BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! My 03 M w/172k miles has been burning lots of oil lately. On a few occasions I noticed lots of smoke coming from the rear after I have been on a red light. The smoke seems dark grey in color, but maybe my rear view mirrors are not allowing me to see any bluish tint (if there is any). Anyway, 1 qt of oil per 300 miles or less is too much! I don't see any oil leaks, and I have removed and replaced the valve cover gaskets, cleaned the oil separators, changed the mushy hoses and what not...and still the oil consumption is pretty bad. I was always running 10w-60 and recently for testing purposes I changed to Mobil 1...the type of oil makes no difference to consumption. There is no excessive amounts of oil in the plenum either...but anyway, I would like to take the car to a good shop with honest mechanics (BMW experienced!) for diagnostics. I would like them to look at several other things as well, and let me know what repairs I will need to do...which will be a key decision if I should keep the car or sell it as is. I live in Northern Virginia, Reston/Great Falls area, and work in Arlington, so a shop anywhere in Fairfax, Falls church, Alexandria, Arlington would work.

Thanks in advance for your references!

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I would offer my diagnostic services, but I'm a bit outside of your range here in Howard Co. Md. If you're end up needing work done (and don't like big shop prices) or end up looking to swap in a good running lower mileage motor, I'd be happy to help. I've done work for many local members and some from far outside the area. I've also owned 20 M5's and continue to buy them if you choose to part with her.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will send you a PM.

Anyone else that can recommend a good place around DC metro area/NOVA?

·
Registered
322 Posts
So I'm currently taking mine to Fairfax Service Center. I've been pretty happy with them. The work has always been good, prices are decent (for the area).

A friend of mine goes to Dan Martin and loves him, but he's up in Gaithersburg and I haven't made the trek yet.

I used to use Curry's (a few years ago now) and actually had great experiences there, until they doubled the number of their shops and kept having to return. You know, till I never returned.

I'll see if anyone else chimes in, but I believe Martin Motorsports in Alexandria has gotten good reviews. Either MM or another (who's name escapes me) doesn't always want your business.

Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
678 Posts
I would recommend Gary Martin's shop down in Alexandria near Alexandria BMW. I have known and used Gary and his guys for going on 20+ years. Good shop and he will give you his thoughts without a larg price tags so you can make an informed decision on the path to choose for the M5.
Contact info:
Martin Motorsports (703) 823-9735,
460a S Pickett St
Alexandria, VA 22304-4706

·
Registered
824 Posts
I would recommend Gary Martin's shop down in Alexandria near Alexandria BMW. I have known and used Gary and his guys for going on 20+ years. Good shop and he will give you his thoughts without a larg price tags so you can make an informed decision on the path to choose for the M5.
Contact info:
Martin Motorsports (703) 823-9735,
460a S Pickett St
Alexandria, VA 22304-4706
Hilarious. I buy my jugs of Liquimoly 10w-60 at the NAPA next door to Martin and never even noticed it's there. I'll keep them in mind if there is ever a job I don't feel like doing myself.

In addition to what I said above, I would not overly recommend Alexandria Bavarian. They have a crotchety old man that works there. While he knows his stuff inside and out, i literally had a conversation with him that went something like:

Him: alexandria bavarian
Me: hi, i'd like to get my car aligned
him: why
Me: i just installed a bunch of new suspension components
him: ok, what model
Me: it's an e39 M5
him: I don't want to work on that. **Click**

So, while some people love that shop, he is not very M5 friendly.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hilarious. I buy my jugs of Liquimoly 10w-60 at the NAPA next door to Martin and never even noticed it's there. I'll keep them in mind if there is ever a job I don't feel like doing myself.

In addition to what I said above, I would not overly recommend Alexandria Bavarian. They have a crotchety old man that works there. While he knows his stuff inside and out, i literally had a conversation with him that went something like:

Him: alexandria bavarian
Me: hi, i'd like to get my car aligned
him: why
Me: i just installed a bunch of new suspension components
him: ok, what model
Me: it's an e39 M5
him: I don't want to work on that. **Click**

So, while some people love that shop, he is not very M5 friendly.
This must have been who I was thinking of. I've seen a bunch of posts with similar stories.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you're willing to make the drive, Adam (Clemster) has a great reputation. I know a few guys that he has helped in a pinch and got them back on the road as well as regular maintenance items. Great thing is he might have used parts on site that may help you out with costs.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He is the first person that responded to this thre5..I am sure he will see that and contact you.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I live in McLean - the drive up to Dayton to pick up a part was pleasant and not that far. I wouldn't let his location deter you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts