BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am running on Bridgestone Potenzas and I am not happy with their performance. They are hard, difficult to warm and they are terrible on wet patches of tarmac.

In a European tyre test (Autoshow Magazine), Good Year F1 Asymmetric won hands down and I want to replace my tyres with them.

Unfortunately, in Turkey and I think in Europe, they do not have 275 / 35s; what happens if I use 245/35R18s in the front and 265/35R18s at the rear.

Thanks for your help.

Temucin

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I had the F1 tires and really liked them. They are great in the rain.

The slightly smaller size shouldn't be a problem. The speedometer may be a few more kph off. IE, it may show 100 kph when you are only really going 90 or 95 kph. You may notice a little less grip in the rear (compared to a 275 F1) which might allow more tire spin on hard take offs. A plus is the car may actually feel more neutral handling.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I don't think it would be to much of a problem but like Richard said you are decreasing the contact patch size between to tire and the road. Before you do that see if you can get hold of 285/35's because I am sure someone on here said the other day that 285 is possible with stock wheels

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
If you run stock wheels then I would see if 285s would fit, or you could go to Michelin PS2s. If you run rear size OEM wheels all around, 285s are most likely too wide to run all around because you will most likely get fender rubbing in front w/285s. In that case, I would get the 265s. They are only about 0.3 inches in diameter less than 275s, which shouldn't make much of a speedometer error (it will read high, so an indicated 75 mph would really be 72 or so). Just be sure to reset your tire pressure indicators after you change your tires.

Separate question. I wonder why major manufacturers are dropping the 275/35-18 sizes. Must be few cars that use them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts