BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm a newbie had my m5 for about 3 months love it and the power. I had a remap the other day and it's made it come alive but raced a mercedes e55k amg which is remap aswell last night and he got away from me just wondering which upgrades you would recommend to get some low Down power and so I can smoke him. Cheers peeps

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi there. I am also a fairly new owner myself. I thought I'd chime in here and say maybe if you're intent was to drive around street racing people maybe you should have bought a Camaro or Mustang? Just saying.
About your car though. Are there any mods besides the tune? Headers would free up another 40 whp or so if you want to go that route. I would consider doing some maintenance to the car and address any weak points in the car before adding any power mods. Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Change fluids, spark plugs, clean mass air sensors, o2 sensors, fuel filter, air filters etc. Regular maintenance stuff, you know. You may want to look at the cooling system also if uncertain about when that was replaced.
These cars tend to like their maintenance. And if not in proper running condition they can feel sluggish and really hurt your wallet later on in ownership.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi guys I'm a newbie had my m5 for about 3 months love it and the power. I had a remap the other day and it's made it come alive but raced a mercedes e55k amg which is remap aswell last night and he got away from me just wondering which upgrades you would recommend to get some low Down power and so I can smoke him. Cheers peeps
just a question what remap did you do/got ? by the way Congrats on the Purchase Welcome to the FAM :grin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys I have done my oil cooler and idiling control valve already and as it was there I got a elite remap mostly for the limiter removed. I just really want some low end power. I was thinking of getting a full exhaust system?

·
Registered
65 Posts
These cars have some good low end power to begin with. Adding a full exhaust might take away low end power, but add some hp top end. Depends what your goals are with the car. Adding power is always nice, but are you willing to spend thousands of dollars to add 30-50 horsepower by doing a few bolt on mods? I would say concentrate on maintenance for now since you just got the car. Enjoy the car for what it is until you get more familiar with it. And if that's not good enough for you, maybe think about forced induction. Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen so many induction kits which one would you recommend? If I forgot about a full system and maybe just looked at headers would that be a better route for me to go down?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, I'm not really an expert on forced induction. Although I've heard of some kits from VF engineering that are pretty good. Maybe an active autowerks kit (maybe more for e36 and e46 guys). But, it would be a good idea for you to say your budget and what your goals are with the car and maybe some more experienced members can chime in and give you some advice.
As far as the exhaust goes, there are plenty of threads on this forum (and sound clips on YouTube) to let you know what's what. With a simple muffler delete the S62 sounds amazing. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers buddy for your help. I'm open minded on a budget just want to get the best performance from the beast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry lol they r still on. So u recommend removing them.
I was told about the mod to the exhaust back box where they cut it open cover the pipe inside and re weld closed. Have you heard of this?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Never heard of the mod you just mentioned, but the muffler delete would be the first thing I would do. Find a set of tips you can weld on and you're good to go. You'll love the sound. Plus you save some weight too from getting rid of those gigantic mufflers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So cut the back box off add some pipe with the tips and job done. Sounds easy enough. What about the middle mufflers would you recommend them aswell?

·
Registered
430 Posts

If its a 2001 and later its a 5.5-liter supercharged V-8 with over 450 WHP. You're not beating him without a poweradder of some type, and those types of mods seem to hover around 10k for everything. A muffler delete may sound cool [loud and drony] and reduce some weight in the tail, but I doubt its going to add more than 5 HP. I plan on going with replacing my rear mufflers, but for me its mostly cosmetic and for the sound.

You'd be better off getting a Helcat or some other big stonk muscle car if drag racing E55 AMGs is your goal.

Here are the 2003-2006 Merc E55 AMG stats

Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG - Drivetrain/Specifications:

Type 5.5L Supercharged V-8
Displacement (cu in / cc): 332 / 5439
Horsepower (hp / kW @ rpm) 476 / 350 @ 6100
Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ rpm) 516 / 700 @ 2650

You S62 is not beating that. Mercedes purposely made this car to be a M5 beater.
I guess they got tired of getting ******* so they added a supercharger.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
4 Participants
TurboHugh
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing