BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ave any views it's worth changing the gearbox oil between the scheduled services ? I'm not sure when it shoudl be changed ?

·
10,458 Posts
the 'scheduled service interval' is never! These are so called lifetime filled transmissions, but i too think it's a good idea to change the fluid occasionally (as did bmw before they started paying for maintanence).
Mike

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I've also heard that the gearboxes are sealed from the factory and the oil never has to be changed:confused: But like others have said it could be because BMW now pays for scheduled services:confused:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I've also heard that the gearboxes are sealed from the factory and the oil never has to be changed
They are not "sealed" except they do have drain plugs that keep the oil from running out on the ground. BMW specifies this as "lifetime" oil, but the consensus wisdom here is to change it at some interval around 30-50k miles, you pick.

There is a huge debate on whether you should use factory oil (about $28/litre retail) or aftermarket fluid such as Royal Purple. (Do a search and see.) There have been reports of transmission failures on similar Getrag transmissions used in Toyota Supras when Redline fluid was used. The owners reported immediate "improvement" in shift quality but then a year or two later suffered failures. The culprit is a non-metal part inside the tranny that can break down in the presence of non-compatible oils.

There are no similar reports, at least on this board, about M5 trannies breaking down where Royal Purple or other aftermarket fluids have been used, but most cars haven't been in service very long. Dave Zeckhausen reports no problems at all after at least a year using Royal Purple in his (or his wife's) car.

Being risk adverse on a $5000 transmission, I opted for BMW factory fluid. The advantage to aftermarket fluid is that people report smoother shifting with it over BMW factory fluid, but filling with fresh BMW fluid also results in smoother shifting, at least for awhile.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks 4speed that was a clear explanation. My 00 has about 55K and is due for a change. When I checked it seemed a little dark in color so I thought it was time for a change. Does the differential use the same fluid? Although the color of the fluid looks clear I probably would want to change that too.

Joe

·
Registered
193 Posts
Okay, dumb question: Can I just go into Pep Boys or Jiffy Lube with a supply of trans. fluid and have them change it? I know the dealer will give me static if I ask them to use Royal Purple, and the independent might need the car all day and will also be concerned about using the "wrong" fluid.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I change Trans and rear end fluid at every 50K on all my BMWs. The comments on this from my dealer mechanics is if you wait to long (e.g. 150K miles) there's more risk to screwing up the trans due to sludge and debre that is dislodged.

BMW may say it's lifetime fluild, but what do they define as an appropriate lifetime? I would guess it would be the warrentee period! Use only the factory oil if you want to play it safe.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Can I just go into Pep Boys or Jiffy Lube with a supply of trans. fluid and have them change it?
Probably, but only IF you *trust* them not to over-torque the plugs in the aluminum casing and to fill the sump to capacity (it should *just* be at the level of the fill hole or dribble out slightly). Personally, I would just do it myself (which I did). It's really quite easy. As for diff fluid, I'm pretty sure it's different from the tranny fluid but I haven't changed mine yet. For the diff, I think it takes synthetic lube for limited slip diffs. Seems to me several people have posted DIY instructions on this board somewhere.

I don't trust any "lifetime" fluids either. Fact is, even good synthetics eventually break down and their additive packages wear out. A rebuilt Getrag is something like $5k.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Jaeger said:
Okay, dumb question: Can I just go into Pep Boys or Jiffy Lube with a supply of trans. fluid and have them change it?
Sacrilegious to use the two names mentioned and the beast in the same statement. That car needs attention and caring that only the owner and qualified technician can give.

Just my opinion

Joe

·
Registered
193 Posts
As lame as the so-called machanics at P*p B*ys (I won't use the name if it's a sacrilege) I am probably 10X lamer. Having me do anything on a car is like asking the mailman to help with surgery.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
The differential uses 75W-140 API GL5 hypoid gear lube. This product is nothing like the GL3-ish lightweight transmission lube that's used in the Getrag tranny. A GL5 EP hypoid product would eat the synchros in the tranny.

I would strongly advise against taking your BMW to any generic chain to get service. The high school dropouts that work there will crossthread your bolts and occasionally forget to put lube back in etc. Too many oops incidents. There are many horror stories from places like Pep Boys, Sears, Jiffy and other's. They generally have sub-standard IQ & are not properly trained, so they treat your M5 like a Kia. The other common practice is to substitute cheaper lubes without your knowledge and stick the cost differential in their pocket. BMW Tech's make top dollar and they know better.

The M5 can be "hurt" very easily from overtightening tranny & oil pan plugs, as mentioned above. It can split the tranny case and require $5K replacement (after a BMW tech notices it a year later).

·
Registered
590 Posts
Lscman said:
The differential uses 75W-140 API GL5 hypoid gear lube. This product is nothing like the GL3-ish lightweight transmission lube that's used in the Getrag tranny. A GL5 EP hypoid product would eat the synchros in the tranny.

I would strongly advise against taking your BMW to any generic chain to get service. The high school dropouts that work there will crossthread your bolts and occasionally forget to put lube back in etc. Too many oops incidents. There are many horror stories from places like Pep Boys, Sears, Jiffy and other's. They generally have sub-standard IQ & are not properly trained, so they treat your M5 like a Kia. The other common practice is to substitute cheaper lubes without your knowledge and stick the cost differential in their pocket. BMW Tech's make top dollar and they know better.

The M5 can be "hurt" very easily from overtightening tranny & oil pan plugs, as mentioned above. It can split the tranny case and require $5K replacement (after a BMW tech notices it a year later).

Well said Lscman and thanks for the info.

Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts