BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I changed the oil myself on my 2003 M5 for the first time. Thanks to HDClown's dummy proof instructions everthing went smoothly. I used a Shurflo electic oil extractor and it was a bit easier than the pump versions that I've used on other BMWs.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59083

I was surprised at the relatively strong smell of the used oil (had about 5000 miles on it)... is a gas smell normal? If not, what is the likely cause? FWIW, my car burns about 1L/1000 miles with normal commuting.

I thought that I had read something about this in the past but wasn't able to turn up anything... thanks.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If there is truly gas in your oil, you may have a problem. Sometimes it's valve guides...head gaskets, etc.

IF you still have the used oil, you can be sure by sending a sample of the oil to Blackstone Labs for diagnosis. They'll do a general analysis, but tell them you're symptom and they'll pay close attention to that particular item.

Blackstone Laboratories

Good Luck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M-Fünf said:
If there is truly gas in your oil, you may have a problem. Sometimes it's valve guides...head gaskets, etc.

IF you still have the used oil, you can be sure by sending a sample of the oil to Blackstone Labs for diagnosis. They'll do a general analysis, but tell them you're symptom and they'll pay close attention to that particular item.

Blackstone Laboratories

Good Luck!
Thanks for the very helpful feedback; I do still have the oil. Will send off a sample asap and report back. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
You probably already know this, but go to their website and request a kit. They'll send it to you with return information and a form.

The normal procedure is to capture oil from the middle of the draining process. Since you've already drained all the oil, you can only take a sample, but since you're really most interested in gas in your oil, just let them know that...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Usually gas in the oil gets there from 1 of 2 ways: Damaged cylinder not firing or leak down of the fuel injector on shut off. If the smell is stong, I would get the oil analysis. I the meantime, change oil a little more frequently.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2beemer said:
Usually gas in the oil gets there from 1 of 2 ways: Damaged cylinder not firing or leak down of the fuel injector on shut off. If the smell is stong, I would get the oil analysis. I the meantime, change oil a little more frequently.
Thanks. The smell is pretty strong and I assume that if a cylinder wasn't firing I'd know it so it sounds like the fuel injector is the likely culprit. I ordered the blackstone kit yesterday... I assume that the test will still be valid if the oil sits for a couple of weeks (the time it takes to get the kit)?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
twells said:
Thanks. The smell is pretty strong and I assume that if a cylinder wasn't firing I'd know it so it sounds like the fuel injector is the likely culprit. I ordered the blackstone kit yesterday... I assume that the test will still be valid if the oil sits for a couple of weeks (the time it takes to get the kit)?
Like it was said earlier, the test is like a urine sample where the best results are caught midstream, not when you first dump the oil, and not at the end. That way the good and the bad are accurately represented.
Cap it up and it should be ok.
Good luck:cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts