BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Gauging Interest: NEW HOOD & REAR BUMPER

22K views 189 replies 29 participants last post by  John Morgan Evans 
#1 ·
Hello all,

so I've talked about it for quite some time now but am taking the necessary steps to make it a reality.

I'm looking to make my hood and rear bumper that you all have seen in pictures over the months.

Hood:
Will be using an OEM hood and modifying it with the mold to make sure fitment is OEM
Material will be fiberglass, as it is roughly the same weight as the wet-laid carbon hoods you see.
Design will feature a powerdome and two vertical vents on each side of the hood, they do function.
The vented section will be a floating vent design with vacuum formed carbon to keep the aesthetic and craftsmanship there.

Rear Bumper:
Will be using my bumper (a modified OEM bumper) for the mold to ensure fitment is factory.
I will be using fiberglass as I am not a huge manufacturer unless you want the piece to be fairly pricy.
It will feature the large vertical vents behind the wheels, but you will be able to put your aftermarket diffuser on it.

Here are the designs:

Here's a video with the car and pieces on:

If we could start a list to see who's interested and how many I have to order the first time around it would make my life easier :)

There are some things I want to discuss with you (members) though to make it convenient for everyone:

1. Price point
2. options (i.e. painting before shipment)

and anything else you can think of.

Thank you for checking it out and to all the moderators and admins if you see this post as a disagreement to the board policy please delete but don't ban me. Just trying to bring something to everyone.

See less See more
1 5
#8 ·
I'll make pre-painted parts an option. But don't expect china painted pricing. Wont break the bank either.

It's looking like I'll be able to do it for under a $1000 but not by much.
Bumper I'm still waiting to hear back on from the molder

im interested in the hood, but it's gotta be not over 1k.
Interested in the rear bumper but depends on the price. Thanks John.
Front hood if its below 1k.

#5 ·
im interested in the hood, but it's gotta be not over 1k.

#7 ·
Front hood if its below 1k.

#11 ·
Any chance for E63 M6?

#14 ·
Interested in the hood!

#18 ·
Interested in hood painted.

#20 ·
+1 :)

#21 ·
Any chance you can do the hood with just the power dome and no vents? If so, is it possible to some now do the dome in CF while the rest is in fiberglass? I had always thought about getting the Vorsteiner CF hood and painting everything but leaving the dome exposed.

Might be interested in the rear bumper as well.

#23 ·
I technically could, but it would be more expensive since that would be custom on top of the good. I'm trying to keep the price down because frankly it looks like I might be losing money on doing this for everyone so any custom touch should be done after or I'll do it for you for extra.

The duke dynamics hood was just announced to be $1,950 for single sided carbon. If people think it's going to be light because of that then they're wrong because the core will be fiberglass, hence single sided carbon.

Lol you guys should! would be a cool photoshoot ;)

Ohh great so we are going to be triplets again in N.Cal......:hihihi:

#22 ·
Ohh great so we are going to be triplets again in N.Cal......:hihihi:

#24 ·
john how long will this take you think?

#28 · (Edited)
5 Weeks until the first one of each is produced.

Hood Price is set at $950 each, and that means the hood, and the CF Floating vent.
Still working on finding the best price to get these painted, and shipped (also INT. shipping)

Bumper Price I'm still working out.

So far looking through the thread this is the breakdown of interest (I know some of you are unsure, but just so I can get an idea):

Hood:
1. Jchris
2. Kendall993
3. IndyRedBeast
4. ACG
5. pnguyen
6. evilb
7. e39_415
8. Wootz_steel
9. Sharpie12
10. EuroCarFan

Bumper:
1. Kendall993
2. AngelSlayer
3. lookgudcruzin
4. PurevilM5
5. EuroCarFan

Questions, Concerns, and comments are more than welcome guys :flag:

#33 ·
One comment....remove Tony from the hood list :eek:h:

kinggf

#35 ·
John what about the carbon fiber side skirts you have on yours?

#37 · (Edited)
ok, how much would those go for you think?

#38 ·
They were made for me at the shop I use for 1200 for the set.

Pricey for two long shaped strips of carbon for some people but I've always wanted to see the look on a 5. probably could be much less if I found the right manufacturer

ok, how much would those would go for you think?

#39 ·
John not to rock the boat but is this possible (removing the two outer vents)

#43 ·
Looks pretty good too but i think the original one looks better.

#41 ·
wow $1200?!?:eek:oohhh: that's more then the hood, reasonable price i think would be around $500, going to use them for your new project?

#42 ·
My hood total was 2K. I'll be honest
Took a VIS GTR hood, rounded the dome and cut the vents on the inside. The VIS hood looks like garbage, has the right ideas but wrong execution. So I had them get it and modify it for me (they do great custom work)

Whatever vehicle I have it will go to them, and if a vast amount of members want I'll produce what I've designed. Simple as that :)

#46 ·
All I did was take Johns hood and delete the side vents lol and yep it looks a lot like the Vorsteiner hood but honestly I was not aiming for that.

I will not cause any issues with trademark problems I just photoshopped it and voilla.

To the other John (AS) I know you want the bumper but that's where it starts LOL.

#48 ·
I know I know I've played with the design multiple times and it comes off as a "knock-off" vorsteiner. :(

haha he has a point John, I'm thinking you'll cave to the hood, at least you'll cover the vents and rock it ;)

Perfect thank you for the feedback.
There would have a to be a LOT of members getting it just for me to break even. Remember I'm not a company that owns the machines or means to make body parts. I've had to research and find a place to do it that I can trust and will do a quality job so everyone gets good parts. It's costing me a lot of $$ to make this happen, if I lose I lose but as long as everyone's truly happy with what they get I can't be too mad, after all what's more flattering than someone wanting to rock your design?

$950 is a fair price for me because not only does it look nice but i can be sure its going to be oem fitment. So yes i think its going to be a fair price. But if there's alot more members interested dont you think the price will drop? lot's of people here as you can see are considerd about the price not being too high. Plus paint is going to be another factor. For me i can get mine painted locally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.