BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good software package to use with personal laptop for 08 M5? I checked out the Bavarian Technic and Autoenginuity but seeing of there is anything else out there that I might be missing.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I think it may depend on what you are wanting to do. I just purchased a cable, and am looking at the NCS Expert tool to do some programming on the car. I have not tried this yet (haven't even hooked it up), as I just got the cable in this week, but have seen others do it. I think there is a bigger element of risk with it as well. What exactly are you wanting to do with the software? I know the Bavarian Technic stuff is probably a lot easier to use, but it seems like when I looked, they didn't have a lot of coding yet available for the E60 M5. It was more for some data logging, resetting codes, etc. They said that the coding was 'coming' at some point, but there was no time frame given.

Mark

·
Registered
983 Posts
I think it may depend on what you are wanting to do. I just purchased a cable, and am looking at the NCS Expert tool to do some programming on the car. I have not tried this yet (haven't even hooked it up), as I just got the cable in this week, but have seen others do it. I think there is a bigger element of risk with it as well. What exactly are you wanting to do with the software? I know the Bavarian Technic stuff is probably a lot easier to use, but it seems like when I looked, they didn't have a lot of coding yet available for the E60 M5. It was more for some data logging, resetting codes, etc. They said that the coding was 'coming' at some point, but there was no time frame given.

Mark

·
Registered
984 Posts
I am not sure as to what exactly you are looking for, but if you need a diagnostics tool; GT1 is probably the best available and the most user friendly.
I agree GT1 is the way to go.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to be able to do everything that I possibly can. I'd even want to tune but I know that's not going to happen at the moment. I'm swaying toward the ESS Flash setup.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks, I'll do a search on it. The only Evolve I know was when I had my Volvo S60R.
evolve(which i think they changed their name now) for volvo is different then for bmw. One is out of California the other is out of the UK.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Evolve seems very interesting. So much homework todo on tuning when you can just do it yourself. For simple flashing, 10 tunes can be stored, and emailing tunes ESS hand held is nice. I'll see what happens.

Messed around with a 05 S60R, seems so long ago.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Evolve will also e mail the tune to you. The only difference is, with Evolve you can flash the ECU with a cable and laptop which is much cheaper than the hand held device from ESS.

However, the biggest difference is the quality of the tune. Evolve is the best IMHO! Just look at the E39 M5 Forums on this board and you shall see the work done by Evolve.

In addition, Evolve have also developed headers for the V10 engine. And you get a free upgrade to the tune for the headers when you install them. Irrespective of which headers you install. Their headers for the E39 M5 were also a huge success.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts