BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.
I have had a leaking gearbox plug for many years now. I have had BMW to sort it out at no vail.
When emptying the gearbox for oil yesterday, I realised that I was only miles away from a complete breakdown. The gearbox should have 1.8 litre of oil. Mine had 0.8 and it was very black. Probably overheated. I hope the gearbox will survive.
I have now learned from BMW that one should put a "thread sealer" on the plug and torque it to 50 NM. I did put the seal on and then I started to screw it in. After a while i realised that I can screw it in all the way!! There is no seating to torque it against!
Is my gearbox "broke" or is this normal that there is no seating?

By the way, the leak has made the gearbox support very soft and they now look spongy. Must be replaced. On the other hand I will probably not have any rsut uner the car in the future ;)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
ilundber said:
Hello.
I have had a leaking gearbox plug for many years now. I have had BMW to sort it out at no vail.
When emptying the gearbox for oil yesterday, I realised that I was only miles away from a complete breakdown. The gearbox should have 1.8 litre of oil. Mine had 0.8 and it was very black. Probably overheated. I hope the gearbox will survive.
I have now learned from BMW that one should put a "thread sealer" on the plug and torque it to 50 NM. I did put the seal on and then I started to screw it in. After a while i realised that I can screw it in all the way!! There is no seating to torque it against!
Is my gearbox "broke" or is this normal that there is no seating?

By the way, the leak has made the gearbox support very soft and they now look spongy. Must be replaced. On the other hand I will probably not have any rsut uner the car in the future ;)
---------------------

how did the gear changes feel?

My gearbox is leaking but BMW reckon its the material that surronds the inseide of the box for prevention of leaks - apparently its made of some kind of paper. I have top top mine up every two months so its no biggie and it actually does not leak but "sweat".

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't understand. Is there paper inside the gearbox? Scary!! :confused:
The gear changes felt quite normal and there was not major change after topping up the gearbox.
You could say that my gearbox was swetting too, but that would be "sauna style" ;) It is pretty obvious that it is the oil drain plug that was not correctly seated and sealed.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
ilundber said:
I don't understand. Is there paper inside the gearbox? Scary!! :confused:
The gear changes felt quite normal and there was not major change after topping up the gearbox.
You could say that my gearbox was swetting too, but that would be "sauna style" ;) It is pretty obvious that it is the oil drain plug that was not correctly seated and sealed.
----------------

ilundber

do you post on Autopower? There is a Karlstad M5 meet on the 31st. I dont know where you live or if you are close - just thought Id let you know if you ever want to go to one.

·
Registered
183 Posts
From memory I think the plug is tapered, so as it goes in it should become tighter - the only problem is that over time the threads may open up and it may be harder to seal, as it relies on the taper rather than a sealing washer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts