BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I happened to be standing in line at my service shop today, listening to the discussion between the guy in front of me and the service manager. They were talking about gas choices, and the service manager said something about "staying away from BP gasoline." He recommended Shell or Sunoco. I guess I should have asked right then and there, but I didn't want to be nosy. What's the deal? I've used BP, Shell, Sunoco, Marathon, and I've never noticed a difference between them. Is there something I'm missing here? I know to use high octane, because the beast needs it, but beyond that...?

I'm not trying to bash or finger out any company in particular, I'm just trying to understand the comment and learn something if [since] I'm ignorant about it...

Thanks for any/all replies!

-crds

·
Registered
125 Posts
I try to stick to shell if I can. Even if it is just a market scheme when they their gas reduces grime, it's worth the extra 2 cents for me! Whether it actually does what it says is beyond me, hope it does :)

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
www.toptiergas.com

The difference is in the additive packages, and there is a difference.

I won't say that this is what your dealer folks were talking about since Sunoco isn't one of them, but I thought I'd answer the question about gas, not what they were talking about :)

Given that all fuels leave some deposits, and that the deposits are different, the best advice I've heard is to switch back and forth between brands about every 10K miles.

in other words, use Shell for 10K til it builds some deposits, then switch to another one. This will dissolve most of the Shell deposits while forming their own. Then switch back to Shell to remove the 2nd deposits while forming a small layer of Shell again.

There is no way to prevent all deposits - the best you can do is minimize them.

d-

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Given that all fuels leave some deposits, and that the deposits are different, the best advice I've heard is to switch back and forth between brands about every 10K miles.
Makes sense to me. I heard the same advice for hair shampoos, and I'll hazard a guess that the same applies for nearly any detergent. I mostly run Shell, as the butt dyno tells me the car seems to run better on it than Chevron. Now they're all supposed to be 91 octane (yeah, it's a California thing), but there is an allowed range and my guess is that at least my local Shell suppliers tend to have their premium fuel nearer the top of that range and Chevron at the lower end. Anyway, I do believe there are chemical differences between the additive packages that Shell puts in and Chevron's Techron, so I do switch now and then (but not as regularly as Douglas suggests, only because I don't think of it very often).

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Well over here I run Esso 98 (US 93) because I get it cheaper, but Shell 100 (US 95) does make her run a little stronger according to le' buttometer...

I'm sure some time ago I read some endless threads on gas/octane debates, but will not start one, as buttometer works for me ;)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I use Shell where possible and then whatever is available if I need gas. So far, so good.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I must have the same butt dyno as I feel Shells is a bit peppier than Chevron. We have 92 octane here, so wonder if the same idea of higher percentage applies here in WA too. Shell is the local refinery here, least I know its refined here. It is also a few cents higher than Chevron.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I live on the Canada/US border and have worked in a Sunoco Refinery for 35 years...we trade off batches of gasoline between companies all the time..There is truly no tried and true method to determine if gasoline is from Shell, Exxon, Sunoco, etc. There are subtle differences in some additives, however it would never be noticed in daily driving of any car..Sunoco Ultra 94 is my steady diet. If I am travelling and it is not available, then the highest octane wins

1 - 10 of 10 Posts