BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My co-worker and I got bored at work and decided to take some pics of the monsters in the parking lot.
Sorry for the crappy iphone pics....

Godzilla

Beast

side by side

Reactions: Gustav

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
GTR FTW:biggrinbounce:

I know the GTR is a pretty big car and I have seen several in person , but I didn't realize until seeing it side-by-side with a M6 just how big it is....it's huge:eek:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
This series of pictures is perfectly illustrative of just how different design philosophies can be! I love it! Two amazing machines in repose! Thanks for sharing.:cheers:

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The excuse I hear is because each engine is hand built.......still though, the numbers should be a little more consistent

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The excuse I hear is because each engine is hand built.......still though, the numbers should be a little more consistent
Agreed. That fact doesn't stop MBZ and Porsche (Turbo) from producing consistent power levels.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I dont like the gtr because it is inconsistent 2009 Nissan GT-R Horsepower: The Truth - Nissan GT-R Dyno Run - Motor Trend shows the car having 507HP and 2009 Nissan GT-R: True Power From the Dyno shows it having 450. I have also heard of some as low as 420hp. I would expect with how controlled the environment is that these cars are made in they would be within 10hp of Nissan 480 claim.
You're comparing estimated flywheel horsepower in the first link, and AWHP measured in the second link. Of course there's going to be a big difference when you compare the two, this difference is due to drivetrain lossses. So basically you're comparing two different things!

The horsepower number quoted by Nissan is the flywheel horsepower, but unless you take out the engine and have a dyno machine that can measure the horsepower produced by the engine, you're never going to get to that quoted number with any confidence. All you can do is measure the horsepower delivered to the wheels and estimate the drivetrain loss (maybe 15% maybe more) and then try to calculate the flywheel hp.

Also, dyno numbers vary greatly depending the Dyno brand (the one in the first link was a Dynojet, the second was a Mustang dyno and Mustang dynos are famous for lower readings than Dynojets), the ambiet temperature, dyno operator, etc...

This might come as a surprise to you, but the M6 doesn't produce the 507 HP quoted by BMW on a dyno either ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
How does the M compare when on the road, Have the two of you ever ran each other? Looks great Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I respect what the GT-R can do and how much fun it likely is. But I think it looks like a factory ricer. An ugly car (that flies). From what I've read, I would not enjoy it as a daily driver. I'm sure it is a great track/race car but I appreciate that my M6 is a GT (and all that goes with that) and the GT-R clearly is not (nothing wrong with being another type of car, but just not for me).

BTW - I often see one in the parking lot where I work.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I respect what the GT-R can do and how much fun it likely is. But I think it looks like a factory ricer. An ugly car (that flies). From what I've read, I would not enjoy it as a daily driver. I'm sure it is a great track/race car but I appreciate that my M6 is a GT (and all that goes with that) and the GT-R clearly is not (nothing wrong with being another type of car, but just not for me).

BTW - I often see one in the parking lot where I work.

Exactly what I always say, I feel the same way about Porsche too. I can totally appreciate everything they stand for, and their performance and reliability is nothing to mess with. BUT...I just don't like either, to me its either a nice daily driver like the M6 or a full out exotic (Lambo/Ferrari). The porsche and GT-R are both not exotic enough to be considered exotic/weekend cars. And they are also not comfortable and practicale enough for daily driving. Thats why I love the M6 so much!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts