BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently decided to switch out the ugly yellow bulbs to LED for the interior. After doing some research on a few different forums, I read that everyone complains that BMW doesn't make a full kit that covered the festoon bulbs as well. So I did some digging around and asked my friend that works at a dealer to look up all the LED kits that BMW sells. Well, the end result is that they do in fact make LED festoon bulbs as well.

I got the kits ordered and after getting them, I did some testing to see how they compare. I installed 2 other brands of LED bulbs at the same time in different locations to see if there are any differences. My conclusion is that the color temperature of the BMW LED output is pure white and its less blue-ish compared with the other bulbs, as well the BMW LED bulbs produced a perfect light output which is not blinding compared to the other bulbs and the BMW LED bulbs gradually lights up where as the other bulbs just turns on instantly. I also noticed that the BMW bulbs will dims all the way down where as the other bulbs will only dim to a point where it will just go off.

10 piece kit (part number 63122212788)
- 6 for dome kits
- 4 for the doors

2 piece kit (part number 63122351265) will need to buy 2 of these
- 2 for under the dash
- 1 for glove box

Trunk LED (part number 63312348803) will need to buy 2 of these
- 1 for the truck lid
- 1 for under the rear deck

20140513_190717.jpg
20140513_190728.jpg
20140513_190356.jpg
$_57.jpg

I did not buy the BMW trunk LED, but instead I purchased 4 Philips 6000K 43mm LED bulbs and installed them into the trunk and for under the front visors.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice info! Thanks! Is that last pic of the bmw rear plate led light?

EDIT: just saw that is for the trunk..
Yes, that's for the trunk. I didn't buying it because there is no dimming function for those lights in the trunk and the Philips LED matches the BMW kit pretty good. Also the BMW trunk LED comes in at around $40 each, where as the Philips goes for $10 each.

·
2,149 Posts
Yes, that's for the trunk. I didn't buying it because there is no dimming function for those lights in the trunk and the Philips LED matches the BMW kit pretty good. Also the BMW trunk LED comes in at around $40 each, where as the Philips goes for $10 each.
yea wow pricey for sure... i went with superbrihgt leds for the trunk and visors.. but def alot cheaper then the bmw kit.. The main bmw kit is worth it, since those are the most used and seen lights.

I wonder if that trunk led will fit the plates mmmm lol..

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Damn! $40 for the interior trunk LED?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Nice. I got the 10 piece kit. I will need to get the OEM trunk LEDs too. I used superbright LEDs but it doesn't match perfect.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
yea wow pricey for sure... i went with superbrihgt leds for the trunk and visors.. but def alot cheaper then the bmw kit.. The main bmw kit is worth it, since those are the most used and seen lights.

I wonder if that trunk led will fit the plates mmmm lol..
I agree with you, but I used the BMW ones for under the dash too, they are seen all the time.

Nice. I got the 10 piece kit. I will need to get the OEM trunk LEDs too. I used superbright LEDs but it doesn't match perfect.

I highly recommend the 2 bulbs (C5W 38mm festoon) for the under dash as well.

The Philips 6000K 43mm festoon matches pretty well for the trunk. Its a little brighter than the BMW LED too.

I see pics from some Japanese forum and the BMW trunk LED is very very bright and the color temp matches with the rest of the kit.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I agree with you, but I used the BMW ones for under the dash too, they are seen all the time.

I highly recommend the 2 bulbs (C5W 38mm festoon) for the under dash as well.

The Philips 6000K 43mm festoon matches pretty well for the trunk. Its a little brighter than the BMW LED too.

I see pics from some Japanese forum and the BMW trunk LED is very very bright and the color temp matches with the rest of the kit.
Where do you get the OEM festoon LEDs from? My usual go to ECS Tuning doesn't seem to carry it while they do have the trunk LEDs.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Nice. Do you mind posting the approximate price for each of the light packages?

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice. Do you mind posting the approximate price for each of the light packages?

Thanks,
Randy

I am in Canada, so the price is higher here. But with the hookup price I get, its usually on par with US pricing from Tisher. The trunk and 2 piece kit just came out recently, so its still not listed in the computer for some online dealers like Tisher.

63122212788 $120
63122351265 $30
63312348803 $40

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I am in Canada, so the price is higher here. But with the hookup price I get, its usually on par with US pricing from Tisher. The trunk and 2 piece kit just came out recently, so its still not listed in the computer for some online dealers like Tisher.

63122212788 $120
63122351265 $30
63312348803 $40
Thanks. Yeah I couldn't find 63122351265 or 63312348803, but I found the 10pc 63122212788 for about ~$100 online.

Will look into this, thanks! Do you feel the dome lights are too bright? I read some threads on 5series.net and some people thought the dome lights are too bright.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Randy, ECS tuning has the trunk lights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks! Are you going to Bimmerfest? If so, will you have the 10pc set installed by then? I'd like to check them out if possible before I pull the trigger. I'm a very picky guy and am always skeptical on ordering stuff before seeing the results in person first.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Thanks! Are you going to Bimmerfest? If so, will you have the 10pc set installed by then? I'd like to check them out if possible before I pull the trigger. I'm a very picky guy and am always skeptical on ordering stuff before seeing the results in person first.

I have the 10 piece kit in now. They are perfect. They are white and not too bright. They also match the look of the LEDs in the bottom of the side view mirrors. Not sure about bimmerfest but if I do, I let you know.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have the 10 piece kit in now. They are perfect. They are white and not too bright. They also match the look of the LEDs in the bottom of the side view mirrors. Not sure about bimmerfest but if I do, I let you know.

Nice. Lemme know. Would love to check them out.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. Yeah I couldn't find 63122351265 or 63312348803, but I found the 10pc 63122212788 for about ~$100 online.

Will look into this, thanks! Do you feel the dome lights are too bright? I read some threads on 5series.net and some people thought the dome lights are too bright.
The reasons why I bucked up and got the bmw kit:

1, all the other kits way too bright.
2, all the other kits got a blue tint to it and too cold in color.
3, BMW LED dims all the way to off while other kits will only dim to about half way.
4, Quality, I am confident BMW wont come out with a kit that lacks in quality.

The trunk light is listed at ecstuning, but I cant find the 2pc. C5W kit listed anywhere else.

·
Registered
70 Posts

63122212788 $120
63122351265 $30
63312348803 $40
Are the part numbers usually the same globally?
I might have to find out the UK price for the 10 piece kit and undertake my first mod, I've only had the car 2 weeks!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are the part numbers usually the same globally?
I might have to find out the UK price for the 10 piece kit and undertake my first mod, I've only had the car 2 weeks!
all BMW part numbers are the same globally. That goes for other car manufacturer as well.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
i might get this thanks for the info.

Reactions: bsze

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Are the LED p/n's for the visors also one of the 3 listed above? Sorry, couldn't really tell from the various posts about them.

Thanks,
Randy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts