BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Been lurking for some time now and finally in the position to purchase my first M car.

Heres the car I am going to look at:

- 2007 m6 White on Black with carbon goodies
- NO warranty
- 43k miles
- SMG
- Carbon roof
- Has maintenance records with no recalls or major repairs done
- Second owner California car
- Fully loaded
- Clean title
- Flawless condition
- 100% stock

Asking price: $34,000

What do you guys think? Anything I should look out for? Any pointers or tips you can help a brother out with?
Since theres no warranty, should I run away from this car?

Looking to joining the v10 club so any help is greatly appreciated!

- Jay

·
Registered
657 Posts
Price is alright, just make sure any M6 older than 09 has warranty on it. Otherwise owning this car "could" be a nightmare. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Asking price: $34,000
...Since theres no warranty, should I run away from this car?
I have a similar car (year and mileage), so that price makes me sad :crying2:
The high repair costs and lack of warranty are the reason for the low price -- this is true of many high end cars.

You don't need to "run away from this car", but you do need to be aware of potential repair costs.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I seriously doubt you may be able to purchase a similar performance car for 30 thousand something dollars. If available, a warranty will help assuage concerns of a catastrophic repair. One cannot buy a Camry for 30k.
Bill

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Any M6 needs a warranty. Even a 2010 with 5k miles. Always add an aftermarket warranty in your budget and then the year wont matter.

Reactions: M6v10

·
Registered
98 Posts
Warranty!!!!!!!!

And it must be ironclad

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
This warranty fear everyone has is cause of yall Smg drama huh

·
Registered
463 Posts
I refuse to drive anything but 3peddle... just safer to hv a warranty bc fixing anything on these things is a fortune

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I refuse to drive anything but 3peddle..
:cheers: My man :noSMG: lol. Soon ill be joining you with a 6speed white E63. Just wish these damn sellers new the correct transmission to put in they ad -_-

·
Registered
463 Posts
good luck on ur hunt! people still dont realize pushing a button to switch a gear is not a manual... and when u are searching for a manual you are not searching for an e-gear... quite silly

·
Registered
307 Posts
Aren't all M6's manual!!!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I agree SMG is not a fully operated manual. But that doesn't take away from the fact that it has a true gearbox with a clutch, flywheel etc.
I'm a die hard 6-speed fan, but the truth has to be told, The the SMG3 compliments the S85 is such a way that the 6-speed will never be able too.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I agree SMG is not a fully operated manual. But that doesn't take away from the fact that it has a true gearbox with a clutch, flywheel etc.
I'm a die hard 6-speed fan, but the truth has to be told, The the SMG3 compliments the S85 is such a way that the 6-speed will never be able too.
Wouldnt know, never driven one never had any desire to guessing I never will

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wouldnt know, never driven one never had any desire to guessing I never will
Come on Joe don't be like that! LOL!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Agreed on warranty . . . just bought one myself

I just bought a used 2010 M6 about 2 months ago. I had the same concerns about repairs.

I bought a comprehensive warranty that is good for 5 years or 65 miles (that I drive not until the car gets 65K miles on it), for about $3,500. It includes bumper to bumper and even electronics on the car. I have a $500 deductible. The base deductable was only $100 but that basically doubled the cost of the warranty.

I hope that helps. Good luck on your decision.

BTW, I do love driving that car!

·
Registered
555 Posts
smg is the biggest piece of **** transmission ever, the day i bought my car there were 2 m5s in service for SMG issues, plus literally everyone with SMG on this board has had some sort of issue. drives like garbage as well, i swear i shift smoother myself

·
Registered
657 Posts
smg is the biggest piece of **** transmission ever, the day i bought my car there were 2 m5s in service for SMG issues, plus literally everyone with SMG on this board has had some sort of issue. drives like garbage as well, i swear i shift smoother myself
I don't know if I'm one of the lucky few or not but even after 14 months of driving the car hard up to redline...NO SMG or any other errors.

It drives pretty smoothly actually once you know when to shift...but
life is good either way...whether you have an SMG or Manual. Both are designed exceptionally well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts