BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experts out there that can give me an opinion as to the useful life of the GC coilovers I have on my '03 beast? I have about 50,000 miles on them and the car seems to be riding/driving fine ( with the exception of the snow tires which are coming off soon), but I don't have anything to compare my car to. Spring rates are 430 front and 315 rear. I drive the car like it was meant to be driven with the SS header/x pipe/exhaust, swaybars, Conforti chip, SSK, strut bar etc. Mostly highway miles with probably 5-10 track days on the coilovers. Car is just turning 100,000 miles and still puts a grin on my face every time I start it up!

Thanks in advance for your help.:cheers:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I currently have Bilstein PSS coils on my M5, but I had a well used and auto-xed Ground Control setup in my MCoupe. It should last as long as a regular set of Konis, in fact unless you blow the shock/strut or it begins to leak fluid profusely from the valve you should be OK. Since the Koni is adjustable you would also be able to compensate for wear by stiffening it up slightly as necessary, if you felt the car was getting "soft". The springs probably have a useful life in the hundreds of thousands of miles, and GC offers springs inexpensively so you can buy various rates for only a couple hundred dollars.

Frankly I wouldn't worry about the suspension, but likely the mounts, bushings and arms will need a refresh before the suspension itself does.

Out of curiosity does the GC setup for the M5 creak and moan over bumps? With the MZ3 system, its well documented it creaks and moans like an old man getting out of a La-Z-Boy.

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
Any experts out there that can give me an opinion as to the useful life of the GC coilovers I have on my '03 beast? I have about 50,000 miles on them and the car seems to be riding/driving fine ( with the exception of the snow tires which are coming off soon), but I don't have anything to compare my car to. Spring rates are 430 front and 315 rear. I drive the car like it was meant to be driven with the SS header/x pipe/exhaust, swaybars, Conforti chip, SSK, strut bar etc. Mostly highway miles with probably 5-10 track days on the coilovers. Car is just turning 100,000 miles and still puts a grin on my face every time I start it up!

Thanks in advance for your help.:cheers:
They're just Koni's with Eibach springs... the springs will not weaken during the life of the car. If you see leaking around the adjustment fitting or where the shafts enter the bodies then they need rebuilding... IIRC Koni charges about $60 or so for each one.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all.
No squeaking or groaning that I can hear over the SS exhaust and I'll look forward to skiing with you next year Doug.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts