BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all...

I will be out of the country for minimum 40 days and maximum 90 days and would like to ask for your opinion regarding disconnect the battery before I leave.
I had an incident last year when I was away for about a month and came home to find the battery drained... I guess its the second alarm (gps tracker) that drained the battery... or maybe not?!

Anyways, what are the consequences of disconnecting the battery... most settings would probably be reseted I guess.
Would I just have to disconnect the + and - from the battery in the trunk or is there anything else to think about.

Are there any other options to avoid coming home to a drained battery?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I'm interested in this as well as I will be travelling for about 6 weeks so need to do something with the M5 and the bike. I've heard of using a battery charger, but can I just disconnect the battery. Also, will the tires get flat spotted? Just had a full 36k service done also.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
321 Posts
I personally don't think any of these is needed

once I left an E39 for the 4 winter months in a friends driveway in NJ, not even garaged, no problems at all when I came back, everything run fine, no battery issues no nothing, just drove it off...

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I have a battery tender myself and it works great, shame you can't use one. The longest I have left mine was 6 weeks but it did struggle to restart after that time period.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts