BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set up a little 'lab' to see how this little setup is going to work. I want to get Sirius running as well. I have the correct radio but it's hard to come by any MK4 DVD units. Soon....Soon I keep telling myself.



ps...will also be setting up an appt. to get a UUC direct fit clutch and SSK/DSSR this week :) I'm done for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
boostmiser said:
Set up a little 'lab' to see how this little setup is going to work. I want to get Sirius running as well. I have the correct radio but it's hard to come by any MK4 DVD units. Soon....Soon I keep telling myself.



ps...will also be setting up an appt. to get a UUC direct fit clutch and SSK/DSSR this week :) I'm done for a while.
Looks intersting, where do you get the signal from? As in the pin numbers in the connector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
I know what SSK is, but what is DSSR?:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
boostmiser,

I've been slacking on your audio threads. What is your final decision on your setup? What will it consist of? What enclosure are you using for the sub and amps? And most importantly, how are you getting past DSP?

Travis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made an appointment on the 19th to have the UUC cluth and DSSR put in. Now I have to order it tonight.

The audio:

I built and carpeted a 1.25 cu. ft.(internal) box to fit the slope of the trunk. It doesn't take up too much room. It contains a single JL 12w6.

I'm going to make this a phased approach. I'm going to hook up the LC6, amp and sub first. If I like what I hear, I'll buy a dedicated amp for the sub and call it a day. If not, I'll run the 5-channel amp and replace all the speakers with my Boston Pro's. To get around the DSP. Well, My thought was to replace the dsp amp with a non-dsp amp. Then take that signal to the LC6. However, I'm not totally sure I need to bypass it. Someone else posted their installer combined the signals. So I really need to think about it some. I really haven't done enough research as I've been busy. Anyhow, at least I'll have bass in the first phase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Sounds good. The JL subs need a lot of air volume. I run Diamond components (10" M6 sub powered by single channel D3 amp) and my box is only .75 cubic feet. Granted it's a 10", but still.

On another note, I finally heard a W6 a few days ago. Very nice, and from what I understand with the proper enclosure and power they really make one question the need for a W7. Plus, they look better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll let you all know when it's done and how it sounds.

I ordered my clutch, ssk, dssr and tranny mounts today from UUC. They go in on the 29th. Haaaa...now I can take the car to the track :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clutch slippage. Would have run a 16 the way the 2-3 / 3-4 shifts were.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1/4 drag strip....sorrry
Got the clutch, mounts and dssr in the mail today. No SSK...must be backordered. I've got to call...hope I get it next week for my Monday appt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I recently completed a set-up with a 5-channel amp and Boston speakers. My installer first tried to remove the DSP amp and picked up a clean full range signal, but could not get any volume control from the head unit. We settled for a combined signal from the DSP amp. The results are just O.K. The signal is still not full range and the noise floor is quite high as the downstream amp boosts the distortion from the DSP amp. I would also be interested in hearing about an effective work-around.



boostmiser said:
I made an appointment on the 19th to have the UUC cluth and DSSR put in. Now I have to order it tonight.

The audio:

I built and carpeted a 1.25 cu. ft.(internal) box to fit the slope of the trunk. It doesn't take up too much room. It contains a single JL 12w6.

I'm going to make this a phased approach. I'm going to hook up the LC6, amp and sub first. If I like what I hear, I'll buy a dedicated amp for the sub and call it a day. If not, I'll run the 5-channel amp and replace all the speakers with my Boston Pro's. To get around the DSP. Well, My thought was to replace the dsp amp with a non-dsp amp. Then take that signal to the LC6. However, I'm not totally sure I need to bypass it. Someone else posted their installer combined the signals. So I really need to think about it some. I really haven't done enough research as I've been busy. Anyhow, at least I'll have bass in the first phase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
The LC6 has been the key to my DSP audio happiness. I have been running it for a few weeks now and it works great. I would recommend it to anyone with an aftermarket setup. You should get very close to full range by using the speaker outs for the rear; high, mid, and sub.

I have not tried to use the DSP to see how it sounds but I am sure the delay sounds the same. LAME.

I have 6.5 boston pros in the front powered by a JL 300/2 and I am thinking I need a speaker that can better handle the power. Any recommendations?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Have you thought about trying out a "REAL" 5.1 system with a REAL Center Channel ?

I suppose the question is ... WHERE do you put that Center Channel Speaker in an M5 ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
I have had a 3.1 system with a dedicated Yamaha DSP processor in an RX-7. I spent a lot of money for the DSP and ended up not using it.

While a 5.1 Dolby Surround would be great for a movie, music is not recorded in anything other than 2.0 (stereo). I just dont think DSP is that great for music.

Do you enjoy hearing the echo effect?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Falb said:
The LC6 has been the key to my DSP audio happiness.
FALB...are you using one LC6 or two? As I think more about this, I believe two are needed for optimum results. We have 8 channels, not 6. With one, the front channels would have to be split and you would loose the fader. Unless there is some method to combining the signals first?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
Yep. I dont have a operable fader function on the radio.

In fact I do not have rear speakers.

I believe that you get better imaging with only fronts, plus I usually do not have the radio on when I have people in the back seat.

If you used one LC6 on the rear channels to get a stereo full range signal you would not be able to use the fader on the radio. BUT you could control the fader from the gains on the amplifiers. if you had a 4 channel amp you could adjust the gain for the rear channels to be higher or lower, relative to the gain on the front channel. This would involve using a screwdriver in the trucnk and would make fader changes while driving difficult at best.

As an FYI I have two JL 10w2 firing forward toward the cabin. the front of the box is angled parallel to the back seats and set about 4 inches behind the back seats. The ski port is removed so that when the rear armrest is down you can see part of the speakers. The bass is nice and crisp in the cabin and the trunk acts like a second enclosure. Instead of having the speakers sealed in the truck this allows the speakers to have more external airspace.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top