going on my car again. :grrrrr:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Úbermensch said:
I've had these exact same tyres for about 3-weeks now, and simply can't believe how bad they are, seriously, I've had cheap nankangs [powersliding experiment phase - don't hate me] perform better under dry conditions, the oem dunlop 8080's thant came off and which were practically BALD performed almost as well with the exception of superior wet-weather performance going to the F1's.

Same bulls**t dsc light flickering almost constantly, and its so annoying that i'd had a complete set of bushings & control arms replaced then 4-wheel 3D laser alignment including camber angles carried out but to no avail. The reviews were 10/10 everywhere online, is this a case of 'the emperors new clothes' ? Is there such thing as a bad batch ?

The car feels WAY too bouncy (as if running on low tyre pressures or bad shocks) compared to other stiffer sidewalled tyres, and while very predictable on the limit, that limit is set way too low as it just loses grip and slides around like a beached whale when attacking corners with conviction,. hopefully things will improve as the thread wears out [the grooves are set pretty deep] but I also believe they've had an adverse effect on high speed stability [directional tyre vanes?] as the car now feels nervous and tramline's quite abit around 140mph+, whereas it felt dam near perfect before the change.

I've spoken to a WRX Eagle F1 aficionado since, and the only possible explanation is that this guy simply doesn't know what he's talking about and doesn't really push his car all that hard to notice any real difference, or that this particular tyre size at 275mm just isn't suited to the M5. Slightly baffled at this stage, but I can assure you that they wont be going on my car again. :grrrrr:
What have the temperatures been on Ireland the past three weeks?
Most parts of Europe have been around 0 degrees C during this time, couldent that be part of your experience?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Úbermensch said:
Ranges from 10- 16C http://www.ireland.com/weather/ not quite powersliding around in the snow scandic style just yet

I'd imagine they should be up to optimum operating temperature following about 15minutes of [spirited] driving.

These tyres were pretty cheap [http://www.eiretyres.com] so maybe they're a different compound from normal or something ? :confused2
My local Michelin dealer told me that there are different compounds for different parts of the world, if this is true or not or if it just was salestalk i have no idea.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
igorkb said:
... or maybe I am so used to AWD of 330Xi that I am taking corners to fast or sharp. I love my M5.
After driving my 330xi all winter, the past week I've been back in the M5 saddle with new PS2's. Ahhhh, how SWEET IT IS!

:M5launch:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I've had these exact same tyres for about 3-weeks now, and simply can't believe how bad they are, seriously,
These tires have soft, flexible sidewalls compared to PS2s, Continentals and others. I'm told that because of this they are VERY sensitive to inflation pressures, and that people inflate them warm to 40-41 psi for optimal results. This is contrary to usual wisdom to inflate them cold. You might try that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just an update on the Goodyears, found a sweet spot at 42,40 hot, pretty much exactly what Need4Spd said, seems a huge amount of pressure (34psi recommended?) but it has tidied up the cars handling and straight line stability no end, big thumbs up here :M5launch:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
paulbondy said:
For the moment I'm regretting not spending the extra $50 for PS2's or PS1's.
And unfortunately you probably will for as long as you use them. I've driven a lot of cars with F1's on them, and I frankly don't understand why so many people rave about them. The M-coupe crowd absolutely loves them, while I prefer a forgiving & sensitive PZero on one of those, and a PS2 on a heavier car. I usually stick with PS2 or PZero's, and couldn't get PS2's for the 540i when I needed them, hence the Rosso's.... They're absolutly :eek: AMAZING in the wet, and 8 out of 10 in dry. Sidewalls could be stiffer, so PS2 are on backorder!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Geez - these tires can't even hold up to a little track work!!

Just kidding - pic taken from Sprint phone, sorry for bad resolution. I did my first track even in the M5 this past weekend at Putnam Park near Indy. It was essentially an open track event: 2 run groups in the morning w/ typical DE rules but w/o instructors or classroom time, run for a 1/2 hour every hour. After lunch, it was green flag til 5. At about 3pm, I noticed the understeer was getting worse, and my passenger remarked about it. I realized I had been out quite a long time, and brought 'er in. I was amazed to see the condition of the tire. It surely wasn't handling as bad as the tires looked. The track is clockwise, and the picture is of the LH front. The tires held up well up to that point, and I was very pleased. But 2 sessions of probably 45 minutes each did them in. I was running about 37 psi hot.

I reset the fuel mileage before one of the sessions, and was getting around 6mpg. I haven't finished collecting my lap times (I pull them off the in car video after the event), but my best lap is around 3 seconds faster than the '95 911 that I drove there last. Stock brakes, DS-G3 tires, HD intakes and open brake ducts.

I've been extremely pleased with these tires. At 10K miles, the rears look to have at least half their life left. That's a treat compared to how quickly the 911 rears wore through tires. I haven't had PS2 or S03's, so I can't compare to those. These are infintely better than the awful Dunlops that were on before.

Side note: there was a near stock (Tubi exhaust) 360 Spyder at the track, and we did friendly battle. It was a blast. The driver commented to me after one of the sessions that it was all he could do to pass me. Later, he and a Lotus Elise came up behind, and I tried my best to keep enough distance so I didn't have to let them through. Eventually, the Ferrari let the Lotus through, and after a lap or 2 the Lotus was close enough I let him through. I went up to the Lotus driver after the session to make sure I wasn't holding him up, and he said I wasn't. He was impressed that I was on street tires. He was running on track tires. The point being, it was a great event, I got lots of praise for the speeds I was running at (congrats to the M5), and even more praise when they saw I was on street tires (congrats to the DSG3s). There also was an S55 AMG modded by Kleemann w/ 620 HP. I didn't get a ride, but his top speed on the main straight was about 15mph faster than mine. This was his first track event, so he wasn't pushing in the turns. Of course, his tires looked good at the end of the day. ouich

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
ArrestMeRed said:
Geez - these tires can't even hold up to a little track work!!

No pics there.... ??????

charronegro - I run 40psi cold f & r on the street. At the strip - 50 f, 32 r hot.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The M5 with stock suspension will make quick use of tires. The combination of the weight and lack of camber is the issue. When tracking the M5 in these conditions, an intermediate or advanced driver must accept the fact that he will do some damage to his front tires.

I've always thought it made sense to invest in a spare set of wheels with track tires, along with new suspension and brakes if your tracking your M5 multiple times a year.

Travis

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
AJ, that's very impressive. Is your suspension completely stock? What size tires are you running? Std. 245/275?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts