BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All I can say is that I'm amazed at how fast it all went down. Dropped the M5 off at the dealership for service and had my customary look around the lot and saw a new M5 marked down 20K. I turn around and there is also a black M6 marked down significantly. After a couple minutes of looking, my CA comes out and we start talking. He takes me inside and there is a beautiful Alpine White M6. I immediately went over and gave it a serious look. I love the S85 engine and feel that its appeal is only going to grow amongst BMW M enthusiasts as time goes on. Having said that, I definitely see myself getting the next M5 which would make having an E60 and F10 M5 somewhat redundant although not.

When I went in to pick up my car for service, I was still thinking about it, but hadn't yet decided because I love my M5. Well, after about 30 minutes of being at the dealer and negotiating, I found myself signing papers and buying the M6. All I can say is it has been a great year so far. Saw the M6 Tuesday, bought it Thursday and listed the M5, and sold the M5 Saturday. Like I said, it all happened so fast. I view this as my ideal situation because now I can pick up an F10 M5 down the line and have the best of both worlds, the NA V10 and the TT V8. I'm excited for the possibilities!

First thoughts on the change:
I absolutely love the Carbon Fiber interior of the M6. The SMG is so much smoother at low speeds, and I'm really curious to see this after break-in. The leather steering wheel also feels higher quality compared to the M5 (my M5 did have full leather). One thing that really bugs me is that the M5 door sills were not illuminated, but the M6s are. It works out for me now, but WTF. I have plenty of mods planned and cant wait to get started. It should be a long fun ride!

Goodbye to my M5, it was absolutely great to me and put a smile on my face every time I got behind the wheel. You'll be missed, but its your fraternal twin's time.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Are you comfortable disclosing whayt yoou were able to get for your M5. I have a 07 with similar maleage and have been a bit disturbed to see some of the bargain basement prices being thrown around. I was calmed a bit to see your asking price and would be intereted to know how close you got to that number.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Great story! Enjoy the M6.

FYI - I was just offered 38K (plus 7% tax benefit so almost worht 41K) on trade at local dealer. 2007 M5 with 38,xxx miles CPO / Maintenance.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Did you keep those wheels??? They would look amazing on the M6 !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I sold the car with the wheels. Besides, I have something else in mind for the M6. I think want to go back to a multi-piece wheel with this one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Could you explain the smoother SMG in the '10 M6? Would it be as easy as getting a software update in the older models to make it as smooth?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Congratulations on the beautiful car. I bought my 07 m6 from Sterling and think that I saw your particular car. May I ask what were you offered by sterling on your m5 and how many miles were on it?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm so happy for you. That is a beautiful M6 by the way.
I wonder how many people switch from the M5 to M6 and the other way around.......... I switched from the M6 to the M5, and I am more than happy with the decision I made.
Any how, enjoy your new car in good health.

·
Registered
314 Posts
So did you trade in your M5 with all your parts on it?!?!

Congrats on the M6!

Best color for the M6 IMHO.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Congratulation , Nice story .
Enjoy your new toy .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Awesome pics, gorgeous car. Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Could you explain the smoother SMG in the '10 M6? Would it be as easy as getting a software update in the older models to make it as smooth?
Dont know how to explain it. Acceleration from a stop is just smoother.

Thanks for all the kind words fellas. Just got the tint done Monday, I'll snap some more pics tomorrow (after golf).

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So did you trade in your M5 with all your parts on it?!?!

Congrats on the M6!

Best color for the M6 IMHO.
Ended up being offered a low amount for the M5 for trade in (as expected), so luckily I was able to quickly private sell it (as is, so didnt have to part out). Thanks, I always loved the white M6 also. I definitely miss the M5, but I'm pretty excited for the M6 project.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts