BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've got my Sirius supported radio, I'm getting very itchy to start my stereo system. Unfortunately, it won't be for several months...but here is a preview of what will be installed.
  • Stock HU
  • BMW Sirius retrofit kit
  • Soundstream VanGogh 800.5
  • Boston Pro 6.5's
  • I have Boston RM6's for the rear but I might get smaller rears?
  • CD Changer (that plays MP3's)
  • DVD TV (NavTV)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Retrofitting in a IPod with IceLink or Sirius radio is a good route. What are you going to be using the amp for? Just the speakers, or also the stock subs? Will you haved to bypass and disable the DSP because of this, similar to what other members have done?

Travis

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have to bypass the DSP. The amp is a 5-channel so it runs all 4 speakers and the sub. It's a bridgable class A/B (mains) and D (sub channel) amp. It's rated at 50w x 4 rms @ 4 ohms (mains) and 200w x 1 rms @4ohms (sub channel). My JL 12w6 is 3ohm so it's getting about 300w. The Bostons are also 3ohm, I believe, but could be wrong. So 50w-75w there. it's a very clean sounding amp...great bang for the buck. I had it installed in another car previously and it really does a fine job.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just ordered that same soundstream amp for my bronco...I am not a stereo expert, but a friend told me it was a great amp..and I got it for a great price. let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
What approach are you going to take the disable the DSP?

Also, what kind of enclosure are you going to use for your JL sub. Nice choice in products, even though I am partial to Diamond stuff.

Travis

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not totally sure just yet. I'm thinking it has to be line outs. The JL is in a square 1.25 cu. ft. sealed enclosure. I'm rebuilding that to fut the rear seat angle. Then I'll build a platform for the amp so everything looks very clean. I'll do the std. gray carpeting to match the trunk, however, I'd love to get some alcantera like the headliner. Not sure how crazy I'll get. My goal is to have a great sounding system that is 100% stealth. I don't like to advertise.

·
Registered
355 Posts
boostmiser said:
Not totally sure just yet. I'm thinking it has to be line outs. The JL is in a square 1.25 cu. ft. sealed enclosure. I'm rebuilding that to fut the rear seat angle. Then I'll build a platform for the amp so everything looks very clean. I'll do the std. gray carpeting to match the trunk, however, I'd love to get some alcantera like the headliner. Not sure how crazy I'll get. My goal is to have a great sounding system that is 100% stealth. I don't like to advertise.
Yep my amp rack and sub enclosure are in alcantara - you can just about tell from the photos in my gallery; does look great in the flesh........

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Seems like a good intall. I agree with you, I'm into low profile, like my cars. Another idea would be to shape the enclosure to fit the right side cubby in the trunk. Some work with fiberglass would probably be necessary. Although, I'm not sure what the space requirements are for the JL sub, although I know they are pretty substantial.

Check out beetlem5's post on his stereo install to get the information on eliminating DSP.

Travis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts