BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the way home from visiting our son in Vermont, we stopped at a hotel in Illinois last night and I was too tired to fill up and we went to bed and let the storms pass overnight. Luckily we missed the hail they had just south of here. This morning I put in 17 gallons of premium at $4.59 a gallon and last night it was $4.19 a gallon on the sign. $78 for a fill up and I just stood there and said to myself, there is no sense in getting angry with things I have no control over.

We've been lucky in the US with reasonable gas prices for a long time and the M5 has the best highway mileage of any vehicle I own right now, but when I turned on the radio and one commentator said the cost rise was because of refinery shutdowns in Louisiana, another said it was because oil is bought on the open market in US dollars and the US dollar is down, and on TV in the hotel this morning it said it was because of the situation in Libya and other countries vying for oil from different ports that relied on Libya, I got the idea it's just an excuse for them to jack up the price of gas and no one really knows what's going on. I still remember the days of gas wars in the 1950s when I first started driving and 19 cent a gallon gas - yep, I'm an old fart! I realize it's all supply and demand, and with demand down in the US with more economical cars, some other countries like China, have greatly increasing demand, but when we left 7 days ago I paid $3.79 a gallon for premium. Time to get on the highway and once I get behind the wheel of my M5, turn on some Paul Muriat on the CD and put the seat heater on, it will make me realize once again, how much fun driving can be in the ultimate driving machine, in spite of the cost of gasoline! Sorry, I just had to vent.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I filled the beast last week at home in Scotland and a LITRE of high octane gas (Shell V-Power) was £1.40 = $2.28.

I am angry because around 70% of that is tax.

Rant over :(

·
Registered
841 Posts
we have nothing to b!tch about compared to you guys

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
We've been lucky in the US with reasonable gas prices for a long time

if you take out taxes fuel prices are not that much different. we just don't get raped as bad on taxes like they do in other parts of the world.

I filled the beast last week at home in Scotland and a LITRE of high octane gas (Shell V-Power) was £1.40 = $2.28.

I am angry because around 70% of that is tax.

Rant over :(
and you should be. it is down right criminal that governments can tax you 70% on anything!

·
Registered
419 Posts
gas prices high...should be a good time to pick up this gas guzzzling beast!

·
Company Representative for ADV.1 Wheels
540 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can beat all your prices at gas :crying::crying: if i recalgulate a bit, we in denmark pay fore 1 gallon of 98 9.14 $ ...! And thats not all. My beast have waited fore a year in the garage, and will probably have to wait another year before i saved enough fore the tax to get it on plates. I payed 12000 $ for the car , and have to pay another 29000 $ in tax :eek: so yes it sucks to buy car in denmark

·
Registered
911 Posts
OH you americans, you have so cheap gasoline! :)

We have about 1.65€/litre (98/V-power) And after few months it will raise moore beacause holiday season starts...

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
OH you americans, you have so cheap gasoline! :)

We have about 1.65€/litre (98/V-power) And after few months it will raise moore beacause holiday season starts...
It's the taxes your governments put on gasoline that make the prices that way. Everyone pays the same price per barrel of oil on the open market.

Just sayin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Forgive me if I'm hijacking this thread but is their any maintenance items we can do to get the most mile per gallon? I recently did air filters and O2 sensors and my fuel filter is pretty new. It helped a smidge. Anyone got any ideas? I might try the hydrogen gimmick.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Forgive me if I'm hijacking this thread but is their any maintenance items we can do to get the most mile per gallon? I recently did air filters and O2 sensors and my fuel filter is pretty new. It helped a smidge. Anyone got any ideas? I might try the hydrogen gimmick.
Buy a Prius! :deal:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
E55AMG2 is right. Driving slower will save you some gas and improve gas mileage. I've been driving just a smudge slower than I normally would and I find that it's a bit more pleasurable and enjoyable in the beast (not that it wasn't before!)...just more time with the beast ;)

the wifey asked me last night to consider buying cheaper gas for the beast (each fill up has been running me around $45-$50 at about once every 1.5 week) ...but i just can't fathom putting 89 octane in the car...the best i get around here is 91...anyone put less than 91 in their vehicle?? fuel filter is less than 3 months old too FWIW.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
E55AMG2 is right. Driving slower will save you some gas and improve gas mileage. I've been driving just a smudge slower than I normally would and I find that it's a bit more pleasurable and enjoyable in the beast (not that it wasn't before!)...just more time with the beast ;)

the wifey asked me last night to consider buying cheaper gas for the beast (each fill up has been running me around $45-$50 at about once every 1.5 week) ...but i just can't fathom putting 89 octane in the car...the best i get around here is 91...anyone put less than 91 in their vehicle?? fuel filter is less than 3 months old too FWIW.
Dont bother with anything less than 91. Buy your wife a hybrid to offset the cost of your fuel.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yesterday was the first time i put 89' i usually put 91.
72$ to fill up the tank.
I was reading something about m5 burning 87 more efficient than 91 when it gets older. Not that i believe it but thought of giving it some old wisckey not just fresh beer.
Handles the same i'd say, normal city driving i mean. Only 30miles on the 89 tank, but no warning lights.

By the way, where i come from 98 is worse than american 87.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Why not give this a try? :biggrinbounce:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts