BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive owned my M5 for around 2 months now, and I am absolutely in love with it!

Now I know the M5 motor is a high compression motor, and my logic says that it would be okay to put in 100 octane when I go to the speedway, so its safe to put in 100 octane correct?

Also, Ive always used the Lucas gas additive that cleans the fuel injectors, this is safe to put in with the BMW correct?

Sorry if these seems like stupid questions, but coming from a Chevrolet, Ive quickly learned that BMWs are pretty sophisticated machines. Thanks

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
BMW says in the manual not to add any fuel or oil additives -- they can void the warranty, but you are no longer under that.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Higher won't hurt.

There is a school of thought that says once you get to 95, 96 there is nothing left to gain without programming changes (ie performance chips) The DME will remap some paramters to adapt to the fuel, but only within certain limits.

That's what I hear...

A

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Digi said:
BMW says in the manual not to add any fuel or oil additives -- they can void the warranty, but you are no longer under that.
I have CPO warranty, but I wonder how BMW cleans their fuel injectors?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
I think there is a petrol station in Las Vegas that sells 100 octane unleaded street-legal racing fuel from a pump.

Give it a try!

Cheers!

David

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
A station I know of is selling 100 for $4.39 a gallon- the good news about $3.49 pricing on premium is that race gas is not that much more....

Although the station in Sacramento is now over $5.+ for 100... gougers :)

A

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
DavidS said:
Premium is almost $7 per gallon in Sweden...

David
But when you buy it by the liter it feels better....

(Rumor has it tax is around 60% of the gas price in Sweden. Sigh)

A

1 - 9 of 9 Posts