BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I traded in my 2006 M5 today for a new M6 convertible (Carbon black / black). The m5 had just a tick under 105,000 and had been a great car but it was time for a new car. I was trying to decide if I was going to buy something cheaper and wait for the new M5 or get a 550 and let Dinan do their thing but the dealer had a brand new 2010 M6 convertible for a price I could not pass up. The had advertised it on the Internet for 30k off so we started bargaining from there. I got a great price and what I consider a fair trade in for a M5 with such high miles.

Just trying to figure out the new iDrive. I like a lot of the new stuff but i can't figure out how to get it to sort contacts by first name ...

Kent. .

·
Banned
194 Posts
where the pics? do you miss the extra room? do you have any kids? thanks

·
Registered
931 Posts
Congrats on your new M6:goldcup:

How's the SMG, is it shifting noticeably smoother:noSMG:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Sweet! Not a bad trade. I just bought my 2007 M5. I was looking at a 2007 M6, but the wife said 'four doors' (even though we don't have kids). She had no idea how fast the M5's are, so I said, ok, how about an M5...needless to say, she now knows how fast the M5 is! Hehehe....

Mark

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.
You certainly had a lot of miles on the M5.
Any maintenance or wear and tear issues such as clutch replacements?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Congrats! I'm interested to hear your impressions on the improvements (SMG, engine power/smoothness, etc) from 2006 to 2010.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a couple days I can report I like the new idrive a lot. The smg does seem to shift much smoother. The convertible has a bit more wind noise. The seats are very different but quite comfortable. There is little wind with the top down compared to some other convertible I've driven. More to follow...

Someone asked what issues I had with my m5. I'm happy to say the only two issues were a clutch position sensor (under warranty) and a cracked oil cooler. No clutch issues but at 105k there had to not a lot left there. The reliability was great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts