BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2.5 years and 45,000 miles, I am saying goodbye to my M5. It is my third M5 and sixth M car and has been my favorite car thus far.

While I am (temporarily) leaving the M5 family of owners, I am not moving far. I am getting my seventh M car, an M6 Convertible. I will definitely be the first on the list to get the next generation of M5 around 2011-2012 if I don't get another E60 before then.

Tom

·
Registered
994 Posts
After 2.5 years and 45,000 miles, I am saying goodbye to my M5. It is my third M5 and sixth M car and has been my favorite car thus far.

While I am (temporarily) leaving the M5 family of owners, I am not moving far. I am getting my seventh M car, an M6 Convertible. I will definitely be the first on the list to get the next generation of M5 around 2011-2012 if I don't get another E60 before then.

Tom
Glad you loved your E60. Hope the E63 works out well for you:cheers:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
+1

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
That seems like an acceptable (marginally) defection.:haha2:

Enjoy your new Beast!

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Very nice Tom. You are a real assett to m5board.com and your participation is valued alot for the members and also me personally.

Why didn't you go for the M3 with dual clutch?

Also, be sure not to miss that you now can order BMW Individual in the USA if the rumours are correct.

Gustav

Tom

·
Registered
669 Posts
For a moment i got scared... one of M5board top members was getting rid of his m5?! thanks god you will still be around, always enjoyed your posts! Good luck with the M6! what color is it?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts

Tom
Not really goodbye, more of a lateral move. Have fun.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice Tom. You are a real assett to m5board.com and your participation is valued alot for the members and also me personally.
Thanks. This is a great board.

Why didn't you go for the M3 with dual clutch?
I wanted another convertible and though the M6 convertible is a bit of a pig (my one problem with it), the M3 hardtop cabrio even bloats more.

I may pick up an M3 coupe as a second car in the near future. I've always liked my M3s.

Also, be sure not to miss that you now can order BMW Individual in the USA if the rumours are correct.
Individual is probably not for me. I really don't care that much about having a unique car. I just want it to be great regardless of how many others have it. You can probably guess this from my conspicuous absense in threads about custom wheels, smoked lenses, exhausts, tinting, etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good choice!

I just made an identical one trading in my '06 M5 for an '08 M6 Cab. Not a single regret at all!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm glad you're enjoying yours. Coincidentally I am getting the same color combo. I love my current Silverstone because it looks great clean or dirty. It's been a while since I've owned a black M car. I had a cosmo black M3 and an anthracite E39 M5. I guess I need to start interviewing for the staff required to keep it clean.

How do you like the handling relative to the M5? The extra weight will be a bit bothersome, but it will be lower, especially with the top down, which should help some.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Agreed on the smoked lenses and exhausts.

Invidual is more of gettign exactly what YOU want instead of being unique about it. That's a bonus. For example choosing chapagne coloured or platinum coloured alcantara headliner.

Individual is probably not for me. I really don't care that much about having a unique car. I just want it to be great regardless of how many others have it. You can probably guess this from my conspicuous absense in threads about custom wheels, smoked lenses, exhausts, tinting, etc.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Glad you're not completely moving on. Love your posts. Keep them coming with the M6.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Post some pics when you get the Cab!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I expect to have a loaner M6 cab tomorrow for a few days until mine comes in later in the week. I'll post a few photos after mine arrives.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Same Same/ good luck ...
Basically same car anyways...........

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good luck with the M6.

It seems that you are not leaving the M5 ownership completely, but buying an M5 with 2 less doors and missing a roof.

Good choice on colour

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of the well wishes.

The M5 is gone and now I have a silver-gray M6 loaner until mine comes in next week. It will be saphire black, portland brown, and CF interior with all options.

It's nice having a convertible again, especially on a perfect day like this. First impression is that the M6 convertible handles a bit better than expected. While heavy, the weight is way lower and the steering is more precise. I haven't drift it yet, so don't know how the balance completely compares.

The M6 also has a bit more sound than stock M5 exhausts, and this is amplified with topless driving.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Best of luck with your new ride!! Top down this car cant be beat!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts