BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the dealer finally got back to me and said the car is getting a new long block. I thought some people here mentioned that with a new long block comes a 50000 mile warranty because it is a new engine. the dealer is telling me it will only be covered as long as my extended warranty holds which is only 8000 more miles. is it supposed to have a warranty or not? Also is there a break in on this or should it already be broken in?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My experiences with warranties are that if something is replaced under warranty the item is only under warranty for the length of time the warranty has left so your understanding unfortunately is correct, seems a bit unfair but that is how it works.

I am not sure about running in the new engine but I am sure someone on here will know

·
Registered
687 Posts
Your new long block will need to be treated just as any new engine would with the 1,200 mile break-in, etc. Even if the dealership doesn't specify it, still do it. You are setting up the rest of your engine's life. My guess is though that they will, including using lighter break-in oil, etc.

Good luck and at least you got a new engine!

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes you do have to break it in. Here is my 2cents on doing such. I have for ever broken in my cars by going on a long trip. Like maybe 200 miles in one direction or even more if you have some place to go that has distance. I would drive the car to 80 mph, then back off the gas till I hit near 50 or so. Then go back up to 80 and back down to 50. This is a big pain in the butt, as people think your crazy, passing them, then they pass you. But I can tell you it is the best way to do it. Rings wear under a load one way and wear another way when you back off the gas. My M6 burns oil every 5000 miles where I have to put in a quart. My Chevy truck which I put on 900 miles all at once when I picked it up does not burn ANY oil before an oil change is needed. Which I do at 5000 or 6000 miles. My M has 74,000 miles and my truck 50,0000. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts