BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I can say is that I'm amazed at how fast it all went down. Dropped the M5 off at the dealership for service and had my customary look around the lot and saw a new M5 marked down 20K. I turn around and there is also a black M6 marked down significantly. After a couple minutes of looking, my CA comes out and we start talking. He takes me inside and there is a beautiful Alpine White M6. I immediately went over and gave it a serious look. I love the S85 engine and feel that its appeal is only going to grow amongst BMW M enthusiasts as time goes on. Having said that, I definitely see myself getting the next M5 which would make having an E60 and F10 M5 somewhat redundant although not.

When I went in to pick up my car for service, I was still thinking about it, but hadn't yet decided because I love my M5. Well, after about 30 minutes of being at the dealer and negotiating, I found myself signing papers and buying the M6. All I can say is it has been a great year so far. Saw the M6 Tuesday, bought it Thursday and listed the M5, and sold the M5 Saturday. Like I said, it all happened so fast. I view this as my ideal situation because now I can pick up an F10 M5 down the line and have the best of both worlds, the NA V10 and the TT V8. I'm excited for the possibilities!

First thoughts on the change:
I absolutely love the Carbon Fiber interior of the M6. The SMG is so much smoother at low speeds, and I'm really curious to see this after break-in. The leather steering wheel also feels higher quality compared to the M5 (my M5 did have full leather). One thing that really bugs me is that the M5 door sills were not illuminated, but the M6s are. It works out for me now, but WTF. I have plenty of mods planned and cant wait to get started. It should be a long fun ride!

Goodbye to my M5, it was absolutely great to me and put a smile on my face every time I got behind the wheel. You'll be missed, but its your fraternal twin's time.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Are you comfortable disclosing whayt yoou were able to get for your M5. I have a 07 with similar maleage and have been a bit disturbed to see some of the bargain basement prices being thrown around. I was calmed a bit to see your asking price and would be intereted to know how close you got to that number.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Great story! Enjoy the M6.

FYI - I was just offered 38K (plus 7% tax benefit so almost worht 41K) on trade at local dealer. 2007 M5 with 38,xxx miles CPO / Maintenance.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
That's the ticket!

Reactions: bodaddy

·
Registered
756 Posts
Congrats Bo! Love the color ;)... New idrive looks awesome! Cant wait to see what you do with it, congrats again bud!

Edit: Btw, just got rid of my diesel touareg, how do you like the x5 35d??

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats Bo! Love the color ;)... New idrive looks awesome! Cant wait to see what you do with it, congrats again bud!

Edit: Btw, just got rid of my diesel touareg, how do you like the x5 35d??
New idrive is fantastic. I have it in the X5, so it was something that was important to me, as my M5's idrive was starting to feel outdated. In terms of the X5, its great. It feels like it has V8 power because of its 400+ lbs of torque, but it gets great gas mileage. I think I saw somewhere on the X5 forum that V8s were getting around 16 mpg overall, but my diesel is getting 23 overall (with 70/30 city/hwy driving.) I would definitely recommend the X5.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
ANy ownership update?

New idrive is fantastic. I have it in the X5, so it was something that was important to me, as my M5's idrive was starting to feel outdated. In terms of the X5, its great. It feels like it has V8 power because of its 400+ lbs of torque, but it gets great gas mileage. I think I saw somewhere on the X5 forum that V8s were getting around 16 mpg overall, but my diesel is getting 23 overall (with 70/30 city/hwy driving.) I would definitely recommend the X5.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
ANy ownership update?
Well, I can say that I am so happy with the purchase. There is something about this car that makes me want to just go faster and faster (its a little troublesome). I feel that the lower center of gravity is evident in the handling with the M6 when compared to my M5 with Dinan Stg 2 suspension. Power delivery is also smoother, hard to explain, but it just comes off the line nicer. Cant wait to start tinkering with it though, so having said that:

I quickly got through the break in period and completed my service last week. In that time I've only gotten tint installed. I have a tentative appointment to go to Rpi later this week for some performance goodies. I also just put in an order for some Vorsteiner parts. I also have an appointment on the 7th to get my suspension done. Just like the purchase, fixing it up is going to be a relatively fast process. I havent decided on rims yet, but definitely HRE's. I'm torn because I dont want to copy anyone's style, but the 897s just look sooo good. I've already started watering my money tree out back, and I eventually plan on doing the Dinan Stroker. I'll update with pics as bigger things start happening. :cheers:

Reactions: Gustav

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I ran across bodday's post last month as I was searching to see what people were doing as their warranties were expiring. Shortly after reading, I too had some service done and with his experience in the back of my mind, I cruised the car lot and hit up my SA to advise who to talk with.

Last night, via my car broker, I started to negotiate a deal on a 2010 Alpine White Conv M6. Sticker is just north of $120,000.00 and I am at around $28,000.00 off and still working. 0.9% financing from BMW on the existing M5's and 6's through the end of the month makes this a no brainer. So, unless something causes this to go South (with my luck) I should have a space problem at my house for a while very soon.

So, I too will be looking to move my '08 M5. Kind of in a emotional tug-a-war, but equally excited.

This forum is bad for my economy!

I feel sort of like "single white male" trying to keep up with bodaddy! :nono: I promise to get a different HRE setup! But you know I will be at RPI. mmmmmm
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Wow, nice deal. Sheesh, I want a new car.
Well. . . . . . you no longer have the 996, so. . . . ?

And, I will be dropping some money at the shop.

Spend that cash! hiha
cherrsagai

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ran across bodday's post last month as I was searching to see what people were doing as their warranties were expiring. Shortly after reading, I too had some service done and with his experience in the back of my mind, I cruised the car lot and hit up my SA to advise who to talk with.

Last night, via my car broker, I started to negotiate a deal on a 2010 Alpine White Conv M6. Sticker is just north of $120,000.00 and I am at around $28,000.00 off and still working. 0.9% financing from BMW on the existing M5's and 6's through the end of the month makes this a no brainer. So, unless something causes this to go South (with my luck) I should have a space problem at my house for a while very soon.

So, I too will be looking to move my '08 M5. Kind of in a emotional tug-a-war, but equally excited.

This forum is bad for my economy!

I feel sort of like "single white male" trying to keep up with bodaddy! :nono: I promise to get a different HRE setup! But you know I will be at RPI. mmmmmm
:cheers:
Haha, I dont know whether to be honored or scared? With the deals that can be struck now, its almost impossible to pass on. Hurry up and pull the trigger on it, I am heading to RPi on Monday for my first go-round and it would be nice to meet someone with such fine taste in cars (no bias). Good luck with the purchase, hope it all works out! :wroom:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Haha, I dont know whether to be honored or scared? With the deals that can be struck now, its almost impossible to pass on. Hurry up and pull the trigger on it, I am heading to RPi on Monday for my first go-round and it would be nice to meet someone with such fine taste in cars (no bias). Good luck with the purchase, hope it all works out! :wroom:
No need to be scared. I have general Restraining Order placed on me to stay 100 yards away from all humans! hiha

Seriously, I have been absent on the board, and it was a coincidence that your post was featured on the intro page when I logged in. Gave me great food for thought. As you said, fantastic deals. When I picked up the '08 in April '07, I paid at sticker. Nearly $100k. An M6 vert would be about $125K for the similar setup. I couldn't or wouldn't consider it. No deals, whatsoever! Against my past judgement, I bought the M5. Always felt guilty for not "getting a deal." Now, I feel like making up.

When you consider the F10 M5's are still a year out and M6's probably a year after that, we will be paying sticker and over for the first year. At least that is what past history as shown. First year M's have a history also of being buggy. So. . . I wouldn't being in the market for the new M's for probably 3 years.

In the meantime I am in a new M, got my vert back (from the M3) and no worries with warranty and maintenance for at least 4 more years.

I drove a '10 M6 last night at the dealer (not the same I will be buying) and did not notice the characteristics you indicated, however, I was limited by ability to "drive" the car around the dealership. Including a number of Police cars noticed. Plus, I hope some of our mods would make a difference over a "stock" vehicle vs. ours. I did like you comments on the SMG. Not sure there was a difference between '07 and '08?

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience and influence. Hopefully we can meet at RPI. In addition to the new work, I will possibly need to de-modify the M5, so I might find myself being Eloy's boy toy again. I know he misses me. :eek:oohhh:
cherrsagai

1 - 20 of 21 Posts