BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody,

I've had my M5 for almost exactly a year and have been lurking this board for about the same amount of time. I bought it from an older woman who lived next door to my grandma who was probably in her late 50's who had no idea what she had. I was over at my grandmothers helping her move into her new place when I noticed it outside of her neighbors garage. Long story short she was about to go trade it in for a Kia and after some convincing I was able to purchase the car for $10k. The car was in great shape except for a dead battery and had 105k miles on it.

Currently the car is in a local shop (The only shop I actually trust that can work on my car in my town) getting the cam shaft position sensor replaced. In the past year I've clocked 30,000 miles of Highway/Backroads driving only. In that time the only maintenance I've had to perform on the car was a brake job, a minor oil leak when I purchased it, Spark-plugs (still the originals at 120k), a brake job and a few visual improvements.

So its been a year and I've decided that I absolutely love this car. The only problem is that the next step of mods that I would like to do to increase the smoothness and drive-ability of this car (Alpha-N, Maybe S/C Kit) I'm having a tough time of convincing my dad essentially (I'm only 22 and due to the price of living around here moving out isn't really an option till I'm making twice what I am now.) The other problem is that the mechanic who owns the shop its currently at wont touch my car if I modify any of the internals.

So what I'm looking for is testimonials from you guys about the following. (Basically whether or not they were worth it, any major problems and how hard they were to work on)

-S/C Kit on higher mileage M5's (This is something that I would really like to do at some point but not if its going to blow my engine.)
-Alpha-N (What was it like when you first got it, any problems, anything to look out for, etc...)

Just as a heads up it took me a solid month to convince him to let me do a muffler delete on the car without him disowning me.

Next up in the pipeline as far as modifications is an Avin Avant 2 and a stage one speaker upgrade from BavSound. And an sub that I'm gonna have my local audio guy price out.

Any other modifications you guys suggest would be great!

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Congrats on beast ownership! Do some searching and reading on the topics you mentioned and you'll get good insight on how to proceed about taking your car in that direction. Big picture, however, and what most seasoned owners will tell you, is that you should get the car running well before moving forward with a tune or S/C. This means some fresh sensors, fresh fluids, and [maybe] newer rod bearings for the S/C route. The S62 responds real well to a S/C kit, but the car should certainly be in line before you strap one on. The Alpha-N tune works really well too, so you might want to contact Evolve. I've had the tune myself for over a year now and no issues. Other guys have had good results with a Jailbreak tune according to testimonials here. I can also attest that a simple Bilstein PSS suspension upgrade will make the car feel new! To that length however, you also need to consider putting on some other fresher suspension bits. Good luck as your beast progresses with the mods!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Congratulations on getting it for such a nice price. As far as drivability these cars, when everything is working properly are spot on. That said the Evolve and Jailbreak Alpha-N tunes are the most popular and from all accounts only improve this car's already stellar performance. But before investing in a tune or a S/C be sure that the car is running at its peak. Also, if going with a supercharger I would refresh the big ends and get a higher performance clutch.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I am 21 years old and living in the same state. I am in Central CT if you are around there.

I am running Alpha N tune as it is good solution but I would make sure everything is up to the speed before you mod especially for the motor. Currently, I am chasing some air leak that cause my idle to stall during cold start but I've plugged back in mafs for now. Once that is fixed, I will have my car retuned for best gain on my stock M5.

For audio, I am not expert on those but I do have a friend who does professional installation for living. He may do it cheaper if he is doing it on the side.

Sending you a PM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am 21 years old and living in the same state. I am in Central CT if you are around there.

I am running Alpha N tune as it is good solution but I would make sure everything is up to the speed before you mod especially for the motor. Currently, I am chasing some air leak that cause my idle to stall during cold start but I've plugged back in mafs for now. Once that is fixed, I will have my car retuned for best gain on my stock M5.

For audio, I am not expert on those but I do have a friend who does professional installation for living. He may do it cheaper if he is doing it on the side.

Sending you a PM.
Hey ///DeafM5 I sent you a text since I cant PM yet. And thanks for the reply's guys, as far as checking that everything is where it needs to be is there specific things I should be looking for at 130K miles or should I just continue with preventative stuff? I got the car back last night from the shop and the owner told me that the car is spotless and it isn't throwing any codes after replacing the cam sensor.

·
Registered
222 Posts
No codes doesn't mean everything is like the day it rolled off the showroom floor . If u want to SC, and at 130k miles, I would definitely look into rod bearings , vacuum lines , clutch and driveshaft, maybe even a whole new engine gasket set. My understanding is that the S62 is a stout motor but it wasn't designed to be supercharged. The kits are great and have a lot of r&d put into them but it's your responsibility afterwards.
A lot of guys on the board have the means to rebuild/repair engines themselves. So consider what others have already suggested to you before taking the plunge. Ultimately the decision is yours to make . Personnally, I would drive and enjoy the car for a while still. Try an Evolve tune ( popular , and reversible if desired ). Supercharging gives u the biggest bang for your buck but looks like you will have to convince your dad first ! :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts