BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, i'm going to keep this brief since I plan on doing a longer write up of what I went through regarding my purchase of a 2001 M5. Essentially, I have spent the last two months getting everything stock, simply because the guy who previously owned it was a total ahole about keeping this car in pristine condition like it should. It has been parked for several years near the beach (Punta Cana Dominican Republic), and as a result the paint has really deteriorated.

Finding this car in the Domnican Republic has been impossible (6-8 of them on the Island) and importing it is impossible because the law does not let me import one because its too old.

LONG STORY SHORT: I need to repaint the car completely. It is currently Silverstone, and I simply hate the color (its too blue). Everyone has told me to repaint it Silverstone, but all in all, I don't care about resale value because this is a car I want to cherish, not something for fun and later sell. I am also not really interested in a wrap (I have to repaint anyway, because I stripped all the paint off anyway).

My dream was to have an IMOLA RED e39 m5, however I wanted you guys to chime in as to what color to paint it?

Imola Red
Silverstone II
Estoril Blue I
Estoril Blue II
Alpine White
(suzuka grey) (Custom color from Audi).
(Nardo Grey) (Custom Color from audi)

Those are my personal favorites. I am strongly considering Suzuka Grey. I think its very nice, and just off of the most popular "ALPINE WHITE."

Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Sepang Bronze or Orient Blue. From your choices, the Suzuka Grey looks nice.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks nice, but not really a huge fan of its dark hue. one of the things i love about M5 is the dark trim that extends along the front and rear bumpers (and the sides). I like the contrast between a lighter body color and the black moldings. I feel that the bronze is too dark, and the moldings will blend in (which i dont want). This is why I dont want to go darker than Nardo Gray (from audi). Same thing goes for ORIENT BLUE. Too dark, and moldings will just blend in.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
If you are willing to pull the motor and get all in the bay, all door jambs and all those areas that are a pita on a color chance, I'd stick in the same color family. A drastic color change never looks good unless the entire car is disassembled and everything gets painted.

On a car like this, which you seem to cherish, it would be a shame to have things done half ***.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: Kelster

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We won't do a half *** job, thats for sure. I understand that it is a pain in the *** to paint, however, just in parts alone, ive already ordered over 5000 dollars in parts ( just to get everythign back to stock). I have not even touched the interior yet.

Silver is really really nice, however, of the 6 e39 M5s in my country, 2 of them are already Titanium Silver. I believe the break down is 2 silver, 1 Alpine White, 1 Imola Red, and the other two are jet black. I want to have something a little different. I love Imola Red (it is always been one of my fav colors), however those two Grays are really appealing.

·
Registered
843 Posts
As much as I want to say Imola, I feel like if you are going for a repaint you may as well do something you can't buy.

Estoril would be fantastic staying in the BMW family and one of my favorite BMW colors.

Nardo is cool on the newer Audi's, but not sure how the "trash bag" gray color would look on and M. I think Suzuka would be a better choice.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Wait..you "stripped all the paint off"??? like down to bare metal? And you dont want a half assed job? Too late.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'm with LJG, since you are doing a color change, go with something an M5 never came in. Either of the audi colors would be cool.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I'm with LJG, think out of the box on this one!

My vote in order of preference for reds.

1. Vermilion Red
2. Indianapolis Red
3. Royal Red (Just because it was discontinued!)

Maybe add in Stratus gray?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone has been saying to make it original (none of the BMW Colors). I'm leaning towards Suzuka Gray. Thanks for all the feedback so far. More replies are welcome!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wait..you "stripped all the paint off"??? like down to bare metal? And you dont want a half assed job? Too late.
The owner had it parked close to the beach, and not garaged. The salt in the air destroys paint. You guys deal with winter up there, we deal with the salt.

I stripped the paint off in the areas where it was most damaged (such as hood) and areas with rust... I totally trust the team and body shop doing the work since they are one of the three shops authorized by Autogermanica A.G (BMW Dealer). In addition to this, they do work on all the higher end cars down here (Ferrari, Lambos, etc). All the materials used are the best in the industry. All paint will be mixed by PPG authorized shops.

·
Registered
186 Posts
What is the color of your seats? Two-tone Black-Grey sport or fully Black sport? What is the current condition of the interior?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Estoril Blue
Sepang Bronze
Velvet Blue (purple or blue depending on light)

All look great on the E39. Maybe something cool like the newer Silver-Gray?

·
Registered
282 Posts
My opinion? Regardless of how you like the the original color, keep it. Unless you are willing to really do a professional job and I mean gut the car and pull it completely apart, it will never be right. Keep it stock. Respray the areas that are the most damaged. Go get some quotes from a professional shop. to do this right, you can pay upward of $20k. Its just worth it.

My advice, if you don't like the color, finish what you are working on now, sell the car (hopefully recoup your investment) and go shopping for on that you do like.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
My opinion? Regardless of how you like the the original color, keep it. Unless you are willing to really do a professional job and I mean gut the car and pull it completely apart, it will never be right. Keep it stock. Respray the areas that are the most damaged. Go get some quotes from a professional shop. to do this right, you can pay upward of $20k. Its just worth it.

My advice, if you don't like the color, finish what you are working on now, sell the car (hopefully recoup your investment) and go shopping for on that you do like.

Good luck.
Not to speak on OP's behalf but he outlined pretty clearly why he can't just go sell his and get another one, there are only 8 on the island he lives and they can not import additional models due to them being too old.

Maybe for a concourse respray you should gut the car but a normal door jamb, engine bay, trunk jamb and panel spray is good enough to be "good" to 99% of people and indistinguishable from an OEM paintjob if done right. The type of respray your talking about would cost as much as a good example of these cars...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Estoril Blue
Sepang Bronze
Velvet Blue (purple or blue depending on light)

All look great on the E39. Maybe something cool like the newer Silver-Gray?
hmm, that silver gray is nice... Definitely an option. I recognize your name, (blackxs)... Graham? I just bought the Sills from you...

THanks for the feedback

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is the color of your seats? Two-tone Black-Grey sport or fully Black sport? What is the current condition of the interior?
Seats are black, with the Blue center. The panels are also blue (not gray). Navy blue center. The front driver's seat is pretty bad, cracked etc... Going to go through full restoration on all leather etc...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Good luck.
There is nothing more I would like to do then sell it and buy the color I want. However, as I mentioned before, only 6 M5s exist in my country. I dont have the luxury of just selling it and buying a new one. I cannot import either from the US beacuse the car is 5 years + Old. The law here does not allow an import to be older than 5 years. Just getting my hands on this one was an absolute miracle.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You are a very lucky person to have got your hands on one. I think that this is an even more compelling argument to keep it original. Additionally, in the long run, it will add to the value (I know you said this does not matter to you but maybe it will later on). I firmly believe that you should seriously consider keeping it the color it is.

However, at the end of it all, it is your car and what you do is the best decision for you.

If I was going to do something waaaaay out there, did you know that there are M5's that exist that were painted Shadow Chrome (like on the style 65 wheels)? That would be something to see!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts