BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem this weekend, as I spent about 2 hours playing with a 05' Boxster. While driving for more than 5 min 2 meters behind him at more than 240 km/h I felt my gear box stuck in fifth gear .... It felt very heavy for a mile or two, and could not select any gear. I thought about overheat gears and oil at the same time.
After a few tries, things start to go back to normal. But for my surprise. It was not normal. Very harsh to drive, I hear a rhhhhrrrhrh noise when selecting to 3rd at high revs and very fast. I checked the oil, and it was very low. I added almost 1 litre of ATF on sunday, and I'm planning to change it today. Sometimes is difficult to select rear and I feel some clacks. Any idea ???????
It got better, but deff not perfect. So I'm considering a new one, as a rebuild in Brazil would cost more than my car.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
This sounds very similar to my gearbox problems. I'm about to embark upon getting it recon'd. Mine drives ok when driving gently, but grinds into third if changing from high revs, and if the car is run for more than an hour or longer non stop, then it will not engage 4th gear. And it is a litlle more agricultural going into reverse than i suspect it should be. i have posted about 3 different posts about this, as I replaced the clutch (which was siezing a bit anyway) and slave cylinder, but neither helped at all. I don't think you will have a cheap fix!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try to change the oil, but I've just found an shot getrag 280. It has the case shot. The price sounds very good. As 540,00 Us dollars

1 - 4 of 4 Posts