BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I traded my 06 M6 for an 8 mth old 07 997TT (6 speed). So I won't be as active on this board but will keep up (if you permit :) ). At least I have found KeithTA on the 6speedonline forums. He has already started his mods. We haven't connected yet but I did see a post of his Techart Stage 1 mods - beautiful.

OK first impressions - how does this compare to my M6 (former).:confused:

Having owned a P car before, I felt immediately at home in terms of size, seating, etc. What was astonishing is just how refined these cars have become in the last 10 years. I already miss the sound of my Eisenmann (genuine) exhaust system. The subdued yet precise sewing machine sound of the flat opposed six with turbos really needs some aural help (first mod to do). I have noticed a very slight amount of turbo lag, but once spooled up (microseconds) it's a HUGE RUSH. I've bounced off the rev limiter a couple of times not used to shifting at around 6 grand. This car with a dual clutch sequential manual would be awesome.

Off the line with a reasonable driver not flubbing shifts ouich the 997TT is much faster than the M. It doesn't feel nearly as brutal as the p500s mode shifts so it doesn't 'feel' as fast. Sound and pounding SMG shifts has a lot to do with this 'feel'. But look down at the speedo and :eek:oohhh: your easily hitting 100 before many vehicles ever hit 60. Breathtaking.

Now what is really unbelievable is the handling. This car's grip is incredible. I think NASA could use it for their astronaut training program. Effortless, boundless grip. It speaks to the nature of this beast - a sports car.

Whereas the M6 is a GT car the 997TT is a sports car but with better DD manners than a Z06. And no you can't fit golf clubs or midgets in the trunk like you can in the M6. Whereas a GT3 is far less civilized as a DD, the Turbo can be driven in a very smooth, docile manner and it feels pretty much at home puttering around. It's a very relaxed car. I don't feel as edgy as I did in the M. While it's got plenty on tap, I don't find I have that constant urge to plant the right foot. Maybe it's the short amount of seat time (today) and eventually the psychosis will return. :dunno:

I do miss some of the electrical wizardry of the M including keylesss go. I have to remember to insert a key again! And for those who think Idrive sucks - wrong. I like the compactness and design of Idrive more than I like the multitude of plastic buttons on PCM (Porsche Communication Module). Whereas the M really shines in allowing you to select numerous combinations of shift intervals, the P car's electronics have fewer user settings but use more adaptive input from: the engine, chassis and how you're driving at that time, in order to adjust in real time within the performance setting envelope (i.e., degrees of sport mode adjustment).

It's fun to have some weight on the rear wheels again. I've attached some pictures so you can see what stole my heart. I'll miss my M6 though!!

I'd be remiss if I didn't say a few words about this board. I learned a ton from this board and it proved to be invaluable in terms of a place to learn and to share experiences about our M cars. Gustav you truly do an outstanding job and for that you have my thanks.

Now any of you M6 boys want to go out and play just let me know if your in the Austin or Houston area. I go back and forth for work.

OT :byee55amg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Nice write up comparison...I'm always looking for a reason to take the plunge into the P-car world.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Awesome write up and comparison! Well honestly I driven the 997 TT its a true sports car, however just test drove the GTR and its a monster! It will give the 997 TT and GT3's a run for there money for almost half the price.. Crazy but some how Nissan has pulled off a miracle!! You can also fit your clubs in in the trunk FYI!!

Only problem its still a Nissan dosnt have the elegance or class of a BMW or Porsche, but will blow your socks off!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts