BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this is my first post Hi to all other E34 M5 fans.

I own a 1990 E34 M5 which I have had for over 6 years. Very reliable, great fun and well cared for. I live in the Scotland - we've got some great roads here.

I am looking for advice.

The gearbox is on its last legs I think. Whining in 3rd and 5th gear especially and sometimes in 2nd and 4th. No loss of power or jumping out of gear, though. My BMW main dealer who I have used religiously can be pricey but know their stuff, tells me the gearbox needs replaced. Cost £1991 + VAT + labour.

I have found a second hand one at a scappie, the cost about £1,000 supplied but not fitted.

Any advice?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hello there,

Im in London and my M5 had a gearbox reconditioned at 185k miles. I have the reciept and it cost only £275. They replaced all the seals and bearings. It lost al drive when the previous owner had it done, so it was pretty much gone.

You dont what a second hand one is going to be like.

I will give you the number of the people who reconditioned it.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Cyrus said:
Hello there,

Im in London and my M5 had a gearbox reconditioned at 185k miles. I have the reciept and it cost only £275. They replaced all the seals and bearings. It lost al drive when the previous owner had it done, so it was pretty much gone.

You dont what a second hand one is going to be like.

I will give you the number of the people who reconditioned it.
What mileage is on it now?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I only ask as everyone I know who has had a recon gearboxes has found they tend to last less than 25k miles - compared to 100-150k for an original.

Don't know why!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear that these boxes are difficult to work on. I would be interested in speaking to the guys who did the work.

A second hand box, I agree, is not ideal. Interestingly, BMW dealers will now only supply a re-conditioned box (for 2 grand), rather than a brand new one.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
sabre said:
I hear that these boxes are difficult to work on. I would be interested in speaking to the guys who did the work.

A second hand box, I agree, is not ideal. Interestingly, BMW dealers will now only supply a re-conditioned box (for 2 grand), rather than a brand new one.
Reconditioned or remanufactured?

I've had both a remanufactured engine and gearbox - both have now done 100,000 miles.

The remanufacture consists of swapping out your old unit for one that has had all the internals replaced with NEW components. It's likely that the only reconditioned part is the casing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts