BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2003 M5 with a Mk IV DVD navigation system. Also, I just bought the new DVD from Navteq. Do I just insert the new DVD with the car turned off. Or is there some other procedure I must follow.

I have tried to find an answer, but this question appears to be too basic.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Yes, insert the DVD, then get in the car and turn on the ignition (to accessory, should be fine) and follow any instructions that appear on the Nav screen.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I just bought a 2003 M5 with a Mk IV DVD navigation system. Also, I just bought the new DVD from Navteq. Do I just insert the new DVD with the car turned off. Or is there some other procedure I must follow.

I have tried to find an answer, but this question appears to be too basic.

Thanks

John
The map disc can be inserted or ejected from the DVD player any time it is on. Or Off. So pretty much any time :)

d-

·
Registered
622 Posts
Just FYI, Iwould aslo update the Nav Firmware...It is easy and you will be much happier with a later version. See x5world.com under Navigation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here's a dumb question about Nav updates - is there a version of the firmware or DVD that changes the announcing voice to only quiet the audio of what was playing instead of muting it completely?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Here's a dumb question about Nav updates - is there a version of the firmware or DVD that changes the announcing voice to only quiet the audio of what was playing instead of muting it completely?
Yes, all of them.

Go to Settings in your menu and choose the voice. She'll say "Quieter" or "Louder" to help you get the absolute nav volume correct.

In addition, if you push the top left button (escapes me at the moment) there is a setting in there to determine her volume relative to the audio source that is playing. Sorry I can't remember the term...

d-

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
The newest Navteq DVD may be 2 layer, and you need the latest S/W to read it. (V31 or V32).
That would be very surprising since dual-layer DVD's didn't exist when most MK4's were produced. A firmware upgrade might enable dual-layer, but S/W won't have any effect.

d-

·
Registered
49 Posts
In addition, if you push the top left button (escapes me at the moment) there is a setting in there to determine her volume relative to the audio source that is playing. Sorry I can't remember the term...

d-
I tried that this morning, and nothing happens. I tried pressing it in the 'settings' mode, and also when the map is showing. Are you referring to the "info" button as the one to press?

Some background - I just got a DVD Nav unit from eBay, and it has replaced the CD Nav unit I already had. The s/w version shows up as 4-1/71. The DVD I purchased separately is a 2005.2 DVD.

Hmmm, I guess I should be asking this over in that X5 Nav forum instead of hijacking this thread...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That would be very surprising since dual-layer DVD's didn't exist when most MK4's were produced. A firmware upgrade might enable dual-layer, but S/W won't have any effect.

d-
Read the update for DVD-Top (Mk4). Call it F/W or S/W, whatever you want. V32 is out, but there are no Mk4 additions beyond V31 changes.
CORRECTION
Navigation system operating software should be updated under the following circumstances.
NAVI03 and DVD-Top NAV system improved software for:
Reading Dual Layer DVD
Loading voice files

Attachments

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
ok here is my issue i upgraded from the mark3 navi to the dvd out of an x5 now i cant get my arrival time to work other than that it works great i have upgraded firm ware to v30 and have an 08 disk

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
ok here is my issue i upgraded from the mark3 navi to the dvd out of an x5 now i cant get my arrival time to work other than that it works great i have upgraded firm ware to v30 and have an 08 disk
Maybe it's just the European 2008.1 DVD that is dual layer, because V30 doesn't have the dual layer upgrade. (V30 is same as V29 for Mk4).

There have been arrival time problems discussed on the x5world forum. Navigation System - X5world

The navcoder S/W that you can download from that forum has an arrival time setting that can be toggled, but to use this you need to have an ibus interface so that you can connect your computer to the ibus to run navcoder. You might try doing a search on that forum to see if there are any other solutions.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
this may be totally obvious but make sure the date and time is set. when I first got my car my arrival time didn't work either until I did this. maybe your upgrade messed up the date n time?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
this may be totally obvious but make sure the date and time is set. when I first got my car my arrival time didn't work either until I did this. maybe your upgrade messed up the date n time?
That could be the problem, but the standard problem when upgrading from X5 seems to be that the computer is mis-coded for the non-X5 vehicle.

See the attached link by KiwiJochen, who is the nav expert.

X5world - View Single Post - MKIV and 4:3 Screen

·
13,589 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts