BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently did the upgrade, and initially, I thought it was great, but then I heard about powerchip, and a local person which both would be better.

Either way, my question revolves around gas milesage. I notice I am getting less mileage now with the software upgrade than I was before. From 13.9/litre to 13.3/litre.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
more power takes more fuel, makes sence. Thats why the enzo gets 7mpg.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the same Dinan software (came with the car) and I have noticed that my mileage is a little worse than many other owners. There's no hp increase from the software, but throttle response and redline are both increased, each of which would presumably affect gas mileage depending on how the car is driven.

It's too early in the morning for me to translate your mpl to mpg, so I don't if it's equivalent to what I'm getting.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Dinans software stg 1 yields ZERO power increase. The reason that you mileage has decreased is due to the fact that the throttle tip in mapping has become more aggressive and the throttle bodies open faster and hence the car adds fuel faster than before. The more aggressive you make the throttle mapping, the worse your fuel mileage will become.

Although I can say that because Powerchips leans out the car a little and it runs more efficiently, even with the more aggressive throttle mapping, you can expect about a 5-10% increase in mileage IF you can stay off the throttle. Yet most people will not notice the increase as they enjoy the increase in throtttle response and power more.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone. All makes sense. Just wondering if I was the only one that experienced it.

Gonna do the CAI soon. Got the tubi exhaust, and new rims (which I am gonna paint the center of). Will post pics soon.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Interesting since I did the stage 2 software, CAI, MAF's and SS exhuat I have seen a .7 MPG increase. This is with similar driving habits and trips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts