BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's that time. I'm seriously considering trading up to an 2008 M5 from my 2002.

I know the manual is a lot more fun, but I'm worried this will put more wear on the car. I already slipped the clutch a couple times with my E39 by accident. I also wanted to ask if the E60 is quicker with a manual? or does the SMG shift faster and make it faster?

Thanks in advance,
~Mark

·
Registered
800 Posts
oh man....please do a search there is so much information already on both tranny's regarding performance, usability, and preferences.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Dealers have a hard time moving six-speed equipped M5's. I guess that means SMG is more in demand, so better resale.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Dealers have a hard time moving six-speed equipped M5's. I guess that means SMG is more in demand, so better resale.
True for right now. However if a dual clutch tranny comes in 09 I think 6 speeders will have the last laugh when it comes to resale values.

NavM do I know you? I believe we're in the same next of the woods:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I guess its all down to if you want a 3rd pedal or not. And to answer your question, SMG must be faster cuz its not humanly possible to shift close to how SMG shifts yet some are claiming that manual is faster even though you have launch control on SMG.

p.s. Since you are coming from a e39 M5, dont forget that the e60 is a whole lot different and doesnt have the grunt down under. So quick downshifts on that F1 paddle is much needed :biggrin:

·
Registered
157 Posts
+1 the SMG is the next generation in transmissions. It is so much easier to handle than pushing the clutch.... it is a more sophisticated drive. No one mentions it much but the engine double clutches for you when shifting. You cannnot make as smooth shifts with a 6spd, I am sure. And a big factor is with all the power, you dont need anything else to do, you are plenty busy driving the car. And on road courses, the paddles are the absolute way to go, for safety and control.
It will take a little getting used to but thats part of the fun.

Why do you think alll F1 cars have SMG type transmissions????

I went thru the same uncertainty before buying my M5, test drives were unconclusive, but after having the car for a couple of hours, it got it, it is fantasic!lovelove

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Wow, this is tons of help everyone , thanks! I tried the search but this was more helpful.
Not sure how a few meaningful posts in this thread can outweigh the hundreds/thousands of other posts on this topic, most of which can be obtained via a search. That said, you should go to your dealer and drive them both to help with your decision.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
If you want something reliable get the manual.

·
Registered
568 Posts
True for right now. However if a dual clutch tranny comes in 09 I think 6 speeders will have the last laugh when it comes to resale values.

NavM do I know you? I believe we're in the same next of the woods:thumbsup:
I've seen a Sepang M5 on Wisconsin Avenue a few times. Perhaps it was you.

As for the dual clutch, I think it will be the next generation M5 but if they put in in the current model, then I agree it will affect the resale value of SMG.

·
Registered
238 Posts
SMG of course!! Thats an amazing transmission! If you want a manual car, go for the M3! M5s must have SMG!!!!!! :M5launch:

·
Registered
150 Posts
i don't believe one is vastly superior to the other. the 07's and 08's that have smg seem to be more reliable and smoother. the 6 speed shifts incredibly smoothly without having to program this or that. if 10/10ths driving is your thing than i would go smg. if 9/10ths is a more realistic definition of how you drive i would go 6 speed. good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is really a matter of personal preference. Since i have always driven a manual car, I ended up buying a 6 speed M5, and I love it. When I spoke to other driving enthusiasts, they preferred the SMG. Either way, if you are buying an M5, YOU ARE A WINNER.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I test drove a 6-speed late last year and of course it was a great car. However, I *love* the SMGIII on my '08 and wouldn't have it any other way. Just stay away from the slow shift settings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts