BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., so I'm a candyass from California who periodically needs to drive with a grande latte from Starbucks. Rest assured, it is straight up - no cinnamon, chocolate sprinkles, hazelnut syrup, etc.

Anyhow, the $*#&^%(@^ coffee cup won't fit in the chintzy little popout cupholders beneath the radio.

Now of course real men wouldn't ask this question, but I need to know:

I hear there is an aftermarket cupholder that replaces the little cubby hole with the sliding cover that is right behind the cigarette lighter on the center console. Apparently, one just pops out the stock cubby compartment and plugs in this cupholder, which can actually hold beverages that have a greater diameter than a can of Redbull.

Anybody know what I am talking about or where to get it?

Again, my apologoes for such a girly boy question. I promise my next post will be about bornouts, more horsepower, or leading the cops on car chases!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/

Get two of these now: http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/. Do not ask questions, do not pass go. Just order. Best of all cupholders. (in my ever so humber opinion)

There's another kind that swings out from that little roll-up door in the center console (assuming you don't have the tape holders instead). My opinion is that a drink in that holder would get in the way of my shifts (not confirmed, mind you, but likely). Plus, there isn't one for the passenger and then you can't use that storage area for anything else - mint anyone?

The ultimate cupholders lower the beverage to the floor and holds it tight at the end of your armreach. The beverage then doesn't get in the way of any critical environmental control adjustments - or to switch off DSC - it's just there, out of the way, snug, secure.

Hop to it. Chop chop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
With the power of the M5 you should be PAYING ATTENTION while your driving. Leave the coffee at the coffee shop where it belongs!

What's next, "Can you help me with the phone I can't balance it on my shoulder whilst I am drinking the coffee becauswe my hamburgers got no where to rest!
:cheers: Eat and drink in resturants. Leave the food at home!

:M5launch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,776 Posts
wolfturbo said:
I hear there is an aftermarket cupholder that replaces the little cubby hole with the sliding cover that is right behind the cigarette lighter on the center console. Apparently, one just pops out the stock cubby compartment and plugs in this cupholder, which can actually hold beverages that have a greater diameter than a can of Redbull.

Anybody know what I am talking about or where to get it?

QUOTE]

You are talking about the TEC cupholder. Do a search for that and you should have no problem. I have one, it works like a dream, and the customer service is outstanding.
Regards,
Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are classic!!!!


You give me the grief that I so justly deserve for asking the question, then everybody fesses up to what cupholder THEY have been using all along.

CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
M5DAL said:
With the power of the M5 you should be PAYING ATTENTION while your driving. Leave the coffee at the coffee shop where it belongs!

What's next, "Can you help me with the phone I can't balance it on my shoulder whilst I am drinking the coffee becauswe my hamburgers got no where to rest!
:cheers: Eat and drink in resturants. Leave the food at home!

:M5launch:
Actually, I need a cupholder for the stubbies.. forget about coffee.

:)

ard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
TEC or Ultimate are a huge improvement. I have Ultimate and they will hold anything, never spill, match the aluminium interior well, the drivers side might be a tiny bit awkard for some to get a Big Gulp around their leg and in while driving the twisties cherrsagai (you can easily reach one in the pax side holder from the drivers seat) .
Have driven a 540/6sp with the TEC, very cool/well engineered design, holds small/meduim stuff well, not so sure that a 'Venti Chai Latte' would not make shifting a bit akward and good luck with a Big Gulp. Only get one holder so that may or may not be a factor. Hey, if money is no object and you have a passenger often, get both...... :cheers:
Now if there were only decent cupholders for my occaisional 5, 9, & 12 year old rear seat passengers they car would not have a single flaw.

Paul
Coffee addict if up before 7am.....a much safer driver with my coffee at 5am than without.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
M5DAL said:
With the power of the M5 you should be PAYING ATTENTION while your driving. Leave the coffee at the coffee shop where it belongs!

What's next, "Can you help me with the phone I can't balance it on my shoulder whilst I am drinking the coffee becauswe my hamburgers got no where to rest!
:cheers: Eat and drink in resturants. Leave the food at home!

:M5launch:
what an ignorant post. even if you're not eating or drinking in the car, the stock cup holders are generally not stable enough to hold a drink from the drive thru to the home
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,776 Posts
wolfturbo said:
You guys are classic!!!!


You give me the grief that I so justly deserve for asking the question, then everybody fesses up to what cupholder THEY have been using all along.

CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
I only saw one post giving you grief, the rest were all helpful. In addition to TEC, another option is a dual cupholder in the burl wood that hooks into the cubby hole. A little more awkward then TEC, but if you need two cupholders, look at this:http://www.cup-holders.com/index1.html.
Regards,
Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
M.O.B. said:
what an ignorant post. even if you're not eating or drinking in the car, the stock cup holders are generally not stable enough to hold a drink from the drive thru to the home
I chose to take it as tongue-in-cheek...

And anyway some people may believe that ANY open container that cannot be laid down does not belong in their M- and they are allowed their opinion
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
619 Posts
Lots of companies make some very fine cupholders. Chances are, I've bought them... everything from wood to titanium g-force compensating devices.

My favorite for subtle appearance when not in use, capability to hold anything from a wee Red Bull can to a 64oz Super Big Gulp ice coffee (yes, you can put coffee in that bucket), ease of installation (four screws that go non-permanently into the carpet on the side of the consolde), and affordability (under $7 at many auto parts stores):



UUC-tested and approved! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
I just checked out the TEC website. That thing looks pretty impressive - just ordered one. I rarely drink in the car, except on long trips, but my girlfriend cannot handle a trip across town w/o bringing a soda or coffee.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
386 Posts
I have 2 ultimate cupholders... they work fine... def get cupholders... last time I used the factory one... my drink flew out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
While the TEC is a great cupholder, I find that the Ultimate cupholder fits my needs a little better


while some larger things (like the large gatoraide, etc) does intrude in to my leg a BIT... I find that it is manageable...
the TEC is great for smaller bottles, etc


why not get BOTH... when needing a larger holder... out it y you leg in the Ultimate... and for the smaller coffe or soda bottles... in the TEC


Best of both worlds!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
Rob Levinson said:
My favorite for subtle appearance when not in use, capability to hold anything from a wee Red Bull can to a 64oz Super Big Gulp ice coffee (yes, you can put coffee in that bucket), ease of installation (four screws that go non-permanently into the carpet on the side of the consolde), and affordability (under $7 at many auto parts stores):

[! :)

Along those same lines- anyone have experience with this holder?

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/fischercupholder.html

I like the idea of a bottom to catch any drips/spills. I'd put it right where Rob shows his as well:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
When I bought my 540 the first thing I did was buy two ultimate cupholders. Now I'm not proclaiming to be a cupholder expert, but these are the best cupholders I have ever used in any car. They hold a wide array of drinks, are out of the way, and even look good.

I also looked at the TEC cupholder, but I was afraid it would get in the way of shifting. Not to mention the price. I don't know if I could bring myself to pay $90 for a cupholder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
The Ultimate is definitely the way to go. :cheers: I considered the TEC but thought a large cup/mug may get in the way when shifting.

One caveat: If you have the factory First Aid kit under the passenger's seat, the Ultimate restricts the seat travel a bit in the forward direction.

Of course, if all your passengers are tall, no problemo! ;)
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top