BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
i just ordered the pentosin mtf2 from autohaus az. seems like the RP shifts like crap after a few thousand miles which isnt cool. and the redline seems to be iffy.

·
Registered
529 Posts
i just ordered the pentosin mtf2 from autohaus az. seems like the RP shifts like crap after a few thousand miles which isnt cool. and the redline seems to be iffy.
a little thread revival here. I put in the RP synchromax last august and it seemed to make the shifter feel a little more "crisp". It hasn't been so great in the winter though. When the temps dip down below 40*F, and the car hasn't warmed up, I have to align the revs (and all the planets) just right to take care of the synchros in 1st and 2nd. I think I'll be switching over to the Pentosin or something. I'll take a little less feedback from the shifter for healthy synchros anyday.

Anyone else getting the same result with RP in the winter? (And I'm in Texas, wtf!?)

·
Registered
689 Posts
a little thread revival here. I put in the RP synchromax last august and it seemed to make the shifter feel a little more "crisp". It hasn't been so great in the winter though. When the temps dip down below 40*F, and the car hasn't warmed up, I have to align the revs (and all the planets) just right to take care of the synchros in 1st and 2nd. I think I'll be switching over to the Pentosin or something. I'll take a little less feedback from the shifter for healthy synchros anyday.

Anyone else getting the same result with RP in the winter? (And I'm in Texas, wtf!?)
RP here in Toronto - Put in around 80K miles - now at 137K miles.
First to second isn't the nicest.
I really have to baby it when cold.
Car is garaged so it rarely sees extreme cold starts.

I'm also hearing a whirring between shifts - only between gears - not in gear.

The Getrag tranny in this car has never been a fantastic shifter.

I'll be looking for some fluid to change in the diff and transmission.

What is the consensus on gear oil for both the transmission and the rear diff?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well I can say that I put RP synchromax in my trans when I got the car a few months ago.. shifted great at first. It's been about 3k miles and it shifts like s*it now.. it improves a little when the ambient temp goes above say 50 or so but overall I am not impressed at all. Gonna change to BMW OEM fluid soon

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I put RP in around 60k miles and now have 86k. It is very difficult to shift into 1st and 2nd when the temp and car are cold. The colder the temp, the worse it gets.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Interesting. It seems like syncromax does not like the cold. Down here in the hotbox, it's maybe the first 1 or 2 shifts from 1-2 that are bad and then it's all good.
Same here in beautiful CA. No issues syncromax at all and its been over 25k miles.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Are first to second shifts not stiff even with BMW fluid especially when cold?
I am using RP and mine is really still when cold.
I normally bypass second send go straight to third until she warms up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Are first to second shifts not stiff even with BMW fluid especially when cold?
I am using RP and mine is really still when cold.
I normally bypass second send go straight to third until she warms up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Mine was stiff with BMW fluid, but I don't remember it being quite this stiff. RP was less stiff at first and an improvement over BMW fluid. It must have degraded over time because it has gotten really stiff lately. We have had some really cold weather this year, too, though.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I think it's in an effort to get 'better' oil. However I've done a lot of research and the BMW oil is good for the application. I went for RP as I wanted to improve cold start notchyness and it has done that. Next is to see how long the improvement lasts which seems a matter of debate. But at the end of the day you can never guess everyone elses condition of associated parts: gearbox, shifter and shifter linkage and bushes.

I would advise to stay away from Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID 75W-80 if you are in a climate similar to the UK; which I was suggested by Opie Oils. It's probably a very good oil but it did seem to make the gearbox a little more notchy in the cold.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm about to do trans oil. So.... after all these years, its sounding like BMW oil really is the best way to go? Weird. I'll get the BMW lifetime fluid I think.
unless someone cares to reply eoth cliffnotes. 20 pages... really? This should have been settled by now, gentlemen.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
I'm about to do trans oil. So.... after all these years, its sounding like BMW oil really is the best way to go? Weird. I'll get the BMW lifetime fluid I think.
unless someone cares to reply eoth cliffnotes. 20 pages... really? This should have been settled by now, gentlemen.
I changed the fluid to the BMW MTF-LT2. Didn't see any improvement. Swapped out almost new fluid for Redline MT90. Wow, what a difference. No issues, smooth shifts, a very nice snick, snick changing gears.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Is there a reason why most people seem to use some other than BMW oil in transmission?

I read that RP was much smoother and I was near 60k miles, so I did it. I'm probably going to swap it out to something else before next winter since apparently it freezes solid below 40F after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I read that RP was much smoother and I was near 60k miles, so I did it. I'm probably going to swap it out to something else before next winter since apparently it freezes solid below 40F after a few thousand miles.
Its more than that. Its too thick to let the synchomesh do its job. Imagine sandpaper covered with thick oil. Sandpaper doesn't work. Same concept. When trans oil gets older people notice it take much much longer to thin out.

181 - 200 of 222 Posts