BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so we have m5s with 400 hp,the new amg e class with approx 460 hp,the new rs6 with 460 hp.
Now to outdo that we have the next m5 with 500hp and just announced is the next gen Audi Rs6 with the lamborghini engine in it.with something like 550 -600 hp
What to do ? Im due to change next year and was going to get the RS6 until the new m5 appears but why do that when the rs6 is only going to get about 12 months b4 the new audi a6 series comes out ?
And the 6 series looks like a hyundai what has happened to the designers at BMW ?
Ah well there's always public transport :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
There's one problem with the RS6. It's an estate, meaning the rear is always flying around... The same thing happened with the RS4, the RS6 is even longer.... so imagine. However, in a straight line, the RSx models are great.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Yes it is.

HP wars are really going on here.

The new S55 and CL55 with 500 HP!

And the S600 and CL600 with Maybach engine with 800 Nm :confused: :confused:

They are insanely fast!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Oh, didn't know the RS6 would come in saloon form too. Man, 800nm... that's simply ausome. Maybe BMW should consider going turbo too......

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hi all.
Cars nowadays are getting more powerful all the time, well thats OK with me, but what I don`t like is that they are getting heavier too.My M5 touring weighs about 1900 kg and thats too much.well It´s clearly OK with 340hp, But i think the thing to do for BMW would be getting their sports models lighter. I don´t mind 500 hp in a car that weighs 2t but its clear that a car with 500hp weighing 1400kg(for example) is way better. The effect is useless if the car is like a tank. curving ability and acceleration would benefit a lot from less weight.
Just my 2c
DrSakke

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
the word in the magazines is the next generation 5er will weigh a little less than the E39.... you can thank aluminum for that. so more features and lower weight. sounds like a good combination.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Agreed, it's ridiculous and scarry with all these hugely powerful cars around (with a lot of poor drivers unlike me;) ). Just because you have the money to buy a 500hp mercedes doesn't mean you know how to drive. I am just afraid governments will start to put a curb on this by limiting output or by being even more strict on speed limits. We will all end up worse off because car makers have lost their minds :confused: . Off course in the mean time we get fantastic cars to choose from but don't expect this trend to continue.....

I agree as well with the weight argument, I hope BMW keeps working on handling and not only on huge HP numbers.....

I guess I am just sad we only have very few days left with the M5 being the fastest production sedan on the planet :crying:

·
Registered
765 Posts
I guess I am just sad we only have very few days left with the M5 being the fastest production sedan on the planet

Big deal man. M5 is a good car and ultimately that's what matters. If one never cared about it being the fastest saloon on the planet or cared little about it then the loss of the "title" won't mean anything. On the other hand if it was important for someone then sure it's gonna hurt. Then one's gonna chase different brands all his life to have the fastest car/saloon, because nothing's static and BMW competitors are working hard to stop the "king of the hill" thing.

·
Registered
679 Posts
"Big deal man. M5 is a good car and ultimately that's what matters"

You are spot on, it's just my "competitive" spirit talking :haha:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yea, exactly, who gives? So what if the MB outperforms the current M5..... in a straight line? Time both cars on a track..... that's where you can evaluate the "overall" performance of a car. And no, not an Oval....

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
all these rediculous HP wars are silly. What the next M5 needs to do is drop some wieght, not nessecerily add lots of more HP. Look at the Lotus Esprit, it only has something like 130 HP right? but the thing flies like no ones bussiness. Adding these bigger engines just add more wieght, so MB has to make thier cars bigger ( for 50/50 weight) and in turn the car ends up weighing WAY too much. I would rather have a 500lb less M5 and only lets say 450-500 HP. And that would beat anything out on the market today...

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'd like to see an M5 CSL...an M5 with about 600-800lbs less weight. It would take some dazzling engineering to pull this off, but it would be worth it. Then, just to make it even more delicious, let's tweak the current V8 just a bit. Slight increase in displacement, perhaps to 5.2-5.4L, give it even more breathing (a small, very discreet but highly functional scoop in the hood would be fine by me), and finally an even less restrictive exhaust. Can you imagine how such a car would drive? An M5 weighing 3200-3400lbs, with 5.4L 450HP engine under the hood. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.mmmmmm

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I agree, but...

I agree with the point you make, but I find 400 h.p. a bit boring now. I know 500 would be very useable and more too my liking. In my opinion, 500 is not overkill for driver's like us. 500 h.p. can easily be gotten used to, and used in everyday driving experiences on a limited basis. People tell me what do you do, or what do you need with 400 h.p., and I say it is rather mundane for me sometimes. They say, where can you use all that power? I tell them that I use it all the time even during a commute and it sometimes it even fails to impress me. So, I'm sure 500 is about right for me, especially since the car is 4000 lbs.

I find that in high speed encounters on highways, that the M5 can gather so much speed on a straight sections that I actually have to brake a bit for high speed kinks. These same kinks would be taken flat out in power-limited cars I have driven in the past, because I had not accrued so much speed on the straight sections. This is a very different experience than front drive cars with limited h.p.

It is like point and squirt high speed driving, where I accelerate as hard as possible to the next turn or kink, apply the brakes semi-aggressively, set up for entry at maximum attainable speed, hit the apex, and then bury the throttle for the straight run to the next curve. This is true for any high powered, heavy car I guess.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Agreed. 500 is Delicious .

My C5 dynoed at 396 RWHP (approx. 502 at the crank, modifications completed 3 months ago), and it is wonderful, even though it scares me sometimes....I've learned to respect it. The car weighs 3300lbs. I can almost never drive it flat out. Frankly, it's more than I can handle. I'll probably get accustomed to it in time, but right now I need to take it easy. I've signed up for some additional driving school courses later this year.

I don't see the M5 getting any lighter. It would cost billions in development and the price of the car would probably exceed $100k. There's still a lot of people at BMW who remember the E31 project, the M version of which (the 850CSi) was an engineering success but a marketing/sales disaster. The 850CSi sold for $108,000 USD in 1994. Only 107 cars made it to the US. It was a fantastic car, I'd take one right now if I could get one in mint condition. For more info on the E31, look here: http://www.e31.net/videos_e.html

Apparently, the bean counters have decided it's far more cost effective to leverage the technology from BMW racing, the V10 engine, than to continue development on the V8. They'll probably just concentrate on getting the thing to work and meeting their deadlines in the first production year, and worry about reducing weight later, if at all.

G

·
0 Posts
I know what you guys mean:biggrin:
If i was to learn in a powerful car (eg M5) then i would become accustomed to the power and would know how to respect it and use it to my full potential (where road and weather permits) so......what I'm getting at is that when todays young generation grows older you'll be able to buy these cars down the supermarket, which would be seriously dangerous for those buying the cars with limited exsperience with these super fast autos and then it will have a shock wave effect and go right the way back to insurance hikes, family's in grief over a lost love ones etc. But if the young people are brought up with it, 500-600hp will be pretty mundane, when teenagers will be driving cars with a 1000hp Nitrogen fuel cell SUV possible of conering at 2 g's that will be something to worry about. just my 2 pence hehe. Over words I wouldn't mind learning to drive in the M5 :biggrin:

Later Clint,;)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: I agree, but...

HBRAMSTEDT said:
I agree with the point you make, but I find 400 h.p. a bit boring now. I know 500 would be very useable and more too my liking. In my opinion, 500 is not overkill for driver's like us. People tell me what do you do, or what do you need with 400 h.p., and I say it is rather mundane for me sometimes. They say, where can you use all that power? I tell them that I use it all the time even during a commute and it sometimes it even fails to impress me. So, I'm sure 500 is about right for me, especially since the car is 4000 lbs.
:eek: 400bhp is boring!!!??? Would you give us an example of when it fails to impress you during your commute?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
OK, one example

Fred has even mentioned that he gets used to 400. He said that when he added the header, the car seemed to deliver a new level of performance that freshened up the driving experience.

One example is when the temp gets a little warmer in summer, and the M5 (as well as any other car) doesn't seem as sharp. Maybe during the commute you don't always want to downshift, and with 500 h.p. and the extra torque, a same-gear pass is effortless.

During a commute, I may want to bury a C5 in a limited amount of space. With 400 h.p., I can't really do it with ease, the C5 hangs with me, and no one is really impressed.

Also, I may want to step on it hard after breaking out of commuter traffic. The M5 is a bit warm, the ignition has been retarded, and full throttle is not that great. Many times I step on it full throttle, it feels strong, but the experience is exactly the same. It leaves me wanting more.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Re: Re: I agree, but...

MAVERICK said:
:eek: 400bhp is boring!!!??? Would you give us an example of when it fails to impress you during your commute?
Anything that you do all the time becomes second nature. After driving the M5 day-in and day-out you stop being impressed by the power because you get used to it. This was the case for me. Now that I have the MINI and drive it on a daily basis, the M5 feel much more powerful -- even though it hasn't changed a bit.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts