BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this board has been a lot of help over the last few months as I've added my mods. But in preparation for my first track day with Thor I'm doing fluids next. Let me know what you think...

Thor: 2010 Space Grey M5 Dinan Stage 1 SMG with 19k miles

Current thoughts for fluid changes....
Diff Fluid - Red Line 75W-140
Brake Fluid - ATE Type 200
Power Steering Fluid - Red Line D4 ATF
Transmission Fluid - Royal Purple Synchromax

Also, I am changing pads and lines to StopTech. Any strong feelings on this line up yeah or nay? THANKS! yawnnnn

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm not sure about the fluids....but regarding the brakes, I'd leave my stock pads in there if I were you for tracking the car. From personal experience with Stoptech pads in my previous SRT8, they definitely have less bite than the stock brake pads and you may notice considerable brake fade under heavy braking.

·
2,149 Posts
Im an OEM fluid type guy.. But looks like you have everything covered.. Im not good with brakes. GL, have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Stoptech pads are poo for the track. I run their stainless steel lines and I have no complaints. I would stick all OEM fluids besides the brake fluid which ATE Type 200 is good. Especially not a fan of Royal Purple and their marketing campaigns.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Argh...I've already dropped the beast with the parts at my local shop. I'll try them anyway. What do you like on the street/light track?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Argh...I've already dropped the beast with the parts at my local shop. I'll try them anyway. What do you like on the street/light track?
If you are referring to brake pads, personally I like the Carbotech line up. I use their 1521 pads on my M5 and the pads are terrific, great bite like OEM with 75% less dust and very rotor friendly. They also carry other pads in their line up more gear towards the track like their AX6 pads which will be perfect for light track duty and street driving if thats what you intend on doing. What is great is you can swap between aggressive track pads and their street 1521 model pads and use the same rotors because the pads are made out of the same compound and material mixture so no re-bedding your pads or anything like that.

We also run their more aggressive track pads on our dedicated track cars at my work and our race team has great things to say about them. I know Padgid makes some track pads for our car but they are pretty expensive!

I have heard from other Stoptech BBK owners over on the E90/E92 M3 scene that their Stoptech pads don't hold up to the track well and they are usually swapping out pads for different ones. The pads that come with the Stoptech BBK kits are the same ones available for our cars, the street performance model.

Reactions: CC540Dinan
1 - 6 of 6 Posts