BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the time has come. I had been talking about this with my wife for a few months now. Basically, we have an agreement that I am allowed one 'fun' car--any car I like besides our daily drivers etc., and it was completely up to me as to what that car would be.

Six years ago I purchased that 'fun' car in a pristine 1997 Toyota Supra Turbo. The car was barely 2 years old, low miles, and became my project car. Over the next 5 years, I did everything to the car to make it unique in my eyes. Upping the horsepower, increasing handling, and improving the looks were my goals. And with the help of a very capable staff in AAP Motorsports, we succeeded in producing one of the most unique Supras in the country. With a custom all-metal widebody, as well as upping the horsepower to well over 650rwhp, this car was a complete beast!

However, as we get older, things change. My family has grown to include me, my wife, 2 beautiful young girls, and a boy due any day now. As you can imagine, the only person that every rode with me in the Supra was well.....me. My wife hated it because it was so loud, and my kids could barely fit in the back seat.

So after thinking about it and doing tons of research, I decided to sell my 'fun' car, ironically to the same guys who had helped me build it. It was time for a replacement, so off to the BMW dealership where I put down my deposit on a new M5. Now, when my new 'fun' car arrives, I can take my kids to school, go to the movies with my wife--heck, even she could drive it (she could not handle the carbon/carbon clutch in the Supra)! It seems like a win-win situation.

I am now anxiously awaiting my arrival of the new M5. But at the same time, I miss my Supra. There is nothing like the feeling of running thru the gears on highway pulls feeling that boost kick in......but I know the M will give me just as many kicks. And now, my family can enjoy them with me :M5thumbs:

I've included a few pics of my car pulling out of my driveway for the last time. Can I get an 'awww' from the crowd please :crying2:

Thanks for reading,

Ryan
www.widebodysupra.com

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Wow that beast had some meats on the back! I love that generation Supra. If I could have a fun weekend car, that would be a strong contender. I love the lines of that car. It must be sad to see her go, but wipe the tear from your eye, and get ready for another wonderful car. It will get easier with time.
:cheers:

·
Registered
185 Posts
When I read that I was afraid I'd see F&F stickers etc, but NO! Very tastefull indeed! I think you will enjoy the M5 very much. It is also a beast.

Jonas

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Ryan,
Wow- that is a very nicely done Supra. Congrats on a job well done. Welcome to the Board. I think you will find the Board is part of the fun of the car, though you certainly don't need the car to enjoy the Board. I also think you will find yourself smiling, maybe even laughing that you are having so much fun in a "family car"! When you get it- post some pictures! :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys,
Thanks for the well wishes and compliments. I have never been more excited to be getting a 4 door sedan in my life ;)

Rocket--
The car was single turbo (ditched the little stock pea shooters) and in street trim was putting out over 600rwhp, put in some C16 race and fuel and 700+ was easily reached.

Jonas--
Too funny! No F&F here--I had my Supra way before that crap came out. I can't complain too much, as much damage as it did to the image of the Supra, it did make the value of the car skyrocket.
BTW Jonas, one of your countrymen, Johan Ragnarsson of JRD Tuning was instrumental in the widebody conversion www.jrdtuning.com

I had some pretty good shots of the car on the track at Texas World Speedway that can be seen here:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292856

Now, back to the M5. I have no plans to track this car. However, I did not include my helmet as part of the deal with the Supra :7:
so you never know!!

Ryan

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Ryan: Beautiful Supra. I had an 1985 Supra when all the hype was about the 225/60/14 tires. My how things have changed in tire sizes. Anyway, welcome aboard and you picked the best 4 door sports car to own. Best of luck on your future purchase.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I thought I was the only one that got "attached" to my cars -

I had a 95 M3, automatic, white on white, that I miss to this day - traded it in for 20k for a 01 M3 - still regret not keeping the car.

sold the 01 for an SMG 03 - and now I can't decide wether or not to sell the M3 when the M5 arrives in the next month or two.

I really don't think I can part w/ the current M - but have no need for 2 cars - decisions, decisions.

:confused2

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I miss every single one of my former cars...

The 1989 Lotus Esprit Turbo that was my first car and kept breaking
The 1999 Subaru Impreza Turbo RB5 Prodrive (to use the abbreviated model name) which I rolled into a ditch
The 2000 Lotus Exige, which was great but my wife couldn't get her head around it at the time
And Lucie, the 1996 BMW-Alpina B8 4.6 Touring, which I sold to a fellow board member late last year - a truly amazing car...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts