BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished rebuilding all four calipers a few weeks ago on my 01 M5. It completely fixed my left front sticky caliper issue. I also replaced all four rotors with Meyle HD rotors as well as Akebono Ceramic pads all around as well as completely flushed old brake fluid with Ate Typ 200.

Ever since then, I've had significantly less Brake bite. I heard that the Akebono pads have significantly less bite than most other companies such as Stoptech pads, Hawk, etc. However, I had Pagid OEM pads before these pads, and the Pagid had significantly greater bite.

Another issue I have, and my main concern is that I have a noise that increases with speed. The noise is coming from both rear wheels, and as soon as I press the brake pedal, even with the slightest pressure, the noise disappears. It is really annoying. I got rid of the brake squeal issue and now I have to deal with this! Any ideas? A friend of mine recommended greasing the slider pins for the caliper, however, from previous research, I gathered that most people (as well as BMW TIS) recommend to not grease the pins.

One last side note, and this may or may not be related, a few days ago my DSC light turned on and will not turn off. I have no Brake/ABS lights. I have checked Brake fluid and it is full. The only warning light I get is "tire defect", however, I see no noticeable tire issues. Tire pressure is stable. No loss of pressure.

Thanks, in advance. Sorry for the long post. :crying:

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
your lack of bite is the crappy ceramic pads you installed. put the oe pads back on or something similar. i always grease the pins but you have to use the correct lube or you can swell the rubber bushings and the pins will bind in them. use only silicone brake lube on them. noise is hard to say without hearing it.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
I am pretty sure you should read the company recommendation you claim to work for before claiming greasing the pins is a good thing.

OP. I am pretty sure since this problem came after your rebuild that you made an error in your rebuild. Can you please tell me how you cleaned the groove that the square oring fits in?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, well I suppose that explains the weak bite. I only chose to go with Akebono for their "quietness". I was getting crazy brake squeal before with both StopTech and Pagid pads. Both were properly bedded in following procedures on Zeckhausen's site. However, I think the issue may have been due to the sticky caliper rather than the pads themselves.

As far as cleaning the inside of the caliper, I just used some brake cleaner with a towel. There was no scorching or anything on the inside. The old dust boots were still intact, so rust only appeared close to the lip on the piston. However, I used the same method for the front and have no noise there. I will try and record a video with my go pro in the next day or two. If I am able to, I will post it up. But as I mentioned, the noise literally goes away as soon as I hit the brake pedal.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I am pretty sure you should read the company recommendation you claim to work for before claiming greasing the pins is a good thing.

OP. I am pretty sure since this problem came after your rebuild that you made an error in your rebuild. Can you please tell me how you cleaned the groove that the square oring fits in?
im well aware bmw does not recommend greasing the pins and this is because as i said if you use the wrong type of lubricant it will swell the rubber bushings and cause the caliper to bind/not move freely. if you use the correct one there is no issue. i use the pure silicone brake lubricant always have and have never had any issues.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I just finished rebuilding all four calipers a few weeks ago on my 01 M5. It completely fixed my left front sticky caliper issue. I also replaced all four rotors with Meyle HD rotors as well as Akebono Ceramic pads all around as well as completely flushed old brake fluid with Ate Typ 200.

Ever since then, I've had significantly less Brake bite. I heard that the Akebono pads have significantly less bite than most other companies such as Stoptech pads, Hawk, etc. However, I had Pagid OEM pads before these pads, and the Pagid had significantly greater bite.

Another issue I have, and my main concern is that I have a noise that increases with speed. The noise is coming from both rear wheels, and as soon as I press the brake pedal, even with the slightest pressure, the noise disappears. It is really annoying. I got rid of the brake squeal issue and now I have to deal with this! Any ideas? A friend of mine recommended greasing the slider pins for the caliper, however, from previous research, I gathered that most people (as well as BMW TIS) recommend to not grease the pins.

One last side note, and this may or may not be related, a few days ago my DSC light turned on and will not turn off. I have no Brake/ABS lights. I have checked Brake fluid and it is full. The only warning light I get is "tire defect", however, I see no noticeable tire issues. Tire pressure is stable. No loss of pressure.

Thanks, in advance. Sorry for the long post. :crying:
Might go out and re-bed the pads after you check the parking brake adjustment.

I mounted a set of Cool Carbon pads and bled the system with ATE fluid a few weeks a go.

I did a 30-45 minute bed-in session making loops up and down the freeway service road.

The day after I did a HPDE school with 3 pretty heavy track sessions.

My brakes work perfect and so should yours.

Check it out.

Let us know.

Best of luck!

:M5launch:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts