BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer tried to put an Individual order in for Piano Black, but were told that Individual will not be available for US M5's for at least a year. The dealer is quite willing to order the trim separately for me, and install it if I want though. Looking at this website:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=NB91&mospid=48421&btnr=91_0614&hg=91&fg=40

It looks like the total trim package will cost around $1500, with probably another $500 or so for installation. That's probably comparable to the Individual cost anyways, without the delay in delivery.

For now, I'm going to see how I like the aluminum trim. I've ordered an aluminum ebrake handle from Bimmian - it looks really sharp. I'm hoping this will really 'pull together' the aluminum trim, the SMG and Idrive pieces. An aluminum trim piece for the rear console would be great also, but I don't see this offered. I'll post some pic's when I've received the car, and installed the handle. Hopefully I'll like it. Otherwise, it looks like the Piano Black isn't too difficult to install at a later date.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How do you people that have the aluminum trim like it? Does it scratch or dent easily? Is it 'high quality' in your opinion?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wolverine said:
How do you people that have the aluminum trim like it? Does it scratch or dent easily? Is it 'high quality' in your opinion?
I can’t speak from personal experience for the M5 although I have seen an M5 with the aluminum trim and it appeared similar (if not the same) to the aluminum trim on the E46 M3 but speaking from personal experience the aluminum trim on my 2004 M3 is high quality and after two years still looks new and has no scratches or dents and I plan on ordering it again on my M5.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Couldn't you get the trim pieces painted by a body shop for a lot less?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jessem said:
Couldn't you get the trim pieces painted by a body shop for a lot less?
Possibly. From what I hear, removing the trim is not a simple process, and requires a few hours at the dealer. I'm not too comfortable with having an outside shop remove the trim, because if they mess up a piece, I'm out of luck, and possibly out of commission for a while. Also, how do you know what it's going to look like? They would have to paint an actual trim piece first. All this is probably possible, and will certainly cost less than $2000. I will check with some of the better body shops in the area though, and see what they say.

Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Wolverine said:
I liked it a lot in my two E39 M5s. The only problem was in the 2000 where the metalic coating on the shifter knob peeled, but I haven't seen anything like that problem since.

I am getting the aluminum interior on the E60 M5.

Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
I drove a Z4 with the brushed aluminium and it does scratch easily. Just resting my briefcase on the centre console a few times before I noticed irreperable scratches. I would never go aluminium again as I am v bitter still about this.

Wolverine said:

·
Registered
218 Posts
To be truthful, the alum trim on my new M5 is not as bad as I thought [and suffered my scuffing when I get in/out of car - scratches from watches etc).

Though I am very keen to swap it for either the genuine carbon fibre supplied for the M6 (I like the stuff on the Audi RS6+) or black piano trim.

Does anybody in the UK know how to get hold of genuine black carbon fibre trim for the E60 as I suspect BMW will not produce it for the M5. Any contacts ?

Thanks, 360bhp

·
Registered
95 Posts
360bhp said:
To be truthful, the alum trim on my new M5 is not as bad as I thought [and suffered my scuffing when I get in/out of car - scratches from watches etc).

Though I am very keen to swap it for either the genuine carbon fibre supplied for the M6 (I like the stuff on the Audi RS6+) or black piano trim.

Does anybody in the UK know how to get hold of genuine black carbon fibre trim for the E60 as I suspect BMW will not produce it for the M5. Any contacts ?

Thanks, 360bhp
The Piano Black trim prices out at about £800 plus labour from the part dept.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It cost me £1300 plus fitting from my dealer! Do you have any special contacts you could put me onto? ;)
chris.bailey said:
The Piano Black trim prices out at about £800 plus labour from the part dept.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts