1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GULP! Here's the mods I ordered today:

Dinan Stage 3 Suspension
Dinan Strut Tower Brace
Brembo GT BBK, front, black(+track pads all around...)
Dinan SSK

Having Fall line motorsports install it...

Can't wait! Dropoff date for install is scheduled for April 30th...

I'll try to get some decent before/after pics.

·
Registered
369 Posts
This car is one car that really wears its mods well!

Reactions: road_runner2

·
Registered
377 Posts
Are you only driving on the track? Since track pads normally don't do too well on the street.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you only driving on the track? Since track pads normally don't do too well on the street.
Great point! I'm actually getting two sets of pads... Track pads for that event, and a street setup when not at the track.

Planning on going to Autobahn May 5th for a day of fun :) Really, I'm using this event as an excuse to do the mods I've always wanted to do. I'd rather get suspension, chassis, and braking tuned to my liking before adding HP...

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
GULP! Here's the mods I ordered today:

Dinan Stage 3 Suspension
Dinan Strut Tower Brace
Brembo GT BBK, front, black(+track pads all around...)
Dinan SSK

Having Fall line motorsports install it...

Can't wait! Dropoff date for install is scheduled for April 30th...

I'll try to get some decent before/after pics.

damn, christmas came either early or late by you...

·
Banned
265 Posts
Very nice choice of mods,similar to my planned list :thumbsup:

Here in the UK the Factory M suspension is perfection for our roads so iam leaving this alone.
But i would take the rest if i had to:cool:

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Very good....

Great point! I'm actually getting two sets of pads... Track pads for that event, and a street setup when not at the track.

Planning on going to Autobahn May 5th for a day of fun :) Really, I'm using this event as an excuse to do the mods I've always wanted to do. I'd rather get suspension, chassis, and braking tuned to my liking before adding HP...
You're doing the right thing. As good as it is stock, suspension and brake upgrades make a substantial difference in this car. 'Doesn't need any more power; particularly for track work.

Did you get Stage 3 Koni, or JRZ suspension from Dinan??

'Suggestion on pads: Since you got Brembo GT, which mirrors Dinan/Brembo BBK in most respects, you should really consider Dinan's Ferodo pads. They were co-designed, engineered, and extensively tested with Ferodo. Therefore, they're exclusive to, and only available from Dinan (which means they're probably more expensive than widely available brake pads for Brembo GT).

The Ferodo's are phenomenal; whether on street or track. On a hot weather track outting, there is no fade all day. They make ZERO noise and there's little, to any dust; even after being tracked, or used on back country twisties, again and again. The stopping power is very progressive (great for smooth track work) and happens RIGHT NOW!!; with no drama.

You can see from my sig, I have an S3. 'Have given many hard charging rides to local M5Board members; and several have driven it. Besides power and handling, I always get "shocked" comments about the brakes. 'Have no idea what pad compound Dinan/Ferodo came up with, but damned it sure works; every time, all the time.

'Best part is, you don't have to keep swapping pads in and out. Also, you can use ATE Super Blue brake fluid, and only have to change it about once per year. You should ask Fall Line about the Ferodo pads; they're a Dinan dealer and should be familiar with them.

Have loads of FUN!!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
DRM knows his stuff

and good gosh Dan, following you onto the freeway this weekend ... *drools*

was telling my girlfriend how much i love your car hahah

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're doing the right thing. As good as it is stock, suspension and brake upgrades make a substantial difference in this car. 'Doesn't need any more power; particularly for track work.

'Suggestion on pads: Since you got Brembo GT, which mirrors Dinan/Brembo BBK in most respects, you should really consider Dinan's Ferodo pads. They were co-designed, engineered, and extensively tested with Ferodo. Therefore, they're exclusive to, and only available from Dinan (which means they're probably more expensive than widely available brake pads for Brembo GT).

The Ferodo's are phenomenal; whether on street or track. On a hot weather track outting, there is no fade all day. They make ZERO noise and there's little, to any dust; even after being tracked, or used on back country twisties, again and again. The stopping power is very progressive (great for smooth track work) and happens RIGHT NOW!!; with no drama.

You can see from my sig, I have an S3. 'Have given many hard charging rides to local M5Board members; and several have driven it. Besides power and handling, I always get "shocked" comments about the brakes. 'Have no idea what pad compound Dinan/Ferodo came up with, but damned it sure works; every time, all the time.

'Best part is, you don't have to keep swapping pads in and out. Also, you can use ATE Super Blue brake fluid, and only have to change it about once per year. You should ask Fall Line about the Ferodo pads; they're a Dinan dealer and should be familiar with them.

Have loads of FUN!!:cheers:
Awesome advice, can't thank you enough for your time!

I don't know! I really didn't know there's a difference ::sigh::

Gotta call em up! BRB

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dinan's website shows only the Koni setup at this time... I assumed there's just one setup available...

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Stage 3 Dinan/JRZ..

Dinan's website shows only the Koni setup at this time... I assumed there's just one setup available...
JRZ is not on the website anymore 'cause supply (from Europe) is limited and they have to be special ordered by your Dinan dealer (Fall Line). They also cost more. The 2 big differences from Dinan/Koni are 1) JRZ's are double adjustable, for damping AND rebound. 2) Dinan matches each set of JRZ's to specific springs on their shock dyno at Morgan Hill hdqtrs (I actually witnessed the procedure). Therefore, the set-up is already "dialed in" for optimum street/track combo use, when they're shipped out to installing dealer.

That said, 'wouldn't sweat getting Dinan/Koni's. You'll save $$ and be very happy. I had them on my car for 2 years, when it was in S2 configuration. IMO, the entirety of a Stage 3 suspension system completely transforms the car in every way; much, much better.

If there's time, 'suggest you consider one other mod to go with your Stage 3; Dinan's monoballs to replace lower control arm bushings. 'Labor costs will be minimal, 'cause your suspension will already be down for the strut/spring install. Monoballs will forever eliminate that common bushing fatigue/failure; and your front firmness/handling will be just that much better.

Good luck!! :cheers:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JRZ is not on the website anymore 'cause supply (from Europe) is limited and they have to be special ordered by your Dinan dealer (Fall Line). They also cost more. The 2 big differences from Dinan/Koni are 1) JRZ's are double adjustable, for damping AND rebound. 2) Dinan matches each set of JRZ's to specific springs on their shock dyno at Morgan Hill hdqtrs (I actually witnessed the procedure). Therefore, the set-up is already "dialed in" for optimum street/track combo use, when they're shipped out to installing dealer.

That said, 'wouldn't sweat getting Dinan/Koni's. You'll save $$ and be very happy. I had them on my car for 2 years, when it was in S2 configuration. IMO, the entirety of a Stage 3 suspension system completely transforms the car in every way; much, much better.

If there's time, 'suggest you consider one other mod to go with your Stage 3; Dinan's monoballs to replace lower control arm bushings. 'Labor costs will be minimal, 'cause your suspension will already be down for the strut/spring install. Monoballs will forever eliminate that common bushing fatigue/failure; and your front firmness/handling will be just that much better.

Good luck!! :cheers:
Thanks, I added it to the order :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny thing is that I was going to go with the PSS10's for $1999. The whole stage 3 kit is $2350. Not much difference in cost for a huge difference in what you get... The huge cost difference is in install... 8h vs. 16.5h (OUCH!)

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
After all the Mods.. i think i could of purchased an M3..

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Hey Bugzy!!

DRM knows his stuff

and good gosh Dan, following you onto the freeway this weekend ... *drools*

was telling my girlfriend how much i love your car hahah
Thanks, Lon. 'Good to run across you and your lady on the road (in your nice silver M5). I was on my way to pick-up my gal for a Saturday night out.

"Rarely see E39 M5's around here. E60/63 M5/M6's are like flies; 'see them constantly. I always signal or wave, but generally 'get ignored. 'Guess us ol' E39 guys are beneath their acknowledgement dignity, or something. One of these days, one of them will challenge me when there's an open road ahead; then they'll find out what a "M5 S3" license plate MEANS!!:hihi:

'See you at the next event!!:cheers:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
One of these days, one of them will challenge me when there's an open road ahead; then they'll find out what a "M5 S3" license plate MEANS!!:hihi:

'See you at the next event!!:cheers:
Dan,
If/When this happens....PLEASE DO fill us in on the other's face as he gets spanked by your "old school" M5! Can't wait!

Cheers,Brian

PS. I had the exact same reaction as Lon when I saw your Beast the other day.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dropped off the car yesterday. Their shop is damn clean, with a ton of M3's, M5's (Including a WOW full race e60 m5 with just driver seat inside+cage!), a Ford GT, buncha Porches, and a Noble M400... My 2 year old really loved the tour at Fall Line.

The rear rotors weren't a good fit with new pads, so I also added a rear BBK to the order instead of replacing the rotor.

Yikes, this is adding up!

Can't wait to get the car back Friday, though!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Dropped off the car yesterday. Their shop is damn clean, with a ton of M3's, M5's (Including a WOW full race e60 m5 with just driver seat inside+cage!), a Ford GT, buncha Porches, and a Noble M400... My 2 year old really loved the tour at Fall Line.

The rear rotors weren't a good fit with new pads, so I also added a rear BBK to the order instead of replacing the rotor.

Yikes, this is adding up!

Can't wait to get the car back Friday, though!
Spending money on yourself is half the fun :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the car back yesterday!

Wow, what a difference.

Item by item notes:
Dinan SSK.
Awesome. Very tight, almost no play. Looks stock (+++). If I would have known how this would _feel_ I would have made this my first mod. The 2-3 shift is my new favorite.

Dinan Strut Tower Brace
Looks great, but really hard to say how much of a difference it makes on handling flex because of the next mod...

Dinan State III Suspension
Pretty nice. Handling is improved in all aspects so far... I'll have a chance to push the car Monday at Autobahn CC, but initial feedback is great. Turn in is sharper, very level in a hard turn, and throttle during turn doesn't upset the car. Lowering absolutely aids in the cars appearance and I now don't have a huge gap over the 19" MRR's. Further, the -1.6 camber setting makes it look a bit sinister to the trained eye... To the layman, it looks stock, but a closer look lets me know there's something special here...

Brembo BBK, at each corner. I opted to go with black, and I'm very glad I did. Again, it doesn't stand out like the red ones would, which is great and in character with the e39. Subtle, but with another look, whoa. Haven't had a need or chance to do anything more than a 35% stop, but initial bite is really, really sharp. Can't wait to get on a track.

I mentioned earlier that Fall Line is a top-notch shop. I will definitely do business with them again. The only thing I wasn't satisfied with is that they didn't ask me what settings to use for initial setup, and when I picked up the car, it wasn't to my desire. On the flipside, I never indicated exactly what I would like... just ordered the parts and they promptly and expertly installed them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts