BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I’m new here and I need your help. My gearbox has had a set of gear #2 synchros replaced, as the previous owner did not treat it well. Clumsy mechanic who carried out this work happened to scuff two teeth on gear 5. While synchros were fairly easy to find, this gear is not available as a spare. Has anyone of you guys a spare/broken S6S420G box dismantled and would be willing to trade this gear, or can you point me in the right direction? Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.
I’ve been offered to have this gear #5 3d scanned and fabricated but this is a last resort that I would rather avoid.
Stay safe!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This gear should have 39 teeth. It should be the one outlined in red on your image. Attached you find a few additional pics.
To get that gear off the shaft a 25 ton press is apparently needed (standard welt is too weak) but you probably know about that already.
20190121_120506_1.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is a future pet project of mine. I have found no information or diagrams of the internals. Do you have any info.
I'm suprised that you were able to find anyone to do the operation. And the synchro that you replaced, new or used?
Plus, your chipped gear shows some shear wear on the teeth. How is the companion gear?
Anyone else, feel free to jump in. I've read all the current info, which stops at opening the case. We're past that .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first shop where gear # 3 synchros (not # 2 like mentioned previously) were replaced managed to get the box dismantled and put back together but failed with that chipped gear. The box was then transferred to another shop that appears to have way more professional approach. Although the synchros are now good (replaced with new parts) they diagnosed significant play on gear 3 & 4 shaft bearings that were not replaced before. My guess is that these bearings might have gained some play when hectically dismantled at the first shop as the car is only 90k and it had no issues other than bad gear # 3 synchros.
The new shop is intending to replace the entire set of 7 bearing. They say they always do that. The documentation they have but only for their internal use I was told. The shear wear is considered to be insignificant and the companion gear is inspected and in good health.
If I manage to finalize this project I will share my experience with you and I might have a tested shop that I will be able to recommend to whoever needs it. Is anybody of you guys willing to help me out with this gear?

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I said this was a pet project, I meant getting information about the disassembly and repair of these transmissions. This is a parts trans, so pm me.
I don't think that the USPS is going to work for shipping as you have no location, so the shop that might be of some service, is where?
My big question is what kind of internal info do they have?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did get your message. Took the weekend off with the coronavirus occupying my family time. Plus the transmission parts are at work. I had that picture on my phone when I responded.
Today I looked in the parts pile and realized that (gear 5) as you call it, is still attached to a shaft.
This is why I was looking for any comparative information. I need all i can get.
I didn't see any highlight of the desired gear in your answer.
I will endeavor to get the rest of it apart.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks Mr. Random Chinese Mask Salesmen pretending to be Japanese.
But you found the wrong forum lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts