BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, I made a trip to the shop where George is located. When he took in the car, He immediately went to work on looking for anything out of the place. He found something that would probably cost me a lot of money if this haven't taken care of. He also found many small bits weren't properly torqued.

All six nuts were loose on driveshaft to differential!!!!! I was stunned and pissed off at the same time. That shop who did the work lost me as a customer. :grrrrr: I paid a lot of money for this job. $1200 labor for rear main seal, center drag link with outer tie rods, and few parts in clutch system.

Anyways, George immediately took my M5 for a drive and noticed that the suspension is clunking. This were fixed by replacing sway bar end links and bolts properly torqued. He did the vanos test and bank 1 passed. Bank 2 did not. He went in and cleaned up the solenoids with new seals. Upon the start up after the solenoids cleaning, it was much quieter. As a deaf guy who grew to be very sensitive to feel the car, I noticed that it was different feeling. I felt that it was much smoother and almost like lexus idling quality.

Before the work were done, I could not spin tires in first and second gear. You bet this is happening right now. My face look like this :biggrinbounce: Now, I have to go easy on my rear tires. :M5rev:

Big props to George for diagnosing and finding lazy jobs or half assed work from shops. He is now the guy I will go to for any major work.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Thank you for the nice post. It was a pleasure working with you and on your beast the best part of the night is when it sat there and spun 1st to 2nd the look on your face was priceless!!! Anyhow we found loose sway bar links, driveshaft, bank2 solenoids two were clogged bank1 cold solder joint. Replaced the o rings and his power came back. A simple run of the mill repair.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
And people ask me why I insist on working on my own cars. It's amazing how many hacks there are out there. I'm glad you caught their sloppy work before it got ugly.

Yeah, most people trust that when a shop does it, its done right, but in the end - we are all human.

Except people like M5Daemon - those are the only kinds of guys I trust to work on my car :wroom:

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The reason im like this is all due to my father, master bmw techs run in the family. also there was a point in my life i had someone due a clutch on bmw of mine and guess what i found a ton of **** wrong. So i know the feeling... I am human and have made mistakes in the past but i own up to them and learned from them and give it my all not to make them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
M5 Deamon- Is there anyone down here in Texas with your caliber of skills? New York is a bit of a drive from Dallas...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
M5 Deamon- Is there anyone down here in Texas with your caliber of skills? New York is a bit of a drive from Dallas...

UBS is Carrollton is a solid shop. I also have a buddy who is a master tech that moonlights on the weekend. Only 2 outside of the dealer that touch my cars.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah, most people trust that when a shop does it, its done right, but in the end - we are all human.

Except people like M5Daemon - those are the only kinds of guys I trust to work on my car :wroom:
I noticed you live in Phoenix, who works on your car. I am in need of a reliable, honest BMW mechanic.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
There you go, another happy customer!!!

I said it before and will say it again that George is a great Guy and knows his stuff. He is actually more picky than I.

Can't wait for you to announce the opening of your new shop, I'll be there to support. :)

Reactions: ///DeafM5

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
DeafM5,

Are you still thinking if buying another M5 now that your beast is back to normal?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
DeafM5,

Are you still thinking if buying another M5 now that your beast is back to normal?
I am going to end up keeping my beast. After talking to George about the rod bearing job (the M5 has knocking noises). It is very expensive job so I will pass on that.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
I am going to end up keeping my beast. After talking to George about the rod bearing job (the M5 has knocking noises). It is very expensive job so I will pass on that.
If it's making rod noises why keep the car?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DeafM5,

If it's making rod noises why keep the car?
I am sorry for not making this clear enough. My beast have no rod issues. The one I was looking at had rod bearing issues or just started to make the knocking noises.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
I am sorry for not making this clear enough. My beast have no rod issues. The one I was looking at had rod bearing issues or just started to make the knocking noises.
GOT IT!

I'm in the process of putting a part list for bunch of thing and than off to George! :) I plan on road trip to FL sometimes in August so I have to get the beast in proper working order. What else are you doing maintenance wise?

I have to check and adjust timing, and I'm doing a complete vanos refresh. I remember how strong she felt periodically. Traction wasn't holding just by going WOT in first and second gear, and again I don't mean dumping clutch, rather rolling into throttle in 2nd gear engaged. Is that what is happening for you now? What are your L/H reading in the menu 4, no2 option?

·
Registered
355 Posts
What about Richmond Virginia? Know anyone solid?

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
What about Richmond Virginia? Know anyone solid?
Might as well ship the car if its something bigger. What do you need to have done?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GOT IT!

I'm in the process of putting a part list for bunch of thing and than off to George! :) I plan on road trip to FL sometimes in August so I have to get the beast in proper working order. What else are you doing maintenance wise?

I have to check and adjust timing, and I'm doing a complete vanos refresh. I remember how strong she felt periodically. Traction wasn't holding just by going WOT in first and second gear, and again I don't mean dumping clutch, rather rolling into throttle in 2nd gear engaged. Is that what is happening for you now? What are your L/H reading in the menu 4, no2 option?
I have to check the power during rolling acceleration in second, but it should spin the tires no problem now. I have to reset the adaptions soon. I will check into my L/H reading when I have chance. This week is pretty busy for me trying to plan a surprise party for my parents. On top of that, I have 2 summer classes and trying to make sure I secure few classes for the fall semester. For the next 2 years, I will not have a life outside the school. I just want to be done with school. I like to try to keep myself productive.

Maintenance wise; I am doing valve cover gaskets, intake cam sensors, lower and upper hoses for oil separators, and few small things. There are nothing big that requires immediate attention beside the oil consumption (probably from valve cover gaskets and hoses combined).

Reactions: Wishin4anM5

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
its not going to spin tires in second on a roll unless your supercharged

1 - 20 of 33 Posts