BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just arranged a dyno day with a local tuner here for $45/person (for 3 pulls).

This is the dynamometer they have in the shop:

Mustang Dyno MD AWD500DE

• What numbers should I expect (approximately)?
  • Is it unrealistic to expect 475-485whp based on the mods I have?
  • Is there anything special that needs to be done to the car before getting dynoed?
Just curious what to expect!

My mods are listed below in my signature. :cheers:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am guessing you will make 450whp on a Mustang.
450whp?

That seems really low for the mods I have.

Can anyone else chime in?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Drew is probably about right with his estimate. The only mod that you have that is really giving you much performance boost is the Evolve tune. From what I understand, an unmodded car will pull around 415-420.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
450whp?

That seems really low for the mods I have.

Can anyone else chime in?
For bone stock, I think people are getting about 420-430whp on a Dynojet. Dynojet is supposed to read higher than a Mustang, IIRC.

Therefore, I would think 440-450whp is about right for your list of mods, maybe even optimistic for 450whp. You still have your primary cats, correct? The bulk of your gain in power over a stock car would be your tune and possibly tweaks made to your intakes (i.e. charcoal deletes, scoops, filters). Your secondary cat delete shouldn't add much, if at all.

FWIW, I dynoed about 465whp on a Dynojet for my car a while back and I don't have primary cats on my car. But I've never dyno'ed on a Mustang so I can't be sure what numbers I would see for that setup. I've just read that a Mustang dyno generally reads lower than a Dynojet.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys!

At least now I have a more realistic approximation of what to expect.

Will be back to post the results.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For bone stock, I think people are getting about 420-430whp on a Dynojet. Dynojet is supposed to read higher than a Mustang, IIRC.

Therefore, I would think 440-450whp is about right for your list of mods, maybe even optimistic for 450whp. You still have your primary cats, correct? The bulk of your gain in power over a stock car would be your tune and possibly tweaks made to your intakes (i.e. charcoal deletes, scoops, filters). Your secondary cat delete shouldn't add much, if at all.

FWIW, I dynoed about 465whp on a Dynojet for my car a while back and I don't have primary cats on my car. But I've never dyno'ed on a Mustang so I can't be sure what numbers I would see for that setup. I've just read that a Mustang dyno generally reads lower than a Dynojet.
Yes, I still have the OEM headers (with the primary cats). I plan on getting catless headers in the near future!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, why is there so much variation between the Dynojet and Mustang dyno?

Is there a method to standardize the numbers (e.g., 450whp on a Mustang dyno is equivalent to 470whp on a Dynojet, etc.)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
There are many reasons for the variances in the measurements between the Mustang and the Dyno-Jet. The basic design of the machine being number one.

Creating a reference chart for comparing the measured output on dyno X vs. Dyno Y, is rather pointless as there are so many variables for which one would have to account. Things like temp, fuel quality, how the vehicle is constrained, the operator, which gear, and so on...

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
There are many reasons for the variances in the measurements between the Mustang and the Dyno-Jet. The basic design of the machine being number one.

Creating a reference chart for comparing the measured output on dyno X vs. Dyno Y, is rather pointless as there are so many variables for which one would have to account. Things like temp, fuel quality, how the vehicle is constrained, the operator, which gear, and so on...

Well put. Dynos really shouldn't be taken that seriously for comparing one car to another, unless the two cars are ran on the same dyno under the same conditions.

What a dyno really is good for is seeing deltas with before and after mod additions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
156 Posts
I dynoed at 430 RWHP stock on a DynoJet. I did the secondary cats, resonator, and charcoal filter delete. I dynoed again on the same dyno different day and actually produced a few RWHP less. It could have been for any number of reasons as already stated.

Anyway the fans they have blowing are more for added cooling and not necessarily to simulate the force of air at 100mph. I think for intake mods you have to be actually driving for their benefit.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Well put. Dynos really shouldn't be taken that seriously for comparing one car to another, unless the two cars are ran on the same dyno under the same conditions.

What a dyno really is good for is seeing deltas with before and after mod additions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Exactly. If you're doing performance modifications, it is advisable to do several dyno pulls to create a baseline and repeat on the same equipment at near the same conditions to measure the delta.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys! Appreciate it!

I'll be back to post my numbers. :M5launch:

·
Read Only
1,256 Posts
Here's my run a while back. Only thing at the time was RPi scoops, charcoal delete, and upgraded filters. Don't think they has fans on though because it was about 35 degrees out.

435 best run. Oh and the guy said he's had folks complain his reads low but it's a Dynojet 4wd version.

I need a new one now that I've Evolved :)

ImageUploadedByAG Free1399074312.614045.jpg

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So I decided to have the beast dynoed on a Dynojet rather than the Mustang Dyno.

Found a local shop that charges $75 for 3 pulls; not bad!

Will get it dynoed shortly and be back to post my numbers :M5launch:

Reactions: Mcc420

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
So I decided to have the beast dynoed on a Dynojet rather than the Mustang Dyno.

Will get it dynoed shortly and be back to post my numbers :M5launch:
Why did you decide to change dynos? Is it cause you wanted to see higher numbers? :p

Just kidding. What is it really that you want to gain from dyno'ing? Before/after modification comparisons? To have an idea of how much power your car puts down? The latter really isn't that accurate unless you do a MAHA dyno and keep in mind that every dyno has variations. There are correction factors that try to standardize across the board, but it doesn't work as well as expected. MAHA is supposed to be the most accurate, AFAIK, but they're also very hard to find.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My car did pretty well for being bone stock on a Dynojet. Notice the variance between pulls. Run 3 being much stronger then the first. This is also with SAE correction. STD was a bit higher.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
My car did pretty well for being bone stock on a Dynojet. Notice the variance between pulls. Run 3 being much stronger then the first. This is also with SAE correction. STD was a bit higher.

Wow that's a lot of variance between the 3 runs...you didn't run it a few more times to see if it stabilized better?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Wow that's a lot of variance between the 3 runs...you didn't run it a few more times to see if it stabilized better?
Nope. It was a dyno day so there were a bunch of cars to get through. I will go back to this place after I get some performance mods though.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why did you decide to change dynos? Is it cause you wanted to see higher numbers? :p

Just kidding. What is it really that you want to gain from dyno'ing? Before/after modification comparisons? To have an idea of how much power your car puts down? The latter really isn't that accurate unless you do a MAHA dyno and keep in mind that every dyno has variations. There are correction factors that try to standardize across the board, but it doesn't work as well as expected. MAHA is supposed to be the most accurate, AFAIK, but they're also very hard to find.
Bottom line, I want to establish a baseline (at this point in time with my current mods) before moving on to additional mods (e.g., catless headers, Evolve intakes, Evolve stage 3 tune, etc.). And yes, the higher numbers from the Dynojet don't hurt either lol... I guess I'm just trying to protect myself from the lower numbers produced on the Mustang Dynos haha... :dunno:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts