BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has around 30k miles on it with a clear carfax.
What are common problems with this year?
What should I be checking for?

Please advise ASAP as I am going to see the car tonight.

·
Banned
99 Posts
525iT_Feen said:
It has around 30k miles on it with a clear carfax.
What are common problems with this year?
What should I be checking for?

Please advise ASAP as I am going to see the car tonight.
1. Clutch slippage (stock clutch is a weak-point for all m.y. E-39 M5's. I am
having mine replaced currently after only 33K miles on an '01 to the tune of
$1,400.)
2. Vanos
3. Nav Screen
4. ?

Others with far more experience/knowledge will chime in and help you....

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you beast.
I knew about the vanos, but not about the clutch.

What about the nav screen? Should I just run through it and make sure everything on it functional? Or something more specific?

·
10,458 Posts
you'll find a lot of detailed info if you run a search. I've never heard of any issues with the nav screen myself on an 00 model.
Most important thing is service history, a good pre purchase inspection, compression test would be nice too.

Really just normal used car stuff. How will you test the vanos unit? you can't, so unless you have service history saying it's been replaced you can assume it's fine. If the car is running like crap, it probably is not ok...

similar with the clutch. Unless the clutch is trashed, it's not going to slip on a normal test drive. If you can run some repeated hard accelerations, 1st thru 4th, and pay careful attention for slippage going into 3rd and 4th this could be a sign that the clutch is getting weak, but to be honest, if you're going to buy an m5, budget for a clutch as it will fail sooner or later.

Look around for oil leaks too, valve cover gaskets, often leaking into the coil areas (again, not an easy inspection when you first go to check out a car), oil pan, rear main seal. The list is endless of what could possibly fail, but in my experience (i'm currently just under 65k miles) the car has been pretty reliable. If you do a search however, you'll see i've had most of the "normal" stuff replaced while my car was still under factory warranty; vanos, cats, oil leaks, mafs, clutch, etc. Not a bit of regret either.
Mike

·
Banned
99 Posts
525iT_Feen said:
Thank you beast.
I knew about the vanos, but not about the clutch.

What about the nav screen? Should I just run through it and make sure everything on it functional? Or something more specific?
I just remember while perusing the board a while back, I seemed to see a lot of posts popping up about nav screens going out or lines appearing. I could be wrong though.

Like Mottati said, just do a search on the forum.

Good luck on your potential purchase. I hope it checks out.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys.
I didn't post clearly earlier. I was going to help a friend interested in buying.
We looked at the car and it is in very good condition. Tomorrow it will be getting a pre purchase inspection.

He has all service records for it.
The clutch was replaced, and he isn't sure about the Vanos.
It has two new rear tires and a recent service curtosy of herb chambers BMW.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thats low miles for a 2000, its amazing with how nice these cars are that people dont drive them more, I bought my 2001 a year ago with under 18000 miles, and I love it, Josh

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
525iT_Feen said:
As far as problems with the nav screen per say, should not be any more than any other. The 00 year did have the smaller screen as used in all BMWs earlier and is about half the size of the screen in post 00 cars.
Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts