BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a great drive yesterday from Park City, Utah to Pocatello, Idaho and back- a round trip of about 380 miles. The average speed of 83.5 mph was no real surprise given that the whole thing is on interstate highways ( even allowing for the 35 miles of 60 mph max construction zones), but what really surprised me was the fuel consumption of 21.3 mpg. Given that a fair portion of the trip was between 95 and 105 mph, I was amazed to see that kind of fuel consumption. That's almost as good as my old M3!! Anyone else surprised, or is that de riguer for our cars? ( This is the first time I've taken it out for a long cruise.)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I timed the trip for the day after Memorial Day when most of the HPs were taking a well deserved day off. Oh, and the new V1 helped a little as well!!
davem3smg said:
I would think that those kind of speeds would be in an optimum range for that big ole' V8 of yours.

What I'm more curious about is how did you not get pinched doing 95-105 for 380 miles!?!?

·
Registered
481 Posts
The highest mileage I've gotten from a tank of gas, is about 20.8 all freeway miles, averaging about 80 or so (according to the OBC). However, with my 740i, I've gotten over 27 mpg averaging the same speed.

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
PCUT said:
Took a great drive yesterday from Park City, Utah to Pocatello, Idaho and back- a round trip of about 380 miles. The average speed of 83.5 mph was no real surprise given that the whole thing is on interstate highways ( even allowing for the 35 miles of 60 mph max construction zones), but what really surprised me was the fuel consumption of 21.3 mpg. Given that a fair portion of the trip was between 95 and 105 mph, I was amazed to see that kind of fuel consumption. That's almost as good as my old M3!! Anyone else surprised, or is that de riguer for our cars? ( This is the first time I've taken it out for a long cruise.)
Excellent mileage, since the highway rating is 21 mpg, and that is usually achieved at around 60-65. I recently got 24.7 averaging 76.6 mph on hilly interstate, but I cheat!!! :1: (see sig!). :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
From Ft. Lauderdale to Delaware (1,100+ miles) my average speed was ~60mph (ranged from stand stills to 90mph) with an avgerage of 23.5 mpg.
Daily driving to and from work, little league etc, I'm in the 16.5-17 mpg range (sport button on 90% +).

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
my long term average is 19.2 but i baby the car. i've always been curious what the optimal speed in 6th is for best fuel economy. that i'd be interested in hearing about....

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
cohenfive said:
my long term average is 19.2 but i baby the car. i've always been curious what the optimal speed in 6th is for best fuel economy. that i'd be interested in hearing about....
Find a long stretch of lightly travelled highway. Then vary speeds and reset the fuel consumption. Longer the time at a given speed, the more accurate the results. I would guess somewhere around (a boring) 50-55 will be optimum.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow!! I'm getting about 13 mpg city and highway, but I also just got my car last week, so I've been "doing a shake down" on it:noSMG:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
cohenfive said:
While it isn't likely that many in the US will do so, I find that the optimal speed in 6th is between 3500 and 3800 rpm, after that fuel economy isn't important any more. ??????

During my first year of ownership I did attempt a short trip keeping the speed down to 60 mph, I found it too boring to continue for the entire trip but saw a return of around 22 mpg on the car computer. :eek:

If I accelerate moderately and just go for cruise speed at 100 to 110 mph (low 3000 rpm range), I average around 18 mpg.

One last note, the M hasn't been my only BMW but the OBC has been one of the most accurate, being the engineer nerd type I nevertheless do the math each time and compare it with the OBC.
Ken

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Over the last 10,000 miles - avg. speed: 48.9; consumption: 16.8

Lots of "spirited" driving.

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
SCORPIO said:
Over the last 10,000 miles - avg. speed: 48.9; consumption: 16.8

Lots of "spirited" driving.
Wow, I'll say, given your high avg speed! :1: I have about 18.4 long term consumption and avg speed in the mid 34's. IMHO, it makes more sense to post speed and mileage the way Scorpio did to get a true read on consumption.
Now, let's all find some open road and get those average speeds up!! :M5rev: :M5launch:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
full disclosure:

35.1 avg speed, 19.2 avg mpg

had the avg speed up to 35.7 when i took my daughter to san luis opispo for the day to look at cal poly a few weeks back...3 hrs 5 mins down, 3 hrs 45 mins back (we hit traffic).....

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
City driving gets me mid to high teens (on average ~17). The best I've done on highway cruising was on 400 mile journey from NY to Montreal: up until the border 23.5 according to OBD with an average speed in the high 60s.

However, after the boarder it is a totally different story - consumption increases exponentially and proportionally to WOT. I play the 'uneducated foreigner' once reaching the Canadian lands (I also hold a European driver's license) and 'confuse' the 100 Canadian speed limit as it beeing in Mph, not Km/h. Needless to say, I am often in violation even if it were 100 MpH, but hey, considering that one is going for the Montreal F1 Grand Prix (in a Beast no less), a slow speed becomes simply inconceivable hiha So for the last 60 miles or so, back we go to consumtption in the teens...

Luckily, so far, I've been able to get myself off the hook, mostly thanks to the foreign DL (and it certainly helps to tell the Canadian cops Jacques Villeneuve is the best driver that ever lived, along with his deceased dad of course) :M5thumbs:

Leaving in a week for the same event again, so will update the consumption figures I see.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.