BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious, is there anyone here who will share their experiences and problems with the M5 E60?

For example problems with the clutch, the engine, brakes, chassis/suspension, shock absorbers, iDrive system, the electronic in general, ECU and so on......

Have a nice weekend :wroom:

·
Banned
194 Posts
besides the oil consumption nothing.

Reactions: cram820

·
Registered
983 Posts
I am completely let down by the fact I can't drive it enough.
I agree! I live 2 blocks from my office and am considering moving the office just so I can drive more. Even with the horrible gas mileage. Just had it a few weeks so no problems so far.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am completely let down by the fact I can't drive it enough.
I agree with the above remark, but it is due to the fact that i am away to often and for to long. a part from that my issue is the petrol tank being to small, it should have been at least a 100 ltr. tank.

My car is an April 2006 and at the moment it is seating again at it's heated garage with ONLY 7.450 km (About 4630 mls), on the clock.
Will it be eligible for the lowest mileage 2006 on the board ?

Best regards

·
Registered
24 Posts
Problems with the M5 e60? None whatsoever...you've gotta realize all of the minor maintenance requirements. It's the price you pay for admission, if you love the beast you'll take care of her! Although, I think there is one major problem...most people just can't have one! :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I guess my only complaint would be size of fuel tank. 210 miles on last tank and I am driving the Range Rover today because the M5 is out. Enough left to get to gas station and that is it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would agree with oil consumption, and nothing else.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Three transmission failures averaging one every 30,000 miles. Other than that not much (rest is minor like steering angle sensor, broken navigation, trim falling apart).

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've done 61,000km and had my 2nd clutch installed off warranty (ouch), other than that and fuel consumption...allz good:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
t home from work late because you're always tempted to take the long way home.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have to honestly say that lack of low end torque (ie bunny hopping from 1st gear) gets a little old after a while.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have to honestly say that lack of low end torque (ie bunny hopping from 1st gear) gets a little old after a while.
Ehh not for me. Punching it from a dead stop are too hard on the car anyways. What I do have an issue with is despite the lack of low end torque, the gas mileage is still terrible. My '96 Cobra had a high revving 4.6L and because of this, my around town driving was in the high teens and my highway mileage was in the 20's.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Havnt found much wrong with E60's other than the usual wear items. ie, control arms, shocks, bushes etc. The E61 is famed for its poor tailgate wiring though, but this runs through the whole E61 range. I had mine done under warranty in Jan at a cost of £1700 / $2600. Also having my clutch done at 44k miles, i'll find out tomorrow if im paying or if BMW are paying (i would like to think they are). 2 shocks have been replaced on mine along with horns, control arms, battery, tailgate glass switch and some minor bits.

Great car though.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Oil consumption is annoying, my SMG lags when it's colder outside upon startup. These are things I didn't know about when I got the car.

Gas mileage blows, overall the SMG/auto modes are not very smooth, part replacement is big $$$$, and I wish I had more lowend torque. These are things I knew going into the deal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts